This forum is falling into a “town cop” syndrome.... - Page 5 - Adventure Forums
You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Feedback This forum is falling into a “town cop” syndrome....


 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-30-2005, 09:24 AM   #81
The Dartmaster
 
Jake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: San Rafael, California
Posts: 3,084
Send a message via ICQ to Jake Send a message via MSN to Jake Send a message via Yahoo to Jake
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackal
I think what we're discussing here is not justifying ourselves before a court of public opinion, where such discussions some times (ahem) get dragged out, debated and argued indefinitely - not because the ongoing argument is useful, but simply because people CAN. It's an unfortunate reality, but it's the real reality.
Heh! Sorry, I really like that this thread has in fact now included both sides of the "town cop" coin. Mods mod excessively because they can, readers drag discussions off into argumentative oblivion ad nauseum because they can.

Fortunately, to me, neither of those claims sound like the AG forum. They sound 100% like the reader/mod dynamics of the worst web forums I've visited, but it really doesn't accurately describe AG's community to me at all. Sure, it happens every now and then (the occasional occurrance is pretty inevitable, we are all human beings after all), but it's not the prevailing attitude or MO of the readers of the mods around here, I don't think.
Jake is offline  
Old 10-30-2005, 09:30 AM   #82
Elegantly copy+pasted
 
After a brisk nap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,773
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabacco
No offense, but if you can't be bothered to follow a thread you shouldn't really be complaining if it's closed.
I didn't mean that people would necessarily complain. I meant that they would experience the moderator action as mysterious and possibly arbitrary. This impression would then form background to how they'd interpret future actions.

My point was simply that if you're thinking "whenever we do something, it's obvious why we do it," you may be deluding yourself. I think it's often far less clear to others than it is to you.

So I encourage you: Don't assume we'll understand something you're not saying explicitly. Don't assume we'll understand something you said three weeks ago. Don't assume we'll understand something you explained in another thread. If you expect us to understand, you pretty much have to tell us right now, right here.

That's just a piece of advice. Take it or leave it.

My impression is that we're all in pretty good understanding now. I personally wouldn't mind if the discussion ended here (though that doesn't mean I think the thread should be closed).
__________________
Please excuse me. I've got to see a man about a dog.
After a brisk nap is offline  
Old 10-30-2005, 09:38 AM   #83
The Dartmaster
 
Jake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: San Rafael, California
Posts: 3,084
Send a message via ICQ to Jake Send a message via MSN to Jake Send a message via Yahoo to Jake
Default

To add a little to what I said earlier (now that I've read the entire thread) I think it's good that Fum started this thread, if only because he was clearly concerned for the community.

I don't personally think bringing it up was necessary - the only incidents that have been brought up as excessive modding were to me exceptions to the otherwise very-adhered-to rule more than they are indicitive of a growing trend or something - but whatever.

The thread exists only because he cared enough about the community to write it.

-----

Frankly what bothers me in this thread far more than the claims of excessive modding is the fact that this thread was deliberately hijacked and turned into a half-page discussion about cheese, and then later again deliberately turned into a multi-post discussion about chocolate. Seriously, we have a chit chat forum.
Jake is offline  
Old 10-30-2005, 09:48 AM   #84
fov
Rattenmonster
 
fov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 10,404
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snarky
It may seem obvious to a mod why a thread is being closed, but someone who maybe hasn't followed it that closely may not realize that a 20-page thread is being closed because of an argument that happened on pages 3-5.
That's pretty unlikely to happen around here. If an argument ended on page 5 and the thread had 15 pages of happy shiny posting afterward, there's really no reason to close it.

EDIT: Oops, I didn't see page 5 of this thread.
fov is offline  
Old 10-30-2005, 10:51 AM   #85
merely human
 
Intrepid Homoludens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Chicago
Posts: 22,309
Default

Mods can't - and shouldn't have to - necessarily guess how future interlocutors may feel about a closed thread when they happen to come across it. I don't subscribe to this 'walking on eggshells' m.o. just to save some face for the community down the road. And still, on the other side of the fence as a forum member, why should I freak out just because I wasn't there at the moment some thread got closed and automatically assume the mods intervened just 'cause they felt like it or were bored and wanted to abuse their powers?

I would just think that at the time a thread was closed it must have been for a good reason as deemed by the acting mod at the time. Whether or not that reason was justifiable wouldn't be my concern as a forum member now. After all, I just got here, didn't I?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake
The thread exists only because he cared enough about the community to write it.
To be blunt, then, I don't think he expressed his care that well...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fum
This forum is falling into a “town cop” syndrome....
Wouldn't it have made more sense to have instead stated:

Quote:
Is this forum falling into a "town cop" syndrome?
__________________
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Intrepid Homoludens is offline  
Old 10-30-2005, 11:16 AM   #86
SamNMax
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Well, however he wants to word it, no. This forum is not falling into a "town cop" syndrome...
 
