You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2005, 11:49 PM   #81
Epinionated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninth
I think the "life" on this forum is a close as it could be to absolute freedom without falling into absolute chaos.
There might be the occasional abrupt thread locking or the very very occasional ban (but then, of all the people I've seen being banned, at least 50% has come back and he seems to be fine here now ), which I'm uneasy with, but seriously, what's a extremely small bit of uneasiness compared to the overwheling feeling of felling free?

On a side note, this all JA_Staff2 thing is one of the reasons why I could not bring myself to post more than once or twice at JA.
What? I was JA_Staff2 foolio!

The only real complaint I had was from someone from Serbia intent on spamming the P+A forums and hating America to the point I received a ton of complaints. What problems did you have? I never closed anything that didn't got completely OTT.
Old 10-13-2005, 12:12 AM   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
What I don't understand is how some of those people who have been banned end up coming back.
Only one I know of is Once a Villain, and apart from one "small" political issue which degenerated, he didn't seem to have problems with the forums, so it's not that surprising that he came back.
Old 10-13-2005, 12:13 AM   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by squarejawhero
What? I was JA_Staff2 foolio!

The only real complaint I had was from someone from Serbia intent on spamming the P+A forums and hating America to the point I received a ton of complaints. What problems did you have? I never closed anything that didn't got completely OTT.
Cold and impersonal. I couldn't bear to be put down by such a non-person.
It's not a complaint about you, it's more about this anonymous business.
Old 10-13-2005, 12:15 AM   #84
merely human

Quote:
Only one I know of is Once a Villain, and apart from one "small" political issue which degenerated, he didn't seem to have problems with the forums, so it's not that surprising that he came back.
Well, there was another recent member who was temporarily banned. He came back, started abusing a couple of us again almost immediately, and got banned again.

Whatever reasons he and some others have, evidently something about this place draws 'em in to come back. You'd think they'd go away for good and find another community to latch on to.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 10-13-2005, 12:22 AM   #85

Quote:
Well, there was another recent member who was temporarily banned. He came back, started abusing a couple of us again almost immediately, and got banned again.
Who, who, who??? (seriously, I can only think of two people that were banned in two years, and the other one didn't try to come back, I think)

Quote:
Whatever reasons he and some others have, evidently something about this place draws 'em in to come back. You'd think they'd go away for good and find another community to latch on to.
For truly annoying people, I guess being banned is so irritating that they'll want to come back and have their "revenge".
Old 10-13-2005, 12:25 AM   #86
merely human

Quote:
Who, who, who??? (seriously, I can only think of two people that were banned in two years, and the other one didn't try to come back, I think)
No comment.

Quote:
For truly annoying people, I guess being banned is so irritating that they'll want to come back and have their "revenge".
You are talking to a victim of said "revenge", as well as private abuse.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 10-13-2005, 12:33 AM   #87
Epinionated.

Lets say it was someone with a gerbil up their ass.
Old 10-13-2005, 12:44 AM   #88
merely human

Also, as a warning to anyone who gets any idea, we do NOT take crap from anyone. If you ever get on tabs's shit list you'll not last long here.
Old 10-13-2005, 12:50 AM   #89

Wow. I just find out about this other guy. Incredible.
Old 10-13-2005, 12:57 AM   #90
merely human

I seriously think something was wrong with him psychologically, Ninth. You'd be shocked how many people out there dump their baggage online onto other people.
Old 10-13-2005, 01:01 AM   #91

Quote:
I seriously think something was wrong with him psychologically, Ninth. You'd be shocked how many people out there dump their baggage online onto other people.
Dunno.

Anyway, I don't think I want to comment on it further, because I've had my disagreement with him in the past, so I'm biased as far as he's concerned (well, I do want to comment, but I won't ).
Old 10-13-2005, 01:17 AM   #92
Senior *female* member

Quote:
More interesting is how some people who have requested to be unregistered just don't choose to log off and never return.
My guess is they told the administrator why, who did not think the matter important enough to discuss with other people. Just an educated guess... I don't know what goes on in the mind of other people, do I.

