Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   Feedback (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/feedback/)
-   -   Forumite Awards (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/feedback/11906-forumite-awards.html)

Hammerite 11-18-2005 01:50 PM

Forumite Awards

Is it possible for something like this?
Like lots of nominations and awards and crap?
e.g. a 'Most Posts This Year' award

Sage 11-21-2005 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammerite
Is it possible for something like this?
Like lots of nominations and awards and crap?
e.g. a 'Most Posts This Year' award

That sounds like a great idea, except that it would be kind of like belling the cat- Who'll be in charge of organizing it?

Jazhara7 11-21-2005 09:19 AM

This sounds great. Another forum (Steelsings) that I am a member of, currently held their annual Forumite awards (The Essis). You can look at the Rules (and categories with the different awards) here.

And here's the categories and awards again:

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Essis 2005 Rules page
MESSAGE BOARD

Best Newbie:
Best Artist:
Best Author:
Best Poet:
Best Moderator:
Nicest Moderator:
Best Story (with author):
Best Poem (with author):
Best Original Art (with artist):
Best Avatar:
Best Signature:
Most Canon-tastic:
Best Debator:
Best Spelling/Grammar:
Most Helpful Member:
Most Dedicated Member:
Most Sarcastic:
Most Random:
Most Addicted:
Most Desperate For An Award:
Most Smilies:
Biggest Drama Queen:
Creator of the Most Interesting Topics:
Funniest Member:
Biggest Chatterbox:
Tortallaholic:
Member of the Year (Non-US):
Member of the Year (East Coast):
Member of the Year (Not East Coast):

CHARACTERS

Bubbliest:
Sexiest (Male):
Sexiest (Female):
Nicest:
Bossiest:
Craziest:
Flirtiest (Male):
Flirtiest (Female):
Funniest:
Wimpiest:
Loudest:
Best Entrances:
Best Exits:
Best Accent:
Best Baddie:
Best Hissyfits:
Best Wardrobe:
Best Public Entertainer:
Most Original:
Most Dramatic:
Most Eloquent:
Most Entertaining Drunk:
Most Dirty-Minded:
Most Creative Occupation:
Most Likely To Get Beaten To Death With Lobsters:
Most Under Control in a Disaster:
Most Likely To Get Into Insane Situations:
Most Dedicated To His/Her Significant Other:
Biggest Drama Queen (Also Applicable To Men):
Biggest Jerk:
Biggest Jerkette:
Hardest To Understand:
Cutest Couple:
The Village Bike, If You Know What I Mean (Everyone's Had A Ride):
Unsung Hero:
Unsung Heroine:
Best Lower Class Character:
Best Upper Class Character:
Best Member of the Rogue:
Best Child Female:
Best Young Adult Female:
Best Adult Female:
Best Child Male:
Best Young Adult Male:
Best Adult Male:
Character of the Year (Non-US):
Character of the Year (East Coast):
Character of the Year (Not East Coast):

MEMBERS

Nicest:
Funniest:
Craziest:
Friendliest:
Smartest:
Flirtiest:
Loudest:
Best With Words:
Best Plot Ideas:
Best Writer:
Best Sudden Acts Of Insanity:
Best Listener:
Best Storyteller:
Best At Getting Into Insane Situations:
Best Entrances:
Best Exits:
Most Creative:
Most Helpful:
Most Characters:
Most Active:
Most Nicknames:
Most Good Ideas:
Most Dirty-Minded:
Most Dedicated:
Most Under Control In A Disaster:
Most Well-Read:
Unsung Hero:
Unsung Heroine:
Most Improved:
Mentor of the Year:
Newbie of the Year:
Member of the Year (Non-US):
Member of the Year (East Coast):
Member of the Year (Not East Coast):
Lifetime Achievement Award:

The category "Characters" usually concerns the Roleplay of that site (remember Gariel?). But I am sure we could also apply some of it to the characters here. :D

- :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

fov 11-21-2005 09:27 AM

I don't know if I like this idea. I don't want to single people out or make the forum feel cliquish (any more than it already does, at least).

If you guys want to do something along these lines in Chit Chat, that's cool. But I don't really like the idea of AG staff awarding forumites for things because inevitably people are going to feel excluded.

RLacey 11-21-2005 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fov
If you guys want to do something along these lines in Chit Chat, that's cool. But I don't really like the idea of AG staff awarding forumites for things because inevitably people are going to feel excluded.

Ditto.

Oh, and I'm clearly the Most Desperate for an Award; my ego needs further inflation.

Jazhara7 11-22-2005 07:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fov
I don't know if I like this idea. I don't want to single people out or make the forum feel cliquish (any more than it already does, at least).

The Essis winners are not chosen by the mods. The members are the ones who nominate people for the awards. The mods (or a person who decides to manage it), just take care of the paperwork. Also, the nominating is done by email.

Of course, the mods can also vote once each.

All in all, it's all in good humour.

By the way, here are this year's Essi results.

Jackal 11-22-2005 08:21 AM

It still amounts to a popularity contest, which is fun for a few, and not so fun for the many. As Emily said, it creates a cliquish atmosphere rather than a community environment.

Jazhara7 11-22-2005 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jackal
It still amounts to a popularity contest, which is fun for a few, and not so fun for the many. As Emily said, it creates a cliquish atmosphere rather than a community environment.

You've got a point there.

Kirk 11-22-2005 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jackal

Or, we could make sure that everyone is included with SPECIAL awards like Biggest D*#k-head, and Most Likely to Die while Jumping on Desktops. (Both of which I hope to win.)

