Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   Feedback (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/feedback/)
-   -   Recent Annoying Ads (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/feedback/12119-recent-annoying-ads.html)

Legolas813 12-02-2005 11:09 AM

Recent Annoying Ads

I've noticed recently that the banner ads you have on this site are also popping up annoying ads that travel with the page when you scroll up and down.

The past few days I have seen one for QuestionMarket.com and one for Circuit City. Both appear in front of the page and travel up and down while scrolling. The Circuit City ad is especially big and annoying, taking up almost the entire screen until you search for the tiny close button.

I know these are from the AG site itself because they always correspond with the banner ad at the top of the page. Just wanted to vent my frustration with these annoyances. Don't let this site turn into Gamespot. ;)

UPtimist 12-02-2005 11:11 AM

Did you... Read this thread already: http://forums.adventuregamers.com/sh...ad.php?t=10740 ?

(Edit): I see you did... Right, just forget about it...

fov 12-02-2005 11:13 AM

The QuestionMarket one is driving me crazy. :frusty:

I know Marek was trying to do away with annoying ads and keep only the innocuous ones but that's proving more difficult than expected. Don't worry about us turning into Gamespot - that's not the intention. AG's just experimenting at the moment to find the best fit.

Are you ever getting these pop-ups on the main site, or just on the forum?

Legolas813 12-02-2005 11:14 AM

Well I didn't know if these were classified as pop-ups. They don't open up a separate page, but instead display in the same page.

EDIT: Sorry posted in the wrong board. How long have I been here?

Quote:

Originally Posted by fov
Are you ever getting these pop-ups on the main site, or just on the forum?

Just the forum and just this past week or so.

Intrepid Homoludens 12-02-2005 11:48 AM

I've been getting the exact same pop-ups myself in the past two weeks.

fov 12-02-2005 01:12 PM

Here is a suggestion that might help IE users disable some of these ads.

Intrepid Homoludens 12-02-2005 01:29 PM

Hey, I think it's working!!!!

(((((Huz)))))

(((((fov)))))

Legolas813 12-02-2005 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fov
Here is a suggestion that might help IE users disable some of these ads.

Hmm, I looked at the browser I'm using (Avant) and it has the options shown below. Haven't tried to change anything yet so I don't know if this will work or not.

http://img233.imageshack.us/img233/8...options0pj.jpg

EDIT: Ah, I remember I use to have AD Blocker checked, but then I unchecked it because it blocks some of the images on Gamespot that aren't necessarily ads.

tabacco 12-02-2005 06:13 PM

Yeah, adblock is way too agressive in blocking stuff. It blocks anything matching 'banner', so among other things it blocks the idle thumb banner images (which are the art at the top of articles and whatnot).

Huz 12-03-2005 05:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Legolas813
Hmm, I looked at the browser I'm using (Avant) and it has the options shown below. Haven't tried to change anything yet so I don't know if this will work or not.

If you tick "Disable Flash Animations" then it should disable the really, really annoying "pop-over" ads (or whatever their official name is!). You'll have to untick it when you actually want to see Flash, though. :)

Legolas813 12-03-2005 08:21 AM

^ Thanks. Got it checked now.

EDIT: Unchecking it. Once again checking something on that list greatly affects how things display normally on Gamespot. Guess I'll just deal with the few ads shown on this site.

Lucien21 12-04-2005 03:31 AM

http://img206.imageshack.us/img206/6...er037284id.gif

Isn't that a cheery ad for an AG site :pan:

Fairygdmther 12-04-2005 07:23 AM

I just had a Circuit city ad here that took the whole page, not a pop-up - are they supposed to do that?

Lynsie

Legolas813 12-04-2005 07:54 AM

^ Yes. That is one of the ads I was talking about in my original post.

bysmitty 12-18-2005 05:31 AM

I'm sorry but banner's like this just arn't acceptable for a family site.
http://bysmitty.netfirms.com/misc/banner.jpg
I understand that AG needs funds to stay afloat but this is just not in good taste.

...bysmitty

Huz 12-18-2005 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bysmitty

Mohh, you should see LucasForums!

But yeah those are annoying, for the sideways glances they attract if nothing else.

fov 12-18-2005 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bysmitty

No, they're not.

