You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Feedback Fables & Fiends is not Kyrandia 1's sub-title

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-15-2005, 01:05 PM   #1

Default Fables & Fiends is not Kyrandia 1's sub-title

For some reason, the reviews of both Kyrandia 1 and Kyrandia 2 say that Kyrandia 1's sub-title is Fables & Fiends, but that is wrong. Fables & Fiends is actually a "super-title", if anything, of the trilogy, so the official full names of the games are:
Fables & Fiends - The Legend of Kyrandia Book I
Fables & Fiends - The Legend of Kyrandia Book II: The Hand of Fate
Fables & Fiends - The Legend of Kyrandia Book III: Malcolm's Revenge

I never really understood why this "super-title" is necessary, I always presumed it's the name of the universe or something in which the Kyrandia stories take place. However, no other story in this "universe" was ever released, neither in games nor in books or movies, so I'm not so sure about my theory.
The truth is, that Fables & Fiends remained throughout the entire trilogy probably because of a marketing decision. It appears that the first game's main title was Fables & Fiends, and the sub-title was The Legend of Kyrandia (i.e. Fables & Fiends Book I: The Legend of Kyrandia), and that's why the original release of the second game was named Fables & Fiends Book II: The Hand of Fate, and there was no mentioning of "The Legend of Kyrandia" until later releases of the second game. Westwood added "The Legend of Kyrandia" to future releases of The Hand of Fate, probably because they wanted it to be recognized as a sequel to the first game, which everyone simply refered to as Kyrandia 1, and very few people knew that the series official name was Fables & Fiends. Thus, a dual-named series was born.

This "super-title" is rarely used, and rightly so, but if it is used, it should be used correctly, and not as the sub-title of the first game. I saw it happen on other reviews, not just here.

Last edited by Aurebesh; 10-15-2005 at 01:10 PM.
Old 10-15-2005, 01:42 PM   #2
Hopeful skeptic

Yes, we could have left F&F off the first game entirely, but left it in as a practical matter (dabatase searches, etc.) Frankly, a title that buggered up isn't worth being pedantic about.
Old 10-15-2005, 01:44 PM   #3
gin soaked boy

Thanks, that was very informative.
Old 10-15-2005, 02:10 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackal
Yes, we could have left F&F off the first game entirely, but left it in as a practical matter (dabatase searches, etc.) Frankly, a title that buggered up isn't worth being pedantic about.
Pedantic or not, the title under which you've listed the first Kyrandia game is plain wrong. But as you can see, the bulk of my thread was explaining this Fables & Fiends thing, which is a nice piece of trivia, and not complaining about the reviewer's error or asking that you would fix it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by insane_cobra
Thanks, that was very informative.
You're welcome
Old 10-17-2005, 05:24 AM   #5

I love this game.
Seeing the review come up on the main page made my day.

It's got some small flaws, sure, but I'd say it's one of the more charming AG I've played, along with Simon the Sorcerer.
Old 10-17-2005, 05:53 AM   #6
Hopeful skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurebesh
Pedantic or not, the title under which you've listed the first Kyrandia game is plain wrong.
Yeah, I caught that the first time. And I explained that it's for database reasons. I want Fables & Fiends being found in searches, but no one will LOOK for there if I list under that title. If our reviews weren't linked to a database, I might have chosen differently. As it is, sometimes you make do.

Quote:
But as you can see, the bulk of my thread was explaining this Fables & Fiends thing, which is a nice piece of trivia, and not complaining about the reviewer's error or asking that you would fix it.
I don't recall commenting on what the bulk of your thread was about. I think anyone who can read can see what it's about.
Old 10-23-2005, 11:51 AM   #7

Quote:
I don't recall commenting on what the bulk of your thread was about. I think anyone who can read can see what it's about.
Well, you moved my thread to the feedback forum, so it seems you think my point was to criticize
Old 10-23-2005, 01:06 PM   #8
Super Moderator

Well the start of your original post does cite the AG reviews as wrong, which is therefore feedback about the site, Aurebesh, even if you didn't intend your post to be specifically about them.
Old 10-23-2005, 01:25 PM   #9

Shouldn't it at least be called "Fables & Fiends: The Legend of Kyrandia", instead of TLoK: F&F, which doesn't sound right at all? It's kind of like saying Arena: The Elder Scrolls.
Old 10-23-2005, 02:48 PM   #10
Hopeful skeptic

Yes, it probably "should". So how many people do you think would look for our Legend of Kyrandia review under "F"?

