Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   Feedback (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/feedback/)
-   -   Galleries (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/feedback/11506-galleries.html)

Ninth 10-27-2005 02:31 AM

Galleries

I was looking for screenshots for "Evenings On A Farm Near Dikanka", but couldn't find where they are on the site.
What about a link on the main page to a "Galleries" page? Or is there already something that I'm missing?

Dale Baldwin 10-27-2005 02:59 AM

Stick 'Dikanka' into the search box at the top of the site and the results will contain a link to the database entry for the game, and ultimately a link to the screenshots for it.

(Or if you're lazy, they're here)

Ninth 10-27-2005 03:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dale Baldwin
Stick 'Dikanka' into the search box at the top of the site and the results will contain a link to the database entry for the game, and ultimately a link to the screenshots for it.

(Or if you're lazy, they're here)

Thanks!
I still think a galleries page would be nice, though. ;)

fov 10-27-2005 06:10 AM

There is something in the works that will make finding screenshots for a specific game much easier. :D

But while we're on the subject of galleries - did everyone notice the new look? Used to be the gallery was on a separate page from the big version of the screenshot. Now the screenshot displays at the top of the same page as the rest of the gallery. Screenshots that are added to the site since that change went into effect are also bigger than before.

Ninth 10-27-2005 06:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fov
There is something in the works that will make finding screenshots for a specific game much easier. :D

But while we're on the subject of galleries - did everyone notice the new look? Used to be the gallery was on a separate page from the big version of the screenshot. Now the screenshot displays at the top of the same page as the rest of the gallery. Screenshots that are added to the site since that change went into effect are also bigger than before.

Cool.

And the new gallery look is much better. :)

squarejawhero 10-28-2005 01:33 AM

It would be nice to have a popup though, like Gamespot. I like to flick between the reviews on sites and the screenies. Just a suggestion.

Junkface 10-30-2005 04:46 PM

Why not just open the screens in a new window yourself? (Not trying to sound combative, just genuinely can't see how a Gamespot style pop is an advantage.) I like to open the screens in tabs, and a Gamespot style pop-up prevents that (as well as causing the unfortunate occurrence of me opening every screen, then closing the gallery and going to look at them, only to find I have 20 tabs of "javascript;" and nothing else.)

tabacco 10-30-2005 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Junkface
Why not just open the screens in a new window yourself? (Not trying to sound combative, just genuinely can't see how a Gamespot style pop is an advantage.) I like to open the screens in tabs, and a Gamespot style pop-up prevents that (as well as causing the unfortunate occurrence of me opening every screen, then closing the gallery and going to look at them, only to find I have 20 tabs of "javascript;" and nothing else.)

I'm inclined to agree. I generally resist having the site throw a new window unless it's a link to an offsite URL, in which case it's generally via the link's target, rather than through javascript.

fov 10-30-2005 04:56 PM

A nice thing about the new gallery feature is that there is a link at the top of the page that takes you back to wherever you came from. If you were reading a review, the link takes you right back to the review. So, in theory, it allows you to get back to the originating article with not too much hassle.

squarejawhero 10-31-2005 01:25 AM

Agree to disagree.

Erkki 11-07-2005 09:51 AM

I was just browsing the Dreamfall gallery and the load times were horrible (for some reason most of the thumbnails were not cached). I found it annoying enought that I wrote a GreaseMonkey script that removed the thumbnails view from the page, only displaying the big image and navigation links.

Is it okay if I post a link to the script here?

fov 11-07-2005 09:58 AM

I had trouble loading a gallery about an hour ago. Just now I tried the Dreamfall one and it loaded fine. I think there might have been a momentary database problem (forum pages and my AG webmail were having trouble, too).

Erkki 11-07-2005 10:18 AM

What I meant was that when you turn the pages and don't really want to see the thumbnails, only the large image, the thumbnails are still loaded at the bottom of the page, generating lots of unnecessary traffic -- there seem to be too many of them for my browser to cache them all.

GreaseMonkey (Firefox plugin for running custom javascript on websites in case you don't know) users could enable/disable the script depending on how they want to browse -- if enabled it will remove the thumbnail table before the page is loaded.

fov 11-07-2005 10:22 AM

Oh, I see. Sure, post the script. :)

Erkki 11-07-2005 10:27 AM

I just tried it out some more and it doesn't work perfectly (sometimes the thumbnail images will still load in the background), but here it is:

http://lap.ee/erkki/userscripts/aggallerylite.user.js
(with GreaseMonkey installed, right click the link and select install user script)

I may improve the script later and add a button to the page for showing the thumbnails if they have been removed.

tabacco 11-07-2005 10:50 AM

Hmm... I've had no real load problems on that page. Is it a bandwidth issue on your end, or did it behave like a database issue or something?

Ninth 11-07-2005 04:21 PM

At one point, I couldn't access a few threads. It said something like "An error has been encountered. A mail has been dispatch blahblahblah."

tabacco 11-07-2005 05:36 PM

Yeah, I got some errors about mysql hitting the connection limit this morning. That must be what you hit. I did a little performance tweaking to my.cnf, so we'll see if it makes a difference.

Melanie68 11-07-2005 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tabacco
Yeah, I got some errors about mysql hitting the connection limit this morning. That must be what you hit. I did a little performance tweaking to my.cnf, so we'll see if it makes a difference.

This is a self indulgent question (for my own edification): Does that mean AG was really popular this morning (as in lots of guests and members) or was it due to lots of Google/Yahoo stuff?

:)

tabacco 11-07-2005 08:55 PM

Probably the latter.