Quote:
It makes you wonder what it is about this community that they're drawn to.
Well, it IS a great community! But I can certainly understand why some people would find it strange. I remember how someone who happens to be a mod (!) at another forum came over to JA with the sole purpose of stirring up trouble and INSULTING regular posters. Incredible! This person was not "modded away" and no-one reported him to the administrator, but he couldn't stand the heat he had generated himself and left the kitchen.
Old 10-13-2005, 01:25 AM   #93
merely human

Quote:
Dunno.

Anyway, I don't think I want to comment on it further, because I've had my disagreement with him in the past, so I'm biased as far as he's concerned (well, I do want to comment, but I won't ).
Yeah, I'll not comment on it further myself. Let's carry on.
Old 10-13-2005, 01:34 AM   #94
Senior *female* member

Quote:
I seriously think something was wrong with him psychologically, Ninth.
I feel NOBODY should say things like that about someone who is no longer around to defend himself.

But hey! that's just me...
Old 10-13-2005, 02:20 AM   #95
Epinionated.

Quote:
Well, it IS a great community! But I can certainly understand why some people would find it strange. I remember how someone who happens to be a mod (!) at another forum came over to JA with the sole purpose of stirring up trouble and INSULTING regular posters. Incredible! This person was not "modded away" and no-one reported him to the administrator, but he couldn't stand the heat he had generated himself and left the kitchen.
I think in that case everything was said that needed to be said... lets not pretend anyone left that thread with sparkling white sheets. Let's call that chapter to a close, methinks. As for the-person-who-shall-remain-unnamed, Fiensie, he was banned for good reason... If there's any bad feeling still around, believe me, it's understandable... as I'm sure you yourself can testify to this! There's nothing worse than being outright insulted... I mean crazily so.

Ultimately, modding is a difficult job. I found it took up far too much of my time to be able to enjoy anything. I'm glad some people got something out of my work at JA+ and I was able to help resolve any issues anyone had, even if they were with myself.
Old 10-13-2005, 02:54 AM   #96
Senior *female* member

Quote:
Originally Posted by squarejawhero
I think in that case everything was said that needed to be said... lets not pretend anyone left that thread with sparkling white sheets. Let's call that chapter to a close, methinks.
I disagree, nobody did anything to deserve the insults they got. But I wouldn't want you or anybody else to think I was referring to you in any way. Because I wasn't.
Old 10-13-2005, 04:55 AM   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fienepien
I disagree, nobody did anything to deserve the insults they got. But I wouldn't want you or anybody else to think I was referring to you in any way. Because I wasn't.
Was there real insults beyond the usual and relatively harmless "you're a cowardly retrograde"?

From what I've read, I have to agree with SJH.
Old 10-13-2005, 05:57 AM   #98
Senior *female* member

Quote:
Was there real insults beyond the usual and relatively harmless "you're a cowardly retrograde"?
I don't remember anything like that.

Quote:
From what I've read, I have to agree with SJH.
Well, I don't know what you've read, do I. And as much as I like SJH, no-one at JA agrees with him on this particular matter.
Old 10-13-2005, 06:12 AM   #99
Hopeful skeptic

For the second time in this thread, please don't use AG to air dirty laundry from other forums. If the issue happened at JA, then continue it at JA. Either that or take up the matter privately.

Sincerely,

AG_Staff2 (crap, doesn't work with my avatar there. )
Old 10-13-2005, 06:29 AM   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackal
Sincerely,

AG_Staff2 (crap, doesn't work with my avatar there. )
Gee, Jack, you had me fooled for a second here.

EDIT: Also, and for the sake of argument, it's about members of AG going to JA to post in a thread, so it's not really airing dirty laudry from other forums, it's commenting a small happenstance that involved both AG and JA.