You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Feedback 'Recent threads' list on AG homepage

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2003, 02:11 PM   #1
Schoolgirl From Hell

Default How do you make it appear???

Ok, this is actually a technical question regarding the forum. I was just wondering how to make the recent forum thread appear on the main page. You know, the table on the main page that displays which current thread is going on in the forum? (I really hope I'm explaining this well). Does it come along with the VB board or did the webmaster figured it all out by himself? Explain???

"Or is it I who has penetrated you?"
Old 09-14-2003, 02:37 PM   #2
merely human

On the upper right corner of every page are five little arrow tabs. The second one from the left = 'View New Posts'. This is a temporary setup and will be changed soon.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 09-14-2003, 02:57 PM   #3
Liver of Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mira
Ok, this is actually a technical question regarding the forum. I was just wondering how to make the recent forum thread appear on the main page. You know, the table on the main page that displays which current thread is going on in the forum? (I really hope I'm explaining this well). Does it come along with the VB board or did the webmaster figured it all out by himself? Explain???
If you are talking about the portion on the main page of Adventure Gamers.com; the part that has this picture near it:

then I think that was coded from scratch by the coders of the site. It's usually something that allows the code to access the forum database and find out what the latest posts were and displays them there. If not that, it's likely to be a hack (addon) for VBulletin.
Old 09-27-2003, 03:10 PM   #4
A search for a crazy man!

Send a message via ICQ to remixor Send a message via AIM to remixor Send a message via MSN to remixor

Has anybody else noticed that that section is frequently out of sync with the forums themselves?

Some sort of Writer or Editor or Something, Idle Thumbs

"Some comparisons are a little less obvious. I always think of Grim Fandango as Casablanca on acid." - Will Wright
Old 09-27-2003, 03:20 PM   #5
Friendly Server Admin

It can't be out of sync. Every page load it does a query to get the 15 newest. It does ignore chit-chat, but that's intentional.

As for how we did it, vb3 comes with a file that can build a javascript array of recent posts, or an xml document or an rss feed. None of those worked well enough for us, though, so we made our own. It's really not that hard to do if you know how to use MySQL.
Old 09-27-2003, 03:22 PM   #6

Send a message via ICQ to remixor Send a message via AIM to remixor Send a message via MSN to remixor

Ah, ok. Most likely I was just interpreting the Chit Chat filter as the list being out of sync.

"Some comparisons are a little less obvious. I always think of Grim Fandango as Casablanca on acid." - Will Wright
Old 09-28-2003, 04:02 AM   #7
Whinging Pom

Send a message via ICQ to DomStLeger Send a message via MSN to DomStLeger

There is something wrong with it; the dates seems to be wrong. For example, the BS3 Goodies thread, the last post was today by Theneb but the list syas the last post was 09-26-2003 06:25 PM. Other posts are the same, so only the top four on the list are actually using todays date. This makes the forum look much less active than it really is.

(Edit: it's pretty bad looking at it; for example the Shadow of Destiny thread was posted in today and it's not even on the list)
Still Get Mozilla Firefox! Forget that Chrome and IE rubbish!
Old 09-28-2003, 09:54 AM   #8
Friendly Server Admin

Okay, I rewrote the code from scratch to use our own database class instead of vbulletin's. I also limited the length of topic titles so they wouldn't force word wrapping (hopefully) in the table. See how it works for you now.
Old 09-28-2003, 01:01 PM   #9

Ha! I knew something was up!

Old 09-28-2003, 08:34 PM   #10
Whinging Pom

Send a message via ICQ to DomStLeger Send a message via MSN to DomStLeger

hehe Perfectemon Tabacco, well done!
Still Get Mozilla Firefox! Forget that Chrome and IE rubbish!
Old 09-29-2003, 05:24 AM   #11
Friendly Server Admin

Cool. Before we were using vb3's query adapted to our own system of outputting the data. Now it's all ours