Popularity may take a part in such contests. But when it comes down to it, personality awards are all about bow-staff skills. I mean it.

Kirk

RLacey 11-22-2005 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirk
Or, we could make sure that everyone is included with SPECIAL awards like Biggest D*#k-head, and Most Likely to Die while Jumping on Desktops. (Both of which I hope to win.)

Popularity may take a part in such contests. But when it comes down to it, personality awards are all about bow-staff skills. I mean it.

Kirk

You want 5645 awards? Because if not, someone is going to be left out, and the law of Sod hath declared that that person will take umbrage.

Fum 11-22-2005 06:27 PM

One way to avoid creating a cliquish atmosphere with a Forumite awards is to only have one catagory, like, say, "Best Member of All Time." Like an MVP award for the Adventure Gamers forum. And maybe we could persuade other gaming forums to select their own MVPs, and have the winners fight it out in a caged MMA fight to the death, or somethin'.

...Wow, what a great idea.... ;)

Jazhara7 11-22-2005 09:42 PM

I think popularity is not really the problem here. I like to think the members here are able to judge people from a neutral point of view. They are fair.

I think the problem is that mostly people that are active enough to be known by the people will be nominated. If someone only posts one post (that maybe doesn't even leave the possibility to make a good guess on that member's character or attitude) and then never posts again, it is most likely they won't be nominated.

This may or may not create a kind of cliqueish atmosphere. It all depends on how we handle it. Maybe you didn't notice, but there are also awards for Newbies.

reno6 11-22-2005 10:19 PM

I propose a new category: Forum Member With the Coolest Lampshade For a Head.

And I nominate: me.

pinkgothic 11-23-2005 07:00 AM

Oh, but I like the idea.

To avoid cliquishness - how about this: Nominations are taken in, the paperwork is done, and about every fifth category or so is filled it at random - without that people know which one, but they know it's happened (and some might be obvious) - and then a fat disclaimer at the bottom along the lines of "Don't take seriously". :P

Just for fun. ^_^

Ninth 11-23-2005 08:00 AM

I'm in! But if I dont get any award, I'll be mad.

Hm, yeah, I think I can see why awards would not be a good idea.

Melanie68 11-23-2005 09:02 AM

Ninth, I would give you an award for the best use of :crazy: .

Seriously, all those award categories Jaz put up - that would be too much for me to wrap my brain around and I would fizzle out after the first 10. I think it's difficult because in order to not hurt someone's feelings - you would need to give an award to everyone (they've gone to this extreme in schools where everyone gets a consolation award) which invalidates the whole notion of awards. Everyone here has their own uniqueness that can't usually be encapsulated into a restrictive award. We just need to give each other the love when we post. :)

RLacey 11-23-2005 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Melanie68
Everyone here has their own uniqueness that can't usually be encapsulated into a restrictive award. We just need to give each other the love when we post. :)

:r

Waaaaaaayyyy too sugary and sweet ;).

Though I love you all :kiss:.

Fairygdmther 11-23-2005 10:35 AM

RLacey

Lynsie

Jazhara7 11-23-2005 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Melanie68
Ninth, I would give you an award for the best use of :crazy: .

Seriously, all those award categories Jaz put up - that would be too much for me to wrap my brain around and I would fizzle out after the first 10. I think it's difficult because in order to not hurt someone's feelings - you would need to give an award to everyone (they've gone to this extreme in schools where everyone gets a consolation award) which invalidates the whole notion of awards. Everyone here has their own uniqueness that can't usually be encapsulated into a restrictive award. We just need to give each other the love when we post. :)

Well, it was just as a guideline. I mean, I don't even know if there are any other Tortallaholics apart from me on these forums (Tortall is the World that one one of the book sequences are set in. Well, Tortall, and the other countries in that world, but most of the plot takes place in Tortall.)

And some of the categories only work if applied to a roleplay chat. Like these:

Quote:

Best Lower Class Character:
Best Upper Class Character:
Best Member of the Rogue:
Best Child Female:
Best Young Adult Female:
Best Adult Female:
Best Child Male:
Best Young Adult Male:
Best Adult Male:
Character of the Year (Non-US):
Character of the Year (East Coast):
Character of the Year (Not East Coast):
Oh, and the "Village Bike" award should maybe be excluded. After all we are a family forum.* :D

As for the "everyone has to get an award, or they will be envious": People can actually receive several awards. I know another german who got at least 4 awards (two of them for her character, which has a different name though, so you probably didn't notice it.) I think we are mature enough to not throw a tantrum when we don't win something. In my school we get awards at the end of the school year for the different subjects. For every class level there's one set of awards distributed. So class level 9, which is separated into three parallel classes, usually have the same amount of awards as grade 12 (us. We are one class. And a pretty small one too.). Grade 13 doesn't even get separate awards (or no awards at all, I think), because there are not enough students - This year grade 13 has exactly one (1) student (Because grade 13 is optional. If you do the AP, you don't need it. If you do the A Levels, you have to, because it is a two year course).

Often it's the same people that get several awards. Those that participate in school and activities well, and does well in school are more likely to get an award, of course. People know that, and they don't complain. It's just a fun way to end the school year, and talk to the students again a last time, before the summer holidays.

While I'm at it, I nominate Ninth for the "Most Desperate For An Award" Award! :D

- :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

*before you ask, the forum is also a family one, and the roleplay chat too.

RLacey 11-23-2005 12:26 PM

Vote RLacey for the "Greatest Guy EVER!" award :shifty:.

Or else.