You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Feedback How do the forums determine what you've read?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2005, 08:53 AM   #1
Freeware Co-ordinator

Default How do the forums determine what you've read?

Because I don't get on here as much as I'd like to I rely on "View First Unread" to catch up on threads that interest me.

It seems to behave a bit oddly though. Sometimes this will skip a whole bunch of posts I know I haven't read. Also, sometimes threads show as having new posts when I'm the last poster (or are the forums trying to tell me I'm not reading through my own stuff properly before posting it? )

I know I can subscribe to threads to get new posts by e-mail but that would only work from my home PC. (Since I have been known to access the forums from work. Only at lunchtime of course. )

Anyone able to clue me in?
No Nonsense Nonsonnets #43

Cold Topic

A thread most controversial, that’s what I want to start
Full of impassioned arguments, of posting from the heart
And for this stimulation all will be thankful to me
On come on everybody it won’t work if you agree
Old 10-11-2005, 08:58 AM   #2
fov
Rattenmonster

No idea. Assume it has something to do with cookies, but I went on vacation on the first... just got back... and nothing earlier than 10/5 is highlighted, even though I obviously haven't read it.

EDIT: And on some forums the unread posts are even more recent (10/9 on the hints forum). Maybe it has something to do with how many posts are on a page?
Old 10-12-2005, 08:53 PM   #3

It seems that threads never lose their "new posts" icon until I've viewn it. I don't know if that's how it's meant to be, but I know most forums have it so that the "new posts" only appears if something has changed from your last visit.
Old 10-12-2005, 10:11 PM   #4
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepurhan
Anyone able to clue me in?
Well, you can always set your homepage to http://forums.adventuregamers.com. Of course, we cannot take responsibility should you truly become addicted here and need a fix every single day like the lot of us.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 10-14-2005, 04:40 AM   #5
Freeware Co-ordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
Well, you can always set your homepage to http://forums.adventuregamers.com. Of course, we cannot take responsibility should you truly become addicted here and need a fix every single day like the lot of us.
Must......Have.......AG.......forums.......NOW!!!! !!

Cold Topic

Old 10-14-2005, 07:00 AM   #6
Friendly Server Admin

With the vB 3.5 update, read post marking has changed.

Old way:
Forum sets a cookie when you visit. Threads posted to after the timestamp of yoru last visit are marked unread, and threads are then updated and marked read when you read them, or after your session times out.

New way: instead of using cookies, thread status is tracked in the database. The only real difference is that now threads don't get marked read after your session times out. If you come back the next day, unread threads will still be unread, even if there was no activity since your last visit. After 10 days, threads are marked read no matter what.

In either case, you can still mark all forums read manually from the Quick Links menu at the top of the page.
Old 10-14-2005, 02:31 PM   #7
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabacco
With the vB 3.5 update, read post marking has changed.

Old way:
Forum sets a cookie when you visit. Threads posted to after the timestamp of yoru last visit are marked unread, and threads are then updated and marked read when you read them, or after your session times out.

New way: instead of using cookies, thread status is tracked in the database. The only real difference is that now threads don't get marked read after your session times out. If you come back the next day, unread threads will still be unread, even if there was no activity since your last visit. After 10 days, threads are marked read no matter what.

In either case, you can still mark all forums read manually from the Quick Links menu at the top of the page.
I much prefer this new method. I used to hate it when I began reading the forums, was called away for thirty minutes and then had no idea what posts I had or hadn't read without looking at datestamps ...

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 10-14-2005, 10:35 PM   #8
Freeware Co-ordinator

Cheers for that tabacco. It all makes sense now.

Cold Topic