Old 10-30-2005, 11:44 AM   #87
merely human
 
Intrepid Homoludens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Chicago
Posts: 22,309
Default

That's exactly how I feel as well, Maxsie. And how some others here feel.
__________________
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Intrepid Homoludens is offline  
Old 10-30-2005, 11:55 AM   #88
Epinionated.
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: London
Posts: 5,841
Default

Bicerin for all!

__________________
Starter of Thread Must Die.
squarejawhero is offline  
Old 10-30-2005, 11:58 AM   #89
Magic Wand Waver
 
Fairygdmther's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Sarasota, Florida
Posts: 3,142
Send a message via MSN to Fairygdmther
Default

Having grown up in a smallish town, there's another side to the town cop - and that's a good side. Knowing all the kids who live there, he tends to keep an eye on them and helps keep many of them from getting in trouble. He may seem harsh on some more than others, but knowing them by their past behavior, he'll know better who to advise and who to threaten. While this may seem arbitrary to the casual observer, I feel it is a more appropriate way to handle the kids and more appropriate to make that comparison here.

Lynsie
__________________
Nothing can bring you peace but yourself.
Ralph Waldo Emerson
Fairygdmther is offline  
Old 10-30-2005, 11:59 AM   #90
SamNMax
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

I understand that some might disagree with the mods' methods. Sometimes, I find myself doing so. But I realize that they have a job to do and they want to make the forums as friendly and constructive as possible. And if they close a thread or two to uphold that image, that's fine with me. I'm all for it.
 
Old 10-30-2005, 12:11 PM   #91
Fum
Indegan Peningald
 
Fum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 140
Default

Trep, have you read past the first page, man? I agree I didn't make it as clear as I should have in the first post, but I think I was pretty explicitly clear in the next half-dozen posts that this forum isn't under this fake syndrome, and probably isn't falling under it, but I care about this place enough to try and keep things cool here.

You of most of all people here (you've always seemed to be one of the most level-headed persons here) should be able to look past admittedly ill-conceived titles to the content inside.

And thank you very much, Jake, for the support. I agree and have stated that the "syndrome" doesn't describe this place, and I just want it to stay that way. Plus, as I already said I have already said in the first post, the post probably wasn't necessary to begin with, I think everyone here is intelligent enough to make sure on their own that things won’t go sour here like many other forums I know of, but nor do I think me starting this thread will have any negative repercussions either, and at least one person will feel better for having spoken his mind.

I feel like a broken record, guys. Maybe I should just copy and paste all of my posts in this thread into the original post, to save my fingers some time in the future.
__________________
Bill Clinton for God, 2008!
Fum is offline  
Old 10-30-2005, 12:14 PM   #92
Epinionated.
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: London
Posts: 5,841
Default

Zabaglione for all!

__________________
Starter of Thread Must Die.
squarejawhero is offline  
Old 10-30-2005, 12:24 PM   #93
merely human
 
Intrepid Homoludens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Chicago
Posts: 22,309
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fum
Trep, have you read past the first page, man? I agree I didn't make it as clear as I should have in the first post, but I think I was pretty explicitly clear in the next half-dozen posts that this forum isn't under this fake syndrome, and probably isn't falling under it, but I care about this place enough to try and keep things cool here.

You of most of all people here (you've always seemed to be one of the most level-headed persons here) should be able to look past admittedly ill-conceived titles to the content inside.
Not only have I read it, I've read it several times to make sure I got it. And I still think you weren't exactly clear in your point. Whatever inflammatory and slightly elitist behaviour you may have interpreted is simply that - an interpretation. You also stated that most of all you posted it because you were just bored at the time.

That said, I do understand and appreciate your concern for this community.

But as I also had stated, one or two incidents do not necessarily tell the overall story. I've been a member here for five years now, and a mod for two years (more or less), and not once have I noticed any instances of 'town cop-ism'. Like I said, threads have been closed for whatever reasons that made sense and were justifiable at the time a mod/admin made them. But as Fairgdmther wisely put it, the mods/admin are here a lot so they know the members well and because of that they know...

