You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Feedback Everything Counts In Large Amounts

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2005, 09:49 AM   #1
Fire Dragon/Pisces

Default Everything Counts In Large Amounts

well I just saw how many times ppl get redirected to previous threads
or other pages with their problems... the very same problems again and again...
so, couldn't we cut and paste the CONCLUSIONS & SOLUTIONS for each game we already
"consumed and digested" to a separate page? Not our full conversations of course,
just the final SOLUTIONS (like what they have at ntcompatible.com
but we'll be absolutely-utterly-O M E G A comprehensive )

Then we shall redirect ppl to a nice collection of titles, columns showing
our assessment on their compatibility level with win32/XP/DOSBox (say, in percents) and so on.
This, IMHO, would be a much more efficient and quick way to deal with older titles.
It is a LOT OF WORK, I admit. But all starts are difficult aren't they?
I say let us carry out this noble undertaking!
and Let Your Holiday Be Fun-Packed! (freely after Depeche Mode)
Old 12-12-2005, 09:58 AM   #2
fov
Rattenmonster

It's a great idea, but as you said, it would take a lot of work.

As a next-best option, I encourage people to use the search feature *before* posting a tech question. Often, the same question has already been asked and answered. When I have a tech problem I'm impatient and want an answer right away, so I understand why people do this. But it is a main reason why we end up directing so many people to old threads.

Hmm... let me think about this a bit more. Maybe we could just have a sticky thread in the tech forum that links to threads about common problems and solutions (with specific games, as opposed to general XP tips). That would be easier to put together than some kind of a database... but it still wouldn't ensure that people read that thread before posting their own.
Old 12-12-2005, 10:19 AM   #3

DOSGuy already suggested something like that some while ago (limited to DOS games). See my reply there; I still stand by what I said at the time (that was, once again, only about DOS games, but the reasoning is essentially the same for newer ones).
Recently finished: MCF: Escape from Ravenhearst [+], The Walking Dead, ep. 1 [+++], Gray Matter [++]
Old 12-12-2005, 10:50 AM   #4
Fire Dragon/Pisces

Jingle Belle,

what you suggest seems a good compromise.
but eventually you will support the database concept, too...
don't argue with my eerie premonition...

Great Elf Prince of the Second Age,

you are STILL one of those ppl around whose posts I read IMMEDIATELY
no matter what they write about...

so YES I can clearly remember what you said. Still I decided to win the
board for my cause so I will reword this msg every once in a while...
until the database (I HAVE A DREAM OF UNITED... what???)
is created OR I am banned out forever
----------
I am all right... and the voices say the same
Old 12-12-2005, 11:53 AM   #5
fov
Rattenmonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolaes
what you suggest seems a good compromise.
but eventually you will support the database concept, too...
don't argue with my eerie premonition...
Whether I support it and whether it'll happen are two different things.

But okay, I won't argue.
Old 12-12-2005, 12:05 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolaes
Great Elf Prince of the Second Age
Jolaes

Feanor died before the beginning of the First Age...
mumble-mumble... uneducated masses... mumble

Anyway, the problem with your idea, I think, is that you assume that most of the people who post in the Tech forum are looking for information. I believe this is wrong. What they're looking for is not information, but somebody to take them by the hand and walk them through their problem. Because they're unable or unwilling to even analyse what their exact problem is. Because they're unable or unwilling to look for patches. Because they're unable or unwilling to look for information that's readily available on the Internet, in a few limited places (VOGONS, these forums, etc.).

I remember many years ago, when everyone and their dog had their ugly homepage, when there were dozens of fan sites for each game, when search engines were awful. At that time, getting information on how to get a game to work was terribly difficult, as it was spread over a great many sources that you had little chance to stumble upon. A database would have been wonderful at the time.

But not anymore. Now, you have those who are able to analyse what their problem is, deduce what is necessary, and can easily find the necessary information by themselves. An index of a few very useful threads might help those, but it's hardly an absolute necessity. And then you have those who are unable or unwilling to do that, and who'll only want a step by step guide, provided by an actual person.

Of course, you could dream of having step by step guides for each and every game in existence. Good luck making that. Don't forget to consider the various existing versions of each game (look at the recent KQ7 and TLJ threads if you don't see what I mean by that ). And don't forget to also deal with the various OSes, and types of hardware (for instance, configuring the graphics in DOSBox highly depends on your video card [constructor and type], your monitor and your OS). Have fun, and report back in half a millennium when you're done!

More seriously, I guess it would be possible to have a thread pointing at some very useful posts for specific games. It could also point at a limited amount of very useful off-site resources (threads on VOGONS, guides, etc.). I'd be willing to help with that, but that would still require much work, and someone with mod privileges must coordinate it. And, once again, I think that might be helpful, but hardly an absolute necessity.
Recently finished: MCF: Escape from Ravenhearst [+], The Walking Dead, ep. 1 [+++], Gray Matter [++]
Old 12-12-2005, 01:24 PM   #7
Fire Dragon/Pisces

Kurufinwe,

sorry for underestimating your AGE, Prince
well I only have masters (A&H) so probably I'm undereducated

I swear I READ Silm. and Unfinished Tales (1st comp.) but more than 10 ys ago
forgive me...
hey easy with that sword... YIKES!!!
-"report back in half a millennium when you're done!"

Resp1.-Who wants to live for ever...
When love must die

Resp2.-Noooo, I measure out my life with coffespoons, TS Elliot's way

Seriously, thanks for sharing your point of view (in depth)!
You sound quite determined!
*but then again that's what I expected*
Relax you two, expect my next nag only next year

Hey you two want to get a seasns gr card from Hungary? Guess it's not too late if you drop me your addresses.

Last edited by Jolaes; 12-12-2005 at 01:30 PM.