Thanks for posting it, so Marek can turn that one off.

tabacco 12-18-2005 11:55 AM

Waitwaitwait... I can meet hot singles ONLINE? Awesome!

RLacey 12-18-2005 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tabacco
Waitwaitwait... I can meet hot singles ONLINE? Awesome!

It doesn't say that. Only that you can meet them tonight. But you probably have to hand over lots of money first :D.

Intrepid Homoludens 12-18-2005 01:28 PM

:shifty: Dating can be so expensive.

squarejawhero 12-19-2005 12:05 AM

Just to note - I'm suddenly getting flashing ads which are screwing with my ability to type responses. Its like typing through mud.

I've never actually tried that, but if I was to type through mud, I'm sure that's what it'd be like. :D

rtrooney 12-19-2005 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fov
The QuestionMarket one is driving me crazy.

I feel the same way about the Circuit City ad. It's fairly unobtrusive when it sits there in banner form, but when it drops down to fill the screen as you're scrolling, it's downright annoying.

Legolas813 12-19-2005 08:54 AM

^ I've been seeing a new pop-over ad on this site that's even worse. It's for some Verizon cell-phone.

Gknight 12-19-2005 09:04 AM

Any pop-up window telling you who have won something like I care.

rtrooney 12-20-2005 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Legolas813
^ I've been seeing a new pop-over ad on this site that's even worse. It's for some Verizon cell-phone.

Is Marek listening?

tabacco 12-20-2005 09:12 PM

Marek sees all. Unfortunately, that means he may not see this particular thread. I'll bug him.

NcroManiac 12-20-2005 10:28 PM

I don't have any ads (except for some werry minimal google ones).
Firefox rules :)

Fairygdmther 12-20-2005 10:29 PM

Now we have sound ones too?! "...just what I wanted for Christmas!" They're getting more and more intrusive! Do you get to preview the ads being placed before they are put on the site?

Lynsie

Intrepid Homoludens 12-20-2005 10:35 PM

Lynsie, didn't you disable the Shockwave Flash Object add-on in IE?

Fairygdmther 12-20-2005 10:40 PM

I did, but that was a pain, since I play flash games daily, and I had to enable it again for them.

Lynsie

fov 12-20-2005 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fairygdmther
Do you get to preview the ads being placed before they are put on the site?

I don't think so.

Fairygdmther 12-22-2005 03:25 AM

Now the commflash ads hide the site, forcing you to either put up with it or find the place to click on it to get rid of it. These keep getting worse. Banners are one thing, but when you have trouble finding the page, this is too much.

Lynsie

Adventurous One 12-23-2005 03:51 PM

Wow. I just experienced an ad that consumed the whole screen and then said that the page was loading. You have to click the close this ad button to get past it. Has anyone else had this problem?

rtrooney 12-23-2005 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fairygdmther
I play flash games daily
Lynsie

One of these days I will get beyond level 14 of BeTrapped.

squarejawhero 12-24-2005 10:20 AM

Just to note, now I'm getting ads freezing the page before I can reply and flashing ads that interrupt the browser text input.

tsa 12-24-2005 12:45 PM

Firefox + Adblock

Firefox + AdBlock must be extremely good at hiding ads because I have no idea what you are talking about. Is it really that bad?

Intrepid Homoludens 12-24-2005 02:59 PM

:frown: Even though I disabled Shockwave Flash Object in my IE browser, there is still a lot of pause when the page loads, as if it's trying to load the ad and run on my screen first. Really annoying. I guess nothing can be done about this, huh?

squarejawhero 12-24-2005 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tsa
Firefox + AdBlock must be extremely good at hiding ads because I have no idea what you are talking about. Is it really that bad?

I'm using that. :crazy:

rtrooney 12-24-2005 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
Even though I disabled Shockwave lash Object in my IE browser, there is still a lot of pause when the page loads, as if it's trying to load the ad and run on my screen first. Really annoying. I guess nothing can be done about this, huh?

I'm thinking something can be done. I.e., disallow any banners that run Flash programming. I would think the powers that be should be able to stipulate that to their advertisers. ??

Marek 12-27-2005 01:00 AM

Hey all - been away a bit. I've had a chance to look at the ads just now. A couple of them ain't pretty.

We don't get previews of new ads, I can only block them after they've been added to the ads pool.