You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Feedback Hype-o-Meter Update 11/02

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2005, 11:13 AM   #1
Hopeful skeptic

Default Hype-o-Meter Update 11/02

Short version...

Phoenix Wright, And Then There Were None: out
Scratches, Secret Files: Tunguska: in... Ankh: up

-----------

Long version (aka: ridiculous Jack version, still hoping they'll one day pay me by the word)...

Actually, even I can't make this update all that long, as some things just make sense to everyone. And we all know that the Hype-o-Meter always results in unanimous agreement, right?

Maybe not. Well, anyway, with the North American release of Phoenix Wright for DS and the Agatha Christie whodunnitnotoncebuttentimes, And Then There Were None, there are two new spots open on the H-o-M. So what would it be this time... should we go ahead and establish the placeholder for the beloved dog and rabbit-thingie on the list? Clear a path for the cows to come home? (Note to non-comic fans: I'm talkin' about Bone, people.) Create an anti-violence memento for Overclocked? (Note to no one in particular: I really outdid myself on that one - it's all downhill from here.) Sure, we could do all that, but instead we opted to shine the spotlight on two other little gems.

At #8, Scratches is making a well-deserved return to the H-o-M after disappearing for a few months. The radar went eerily quiet on this game - an atmosphere you'd best get used to where this game is concerned. A first-person horror adventure set on a haunted estate with a lurking, deadly menace, this pants-soiling creepfest is the product of a two-man team from Argentina, and they've been busy crunching to get the job done. With the game near completion, and various publishing deals around the world either signed or in negotiation, Nucleosys still had time to release a recent demo that should leave any horror fan pining for the release of the real deal.

Sliding in at #10, Secret Files: Tunguska captured everyone's attention when it arrived with pizzazz at the Games Convention a few months ago. A traditional third-person, P&C adventure, Tunguska is a fictional tale based around the mysterious (but real) 1908 explosion in central Siberia that devastated thousands of square miles of forest. But let's not kid ourselves: while the story sounds intriguing, it's the gorgeous visuals that smacked us in the face and reminded us that a picture is worth a thousand jaw drops. Scheduled for a spring release in '06, it's still a ways off, but it already has a worldwide publisher and the developers have confirmed an English version is planned, so we can wait. Impatiently, but we'll wait.

The only other activity sees the comic 3D adventure Ankh leap a whopping four slots. With news of the game going gold in Germany, and localized versions just around the corner, interest in this game is about to explode faster than a camel can spit, and I just wanted to save myself the trouble of updating again soon. Wait, no!! I mean, this game looks better and better the more we see of it, and AG readers can look forward to more in-depth coverage of the game before too long (note: this is an unspecified timeframe, and your definition of "too long" may be different than mine).

So that's it for now. If the game you wanted didn't make it, not to worry. We'll be going through this all over again in a couple weeks when 80 Days begins its adventure in earnest, so we'll meet back here then, and everyone can weep at the unfairness of it all. Until then... go play some games!

(Also note: apparently I COULD make this insanely long... who knew? )
Old 11-02-2005, 11:18 AM   #2
fov
Rattenmonster

A pleasure to read, as always.

Apparently I don't have any wounds to lick this time around. Amazing! Guess I'll have to go play some games get some work done instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackal
(aka: ridiculous Jack version, still hoping they'll one day pay me by the word)
I dare you to do your next HoM update Dickens-style. (That would be Charles, not Evan. )
Old 11-02-2005, 11:19 AM   #3
Hopeful skeptic

You mean, no complaints that Al Emmo isn't here?

You're just saving up for the next one, I can tell.
Old 11-02-2005, 11:20 AM   #4
Dungeon Master

Just as I was posting in H-o-M input thread!
Jackal

Anyway, both newcomers make sense to me. Especially Scratches, demo of which pleasantly surprised me.
Old 11-02-2005, 11:20 AM   #5
fov
Rattenmonster

Quote:
You mean, no complaints that Al Emmo isn't here?
Eh. EH! I momentarily forgot about Al Emmo.

Off to lick wounds.
Old 11-02-2005, 11:30 AM   #6
Hopeful skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFGNCAAP
Just as I was posting in H-o-M input thread!
Jackal
Hey, there's still a third spot up for grabs soon! Although I must say, panning me has not increased the chances of your choices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov
I dare you to do your next HoM update Dickens-style.
Actually, in honour of a friend with a twisted sense of humour, I was thinking of doing the next one in lipogram. Taking letter omission requests now.

To all you sadistic readers, please note:

Spoiler:
I'm lying.
Old 11-02-2005, 11:43 AM   #7
Super Moderator

Quote:
Actually, in honour of a friend with a twisted sense of humour, I was thinking of doing the next one in lipogram. Taking letter omission requests now.

To all you sadistic readers, please note:

Spoiler:
I'm lying.
No complaints about the H-o-M (I'm low maintenance )

Re: the lipogram

Knwing full well yu wn't be ding it, have yu ever read Ella Minnw Pea? Fascinating bk.
Old 11-02-2005, 03:20 PM   #8

Quote:
Knwing full well yu wn't be ding it, have yu ever read Ella Minnw Pea? Fascinating bk.
Hey, but turning this question into a real lipogram (with the letter "o" avoided) should actually result in something like this:

"I am fully aware that individual Jackal (-directly adressed in this and the next sentence-) will act antithetically. Has he ever read the writings regarding the island where letters start disappearing? Great read."

Last edited by Martin Gantefoehr; 11-02-2005 at 03:30 PM.
Old 11-02-2005, 03:43 PM   #9
The Thread™ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Gantefoehr
"I am fully aware that individual Jackal (-directly adressed in this and the next sentence-) will act antithetically. Has he ever read the writings regarding the island where letters start disappearing? Great read."

I so dare you to make a lipogram-based video game .

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 11-02-2005, 05:05 PM   #10
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Gantefoehr
Hey, but turning this question into a real lipogram (with the letter "o" avoided) should actually result in something like this:

(I need to do my research better and actually read the entire Wikipedia page. )

Edit: Such beautiful sentences deserve better acclaim but reduced serum glycemic levels necessitated refueling first.

Last edited by Melanie68; 11-02-2005 at 07:56 PM.
Old 11-03-2005, 09:40 AM   #11

Grrrrr those stupid people from TAC doesn't release anythung about Aura's sequel The Sacred Rings.I am sure when an info is release the game would be in the Hype - o - Meter right
Stalin
Old 11-03-2005, 05:14 PM   #12
Hopeful skeptic

Well, if there's ever enough info released to generate hype, it just might be. Until then... nope.
Old 11-04-2005, 04:49 AM   #13

Quote:
Well, if there's ever enough info released to generate hype, it just might be. Until then... nope.
The simple fact that it's a good game's sequel could be considered as enough info to generate hype. It is for me, anyway.