Quote:
...them by their past behavior, [they] know better who to advise and who to threaten. While this may seem arbitrary to the casual observer, I feel it is a more appropriate way to handle the kids and more appropriate to make that comparison here.
__________________
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Intrepid Homoludens is offline  
Old 10-30-2005, 12:32 PM   #94
Feind der Anonymitaet!
 
pinkgothic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Germany
Posts: 1,898
Send a message via ICQ to pinkgothic Send a message via AIM to pinkgothic Send a message via Yahoo to pinkgothic
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
And I still think you weren't exactly clear in your point.
I just wanted to add to this quick: I didn't really read out the "this forum isn't that in my impression" anywhere, either... so, Fum, if that was your intention, then I'm sorry for misinterpreting your posts, but it really wasn't clear to me that that is your statement until you just explicitely said it to Trep... but then, maybe, the title of the thread has biased me reading the posts?
__________________
"Me pee stick bigger you pee stick." (credit to, but not attributed to, Jeysie)
"Don't be careful, be immortal."
Brat™, certified as by Trep
Winner of the Second-Best-Dressed and Non-Specific awards in the Unbiased Impostor Awards™, amongst many others.

Non-Conformist to Non-Conformism™
Internet Explodifier™ - the best weapon of mass destruction!!!11one
Trademark Overuser™
pinkgothic is offline  
Old 10-30-2005, 12:49 PM   #95
Fum
Indegan Peningald
 
Fum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 140
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkgothic
I just wanted to add to this quick: I didn't really read out the "this forum isn't that in my impression" anywhere, either... so, Fum, if that was your intention, then I'm sorry for misinterpreting your posts, but it really wasn't clear to me that that is your statement until you just explicitely said it to Trep... but then, maybe, the title of the thread has biased me reading the posts?
"...the main point I want to clear up is that the problems I cited are pertinent to this forum least of all those I visit."

"It's not an epidemic, I know, in fact in my first paragraph I acknowledged that the post really wasn't necessary..."

"And Legolas, if you had read all the posts, you'd see that I also have agreed a few times that this forum isn't under my purely imaginational 'syndrome.'"

-All me. A couple examples I found from merely skimming over my posts, only the last one of them being "explicit" I guess.
__________________
Bill Clinton for God, 2008!
Fum is offline  
Old 10-30-2005, 01:25 PM   #96
Feind der Anonymitaet!
 
pinkgothic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Germany
Posts: 1,898
Send a message via ICQ to pinkgothic Send a message via AIM to pinkgothic Send a message via Yahoo to pinkgothic
Default

... um, Fum, the apology wasn't sarcasm. I didn't extra go back to read your posts extra to make the last statement- in fact, I was specifically avoiding doing that so I could simply make the statement that following this thread didn't give me the impression and that it might have been the thread title biasing me in reading posts - and I mentioned it so you might know it for future reference, and possibly be clearer from square one.

So, um... quoting yourself really doesn't change what I said...

I hope I'm clearer now?
__________________
"Me pee stick bigger you pee stick." (credit to, but not attributed to, Jeysie)
"Don't be careful, be immortal."
Brat™, certified as by Trep
Winner of the Second-Best-Dressed and Non-Specific awards in the Unbiased Impostor Awards™, amongst many others.

Non-Conformist to Non-Conformism™
Internet Explodifier™ - the best weapon of mass destruction!!!11one
Trademark Overuser™
pinkgothic is offline  
Old 10-30-2005, 02:09 PM   #97
merely human
 
Intrepid Homoludens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Chicago
Posts: 22,309
Default

ROFL!! Okay, that's enough misIntrepiding! I think the man made his point.
__________________
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Intrepid Homoludens is offline  
Old 10-30-2005, 02:20 PM   #98
SamNMax
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Trep, when is your vacation over?
 
Old 10-30-2005, 03:55 PM   #99
Fum
Indegan Peningald
 
Fum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 140
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkgothic
... um, Fum, the apology wasn't sarcasm. I didn't extra go back to read your posts extra to make the last statement- in fact, I was specifically avoiding doing that so I could simply make the statement that following this thread didn't give me the impression and that it might have been the thread title biasing me in reading posts - and I mentioned it so you might know it for future reference, and possibly be clearer from square one.

So, um... quoting yourself really doesn't change what I said...

I hope I'm clearer now?
Oh... Um... Well, now we're even, then. We've both misunderstood each other.
__________________
Bill Clinton for God, 2008!
Fum is offline  
Old 10-30-2005, 11:53 PM   #100
El Luchador
 
bigjko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Denmark
Posts: 1,629
Send a message via ICQ to bigjko Send a message via MSN to bigjko
Default

Am I alone in thinking the forum's actually all too mellow, these days?

I mean, gone are the days of newbie bashing, real thread hi-jacking and some serious wacky shit. Or maybe I'm just getting.. gasp.. old?
__________________
Use Verb On Noun - Adventure game inspired illustrations
bigjko is offline  
 



Thread Tools

 


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.