Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   Feedback (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/feedback/)
-   -   I keep getting logged off (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/feedback/12207-i-keep-getting-logged-off.html)

Dobee 12-08-2005 06:23 AM

:P .......i didn't know i need to click 'remember me' when i log in again,,so it's twice for me after clearing the cookies.........:crazy:

squarejawhero 12-08-2005 02:42 PM

I'm honoured to be confused with Trep.

I think...

Am I?

pinkgothic 12-08-2005 03:00 PM

How weird :) Clearing cookies helped. Thanks. :)

rtrooney 12-09-2005 03:14 PM

Deleting cookies worked, but it seems a rather drastic step. Deleting cookies doesn't only target the AG problem. Now I have to re-log onto every site I visit.

pinkgothic 12-09-2005 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rtrooney
Deleting cookies worked, but it seems a rather drastic step. Deleting cookies doesn't only target the AG problem. Now I have to re-log onto every site I visit.

You could've just deleted the AG specific ones :P

rtrooney 12-09-2005 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pinkgothic
You could've just deleted the AG specific ones :P

Not easily. Tools|Internet Options|Delete Cookies (IE) is the only surefire way to get them all. Unfortunately, it's using a guillotine to remove a pimple.

RLacey 12-09-2005 04:31 PM

I give it less than ten hours before someone makes the obvious suggestion ;).

On a rather less facetious note, can't cookies be delted manually in Explorer? And aren't they normally named in such a way that one can tell which ones the AG forums have created?

pinkgothic 12-09-2005 04:31 PM

I use IE, and honestly, just

(1) closing your browser to clear any annoying session cookies
(2) deleting the permanent cookies from this site in the Cookies folder

should do the trick. :) Never seen that not work. In fact, honest be said, I've never had session cookies interfere with anything (I certainly didn't bother with them cleaning up my IE for this forum, and it's all fine now).

Dunno, maybe I'm just lucky. :P

pinkgothic 12-09-2005 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RLacey
On a rather less facetious note, can't cookies be delted manually in Explorer? And aren't they normally named in such a way that one can tell which ones the AG forums have created?

Permanent cookies, yes, and yes. :9 You mean to imply rtrooney wasn't aware of that? Hmm. I never thought of it that way. :9 But now that you mention it...

rtrooney 12-09-2005 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RLacey
I give it less than ten hours before someone makes the obvious suggestion ;).

To avoid the suggestion, I happen to like IE. Firefox may be better for some people, but I've tried it, and it doesn't work for me.

If the powers that be here posted a list of the cookies that users should delete that would solve the problem, we wouldn't be having this discussion. They don't, so we're having this discussion.

Yes, perhaps it is possible to find individual cookies, but that's like editing the registry. Trying to do something piecemeal in Windows often doesn't work.

rtrooney 12-09-2005 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pinkgothic
You mean to imply rtrooney wasn't aware of that? Hmm. I never thought of it that way.

Trying hard to hold back. Feel a bit of invective coming on that would probably put me on probation.

fov 12-09-2005 06:04 PM

Quote:

If the powers that be here posted a list of the cookies that users should delete that would solve the problem, we wouldn't be having this discussion. They don't, so we're having this discussion.

Whoa... why so angry?

If you look at your cookies, you should see one that says adventuregamers and one that says forums.adventuregamers. As far as I know those are AG's only cookies, and they're easily identifiable. Deleting them, and then logging in and clicking Remember Me solves the problem. I just tried it myself (first time I logged on using IE since the forum update) and it worked.

I'm sorry you cleared all your cookies and now have to log in to all your websites again, but I'm also frustrated by the hostility directed at the AG "powers that be" over this issue. These types of upgrades happen on websites all the time. Doug didn't know when he did the forum upgrade that it would cause problems with cookies, and telling people after the fact that they can solve the problem by clearing their cookies really isn't a drastic measure. It's a matter of deleting two clearly marked files from a folder... nothing like editing your registry. If you didn't want to clear them all, you should have just asked which ones to delete before you did it.

rtrooney 12-09-2005 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fov
If you didn't want to clear them all, you should have just asked which ones to delete before you did it.

Please refer yourself back to the other thread, where Melanie said the solution was to delete cookies.

Where in that thread, or this one, did anyone suggest that cookies could be selectively deleted? And, using various browsers, the procedure for each? And, why should I think to ask what cookies to delete, when the operative word was to delete them all?

fov 12-09-2005 06:34 PM

A couple of posts up. Obviously not in time to spare you from clearing your cookies, but hey, sh*t happens.

As I said - sorry you have to log in to all your websites again. That's inconvenient, I know. But it's silly to get mad at AG like it's some big conspiracy. Doug didn't update the forum software with the intention of inconveniencing you.

tabacco 12-10-2005 12:01 AM

Quote:

Well, the powers that be here tried to help by posting a suggestion. If you don't like it, youd on't have to do it. You can clear the cookies, or log in every time. That's up to you. I don't especially appreciate the tone, given that I spend my free time working on this site.

AGA 12-10-2005 04:40 AM

It's not a failing of the staff or other forum members that you don't know how to use a browser properly, it's a failing on your part. So your anger is just a little bit misdirected.

Fairygdmther 12-10-2005 05:59 AM

I use IE, and it isn't a question of not knowing how to use your browser - it's easy to delete all your cookies in one fell swoop. I had gone into windows and deleted the adventuregamers one but that didn't fix it. Not until yesterday's post, naming the forums.adventuregamers as the second one to delete, was I able to get it back working. I refused to delete all my cookies, to avoid the aggravation of having to sign back into all my regular sights. If the two cookies had been mentioned early on, there may not have been an angry post. When I found that post yesterday, I'd been just about to ask if there was another. I don't think it is realistic to expect the forum members to know the names of the cookies that AG logs into our computers, especially since they're not nearby alphabetically. Cookie files are huge, and the "find" function isn't available to search with.

Lynsie

Jackal 12-10-2005 07:14 AM

Let's make this really simple. Anyone concerned about deleting all their cookies was more than welcome to ask if there was a way to target AG's specifically. Usually one asks such a question BEFORE taking a "drastic step" on the basis of the first suggestion they hear.

I'm sure such a question would have been responded to kindly and informatively.

natalia 12-10-2005 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jackal
Let's make this really simple. Anyone concerned about deleting all their cookies was more than welcome to ask if there was a way to target AG's specifically. Usually one asks such a question BEFORE taking a "drastic step" on the basis of the first suggestion they hear.

I'm sure such a question would have been responded to kindly and informatively.

First, I just want to say I love this site, and I appreciate all of the hard work the mods and administrators put into it for free and during their free time. But, I'm not really technologically savvy and I took the advice posted on the initial thread to just delete cookies. I didn't know it would affect all of my log ins, and I didn't know you could target specific cookies, so I wouldn't even have known to ask about that.

I can understand the frustration at the situation. I'm definitely not frustrated at any of the mods -- maybe just at my own lack of technical know-how.

fov 12-10-2005 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fairygdmther
I don't think it is realistic to expect the forum members to know the names of the cookies that AG logs into our computers, especially since they're not nearby alphabetically.

It's not like AG staff has some wealth of knowledge about this that we withhold from forum members. I opened my cookies folder and found those two cookies. That's it, and it's something anybody could have done just as easily by looking in the cookies folder. Although I'm starting to be sorry I wasted three minutes on it. :shifty:

I just edited Doug's original post about clearing the cookies to add the names of the two cookies that need to be deleted. Hopefully that will prevent future readers from having to take this so-called drastic step. :P