Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   Feedback (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/feedback/)
-   -   I keep getting logged off (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/feedback/12207-i-keep-getting-logged-off.html)

Melanie68 12-10-2005 09:56 AM

I feel kind of stupid because I just deleted all my cookies and I perpetuated that advice and screwed other people up. I also didn't realize you could delete individual cookies.:frown:

Mel

I knew I would have to log in to many other sites again which wasn't that huge of a deal to me but I learned something new about deleting cookies. :)

pinkgothic 12-10-2005 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fairygdmther
I don't think it is realistic to expect the forum members to know the names of the cookies that AG logs into our computers, especially since they're not nearby alphabetically.

Shit. I totally forgot that not everyone blocks 99% of all cookies. T_T I'm being serious - it totally flew past me. And it's ironic, given that I began blocking them exactly for this reason - that there's otherwise so many and I like to know where to find them. Stupid, stupid, stupid. *smacks head against wall* :frusty:

Anyway, in case someone still doesn't know what cookies to delete, here's the two names by themselves as a simple, short list:

@adventuregamers
@forums.adventuregamers

:) I hope that helps someone.

Intrepid Homoludens 12-10-2005 12:16 PM

I also must drop another piece of advice: Always remember what your password is. Write it down and stick it somewhere in case these kinds of things happen. And yes, they do happen. They happened just recently, didn't they?

Lucien21 12-10-2005 12:24 PM

Write it on a post-it note and put it on the monitor ;)

RLacey 12-10-2005 01:15 PM

*goes round to Lucien's house to steal his password*

rtrooney 12-10-2005 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Melanie68
I feel kind of stupid because I just deleted all my cookies and I perpetuated that advice and screwed other people up.

Don't fret about it. And, for everyone that thought I was mad, or angry, you were wrong. Well, not entirely wrong. I was mad, as a person might be mad who is stuck in a traffic jam. I was mad because of the situation, but not at any particular person.

I simply deleted as instructed, which turned out to be overkill. Live and learn.

However, to those that consider some of us stupid, or, to rephrase, less than competent users, because we didn't know the AG-centric cookie files to delete...we're not stupid, nor are you that smart.

As one of the Mods said, how can you expect staff to know what cookies are loaded by AG. If that is a legitimate question, how can anyone expect a casual user of AG to know the nuances of specific cookie removal, or even ask for guidance on same?

I would suggest, that from this point forward that "whenever an upgrade occurs in the future, that results in this type of problem, clearer directions be given as to how to solve a problem that, was in this instance, experienced by many, but expertly solved by few."

fov 12-11-2005 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rtrooney
I would suggest, that from this point forward that "whenever an upgrade occurs in the future, that results in this type of problem, clearer directions be given as to how to solve a problem that, was in this instance, experienced by many, but expertly solved by few."

I think the point here is that no one, including Doug, necessarily knows what this perfect solution is without some trial and error. Once it became clear that the solution given was not adequate, we did edit the instructions to be more specific. If people can post their own experiences with this kind of thing (as people did here), then that's great, because it helps us arrive at the best solution. But it's unrealistic to expect that anyone -- even Doug -- knows exactly what's going to happen to cookie settings, etc. when upgrades like this are done, let alone exactly how to fix it.

rtrooney 12-11-2005 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fov
I think the point here is that no one, including Doug, necessarily knows what this perfect solution is without some trial and error.

How about a sticky General Alert in all sections when new updates are applied. One that says, in effect:

"The last time there was an upgrade of forum software, there were some issues that resulted in some subscribers having to log in every time they visited the AdventureGamers forum. The solution to this problem is resolved by manually deleting directory/filenames. Staff will be upgrading software again on date. While we hope similar problems don't appear, please monitor section/thread for any advisories. It is our goal to insure that nothing interferes with your AdventureGamers enjoyment."

Obviously needs to be edited for each update instance, but that's the general concept.

Ninth 12-12-2005 02:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fov
That's it, and it's something anybody could have done just as easily by looking in the cookies folder.

Hm, if you think anybody can just go into the cookie folder and delete two specific ones, you need to meet my mom. ;)

For all of you who never delete their cookie, well, I shudder thinking about how clustered your computer must be... Signing up again at a few sites can perhaps be a little annoying, but so is washing dishes. In both case, though, it's healthier than the alternative.