As I said, this isn't about the letter of the law, so to speak. It's not about right and wrong, it's about functionality. You'd look for an Arena review under Elder Scrolls, yes? But how about Morrowind? That tends to leave off the Elder Scrolls "super-title", though technically "Morrowind" isn't its name. So in that case, I'd have no qualms about listing it as Morrowind: The Elder Scrolls Part III. (I'm not saying I would, just that I'd have no problem with it, for practical reasons).

Once again, if I were going to make a change at all, I'd drop the F&F moniker from the first review altogether. I kept it so that it would appear in searches, that's all.
Old 10-23-2005, 03:01 PM   #11

Kyrandia 1 and 2 isn't called "The Legend of Kyrandia" either though, so the correct titles in any case would be;

Fables & Fiends: The Legend of Kyrandia
Fables & Fiends: Hand of Fate - Kyrandia II
Fables & Fiends: Malcolm's Revenge - Kyrandia III

or something like that. Not entirely positive but I'm pretty sure the sequels aren't called "The Legend of Kyrandia".

Yeah, I am a desperate poster tonight, I have nothing to do but to write unnecessary replies in trivial topics.
Old 10-23-2005, 03:05 PM   #12
Hopeful skeptic

Um, yeah. I know that. And if I didn't, the first post says that. The same reasoning applies to all of them. For whatever reason, people know them as the Legend of Kyrandia games, not Fables & Fiends games.

Feel free to bicker amongst yourselves. I'm just repeating myself now.
Old 10-23-2005, 03:34 PM   #13

As I said, I'm just hungry for something to write. So you just ignore my post and carry on with whatever you doing.
Old 10-23-2005, 05:38 PM   #14

Quote:
Yes, it probably "should". So how many people do you think would look for our Legend of Kyrandia review under "F"?
I actually agree with you on that. Even I would search it under F only after first checking L or K (note that some might not even search it under L, only under K)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonBlue
Kyrandia 1 and 2 isn't called "The Legend of Kyrandia" either though, so the correct titles in any case would be;

Fables & Fiends: The Legend of Kyrandia
Fables & Fiends: Hand of Fate - Kyrandia II
Fables & Fiends: Malcolm's Revenge - Kyrandia III

or something like that. Not entirely positive but I'm pretty sure the sequels aren't called "The Legend of Kyrandia".
No, Kyrandia 3 did have "Legend of Kyrandia" in its title (I have the box right here, and you can see a good shot of it in mobygames). As for Kyrandia 2, there's no "Legend of Kyrandia" in the game itself or on the original boxes, but later releases did have "Legend of Kyrandia" on the boxes. It's already written in my first post.
Old 10-23-2005, 08:01 PM   #15

Actually, Fables and Fiends was originally intended as a blanket title for a larger lineup of games. Around 1992, Westwood anounced a Super Nintendo action-RPG entitled simply Fables and Fiends. It made it pretty far along in development, as previews and screens appeared in various magazines, but it was never released.

I am not sure, but I think the game may have actually been changed into Westwood's Young Merlin, which came out a year or two later. The two look very similar, except the graphics in Merlin are a bit better.
Old 10-24-2005, 07:47 AM   #16

Quote:
Once again, if I were going to make a change at all, I'd drop the F&F moniker from the first review altogether.
Yes, that's probably the best solution.
Old 10-24-2005, 09:09 AM   #17
fov
Rattenmonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurebesh
Well, you moved my thread to the feedback forum, so it seems you think my point was to criticize
All posts about the site and site content belong in Site Feedback. Moving it here has nothing to do with your intent -- only with your subject.
Old 10-24-2005, 10:34 AM   #18
Fum
Indegan Peningald

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov
All posts about the site and site content belong in Site Feedback. Moving it here has nothing to do with your intent -- only with your subject.
Not to put words in anyones mouth, but I think Aurebesh was saying that his post was more meant as general Adventure Game trivia, and not supposed to be site feedback.
Old 10-24-2005, 11:16 AM   #19
Hopeful skeptic

I'm about to move this to the "Splitting Hairs" forum. The thread was moved here because it contained site feedback.
Old 10-24-2005, 11:18 AM   #20
Super Moderator

After reading this thread I keep singing:

You say to-may-to, I say to-mah-to
You say po-tay-to, I say po-tah-to

I just want to find the darn game on eBay or something so I can play it now. It looks cool.