EDIT: But yeah, something in the FAQ or somewhere else about this cookie thing could be helpful.

squarejawhero 12-12-2005 01:13 PM

I've still got the problem with cookies cleared.

Firefox 1.7 if you're interested. Sorry doug, being tricksy!

RLacey 12-12-2005 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by squarejawhero
I've still got the problem with cookies cleared.

Firefox 1.7 if you're interested. Sorry doug, being tricksy!

You mean 1.0.7, right? Because I've missed out on v1.6 if not :crazy:...

AGA 12-13-2005 06:37 AM

1.0.7. Since 1.5 is the current stable release...

Naveed 01-02-2006 03:21 AM

I am still getting logged out, even after clearing the cookies.

fov 01-02-2006 09:55 PM

What browser are you using? Do you have it set to accept cookies from this site?

Are you getting logged off from any other sites, or just this one?

Naveed 01-03-2006 01:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fov
What browser are you using? Do you have it set to accept cookies from this site?

Are you getting logged off from any other sites, or just this one?

I am using the recent version pf FireFox, and it is set to accept the cookies. I can see the cookies from adventuregamers.com in the list, so I tried removing them, and logging in again, but still it logs me out. This is not happening for other sites.

tabacco 01-03-2006 03:02 AM

It's some sort of setting with your browser, Naveed. Lots of Firefox users aren't having a problem, which would lead me to believe it's a problem with your browser or your computer rather than our site. Without actual access to your system, though, it's hard to suggest a fix.

squarejawhero 01-03-2006 03:23 AM

Here's my suggestion (sorry for not posting this sooner, Tabacco) - check again and you'll find TWO sets of cookies for AG'ers, not just the one more obvious set. Delete both, sign in.

Naveed 01-04-2006 05:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by squarejawhero
Here's my suggestion (sorry for not posting this sooner, Tabacco) - check again and you'll find TWO sets of cookies for AG'ers, not just the one more obvious set. Delete both, sign in.

Thanks sqj, and others for the tips. It indeed stores two sets of cookies. Now it seems to be working fine, after removing all of them and logging in again.

squarejawhero 01-04-2006 11:15 AM

Glad to help! Sorry I didn't post that sooner. :)

Erwin_Br 01-04-2006 04:30 PM

I'm having the same problem, but only on my laptop which I barely use to browse. Thanks for the cookie suggestion. I'll try it tomorrow.

--Erwin

bigjko 01-05-2006 03:21 PM

For anyone using Firefox 1.5, here's how to clear the AG cookies:

Go into Tools > Options > Privacy, and select View Cookies.

Once there type Adventuregamers in the Search box. This should automatically show all adventuregamers.com and forums.adventuregamers.com cookies.

Select them all, and click Remove Cookies.

You're done!

colpet 01-08-2006 05:35 PM

I'm having similar problems. I use IE. Could someone post a step by step way to remove the specific cookies (bearing in mind I'm severely computer challenged :) )?

I also should mention that this site is very slow. It takes much longer for pages to load that my other forums. Sometimes the page says done, and all I have is the banner at the top. Will the cookie issue fix this?

Intrepid Homoludens 01-08-2006 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by colpet
I also should mention that this site is very slow. It takes much longer for pages to load that my other forums. Sometimes the page says done, and all I have is the banner at the top. Will the cookie issue fix this?

:shifty: I've been having that same problem for weeks.

Fairygdmther 01-09-2006 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
:shifty: I've been having that same problem for weeks.

So have I! In fact I often have to exit out and reload the forum to get to the next thread.

Lynsie

Filmman 01-10-2006 05:21 PM

I get logged off too I alway have it on all the time so Why is that happending.

Erwin_Br 01-16-2006 10:26 AM

So suddenly EVERYONE is having this problem? It only happens on my laptop, even after removing the cookies. I think I must've overlooked a few or something.

--Erwin

fov 01-16-2006 10:27 AM

There was a forum update about a week ago, and everyone would have had to log in again after that. I haven't had a problem with it since then.

Erwin, what browser are you using on your laptop?

Erwin_Br 01-16-2006 03:04 PM

Internet Explorer.

--Erwin

fov 01-16-2006 06:17 PM

And you're not having trouble with any other sites? Maybe you have to add AG to your list of trusted sites? (To do this: Tools / Internet Options / Privacy / Edit.)