You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Feedback Major Hype-o-Meter Overhaul: 09/30

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2005, 02:47 PM   #21
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairygdmther
I'm sad to see Juniper Crescent off the radar, but you hadda do it. Do we know if Steve Ince is working on BS4?

Lynsie
I think Steve has already said on these very forums that he isn't working on the game.

Good update on the H-O-M, Jack. Only thing I disagree about it is BS4.

EDIT: Hey Doug, the new 3.5.0 version is looking great, new features receive my personal thumbs up. Strange thing was when I clicked "New Posts", I got like at least 15 pages of threads?
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 10-01-2005, 03:29 PM   #22
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolzig
EDIT: Hey Doug, the new 3.5.0 version is looking great, new features receive my personal thumbs up. Strange thing was when I clicked "New Posts", I got like at least 15 pages of threads?
That should only happen the once. The way that threads you've read are tracked has changed in the new version of vbulletin, so it didn't know you'd already read certain threads.
Old 10-01-2005, 03:40 PM   #23
Friendly Server Admin

Yeah, read threads are now tracked in sql instead of by cookies. To clear all those out, go to the Quick Links menu and choose "Mark all forums read"
Old 10-01-2005, 10:52 PM   #24
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

That solved the problem, thanks.
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 10-02-2005, 01:43 AM   #25
Writer-Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erwin_Br
Yes, we know he's not. Sadly for us (and maybe for him too, though I wouldn't know).

--Erwin
It's just a relief to be free of it after all these years.

No, not really. I shall miss it, but I'm happy to be working on my own ideas. Swings and roundabouts, as it were.
Old 10-02-2005, 04:15 AM   #26
Easily amused

I just got back from holidays, so there's a lot of catching up to do.
I'm sorry to say that this list is not very exciting for me. Not a single 1st person game on it. I realise that AG is biased toward 3rd person games, but I thought there would at least be a fair representation for new people coming to the forum.
Having said that, I am interested in Keepsake , Paradise and Runawy 2. I'm really looking forward to Rhem 2 (N.A. release), Barrow Hill, and Scratches.
Old 10-02-2005, 05:20 AM   #27
Elegantly copy+pasted

If there are no first person games in the pipeline that are receiving as much hype as any of the games on the list (and I certainly can't think of any), what's unfair about that?
Old 10-02-2005, 05:29 AM   #28
Easily amused

I guess I was just hoping that some other gamers here would be looking forward to the same games I am. My bad.
Old 10-02-2005, 10:56 AM   #29
Hopeful skeptic

Hmm, well, it's true that most AG staff prefer 3/P games as a general rule, but it's a little too convenient to write the list off to bias. We had Myst V and Voyage on until recently, and would be happy to include more 1/P games. But we won't add them as token minorities (which is how I interpret "fair representation" in this case). They have to earn their way on, and I'm just not seeing the same degree of public anticipation for the ones you mentioned. Rhem 2 never seems to generate widespread interest, Barrow Hill hasn't created much exposure for itself and has no publisher, and TAC hasn't promoted Sacred Rings much, as I said earlier. Scratches was definitely considered, but again the lack of English publisher works against its inclusion at this stage. When you can only pick ten, these things are pretty critical.

So, basically, the "hype" isn't there at this stage. Doesn't mean they're being ignored, though.
Old 10-02-2005, 10:59 AM   #30
merely human

Yes, true. The site reports on all the upcoming games, but usually the ones with the most prominence, the most buzz, make it to the list.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 10-02-2005, 12:30 PM   #31
Under pressure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackal
Barrow Hill hasn't created much exposure for itself and has no publisher, and TAC hasn't promoted Sacred Rings much, as I said earlier. Scratches was definitely considered, but again the lack of English publisher works against its inclusion at this stage.
What about self-published games, like Bone? Or does a game have to be published by a publisher to be considered?

--Erwin
Old 10-02-2005, 12:56 PM   #32
Hopeful skeptic

Let me back up. First of all, there are no requirements to be considered. Just existing is enough. Though active development is pretty much required for any kind of extended stay on the list (see AVS and Sapphire Claw).

But this is a hype list, after all, and not knowing when or even if a game will ever reach market tends to put a crimp in people's enthusiasm after a while, and that's where publishing factors in. Self-publishing is just fine. But if there's no publisher at all, then you risk situations like Boyz Don't Cry, which looked really intriguing, and even made the list for a while, and then never panned out (in English, anyway). So we'd rather avoid that if it's a toss-up between games of equal quality.
Old 10-02-2005, 12:56 PM   #33
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erwin_Br
What about self-published games, like Bone? Or does a game have to be published by a publisher to be considered?
I think the fact that Bone was just on the Hype-o-meter answers your question. Its excitement and buzz towards its release comes from the fact that the team behind it used to work for LA and were the creative force behind some of the best and most important adventures. I would say a n00bie dev, like Shadow Tor Studios (who is making Barrow Hill), doesn't have yet a similar level of reknown and respect that the team from TellTale has to generate the hype and excitement. If Barrow Hill were to become a critically acclaimed, and/or a commercially successful game, then I'd think the next title coming from Shadow Tor Studios would most likely make it to the Hype-o-meter.

Another determining factor is how frequently the developer and publisher actively sustain their own hype, through press releases, screenshots, movies, interviews, etc.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 10-02-2005, 01:19 PM   #34
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackal
But if there's no publisher at all, then you risk situations like Boyz Don't Cry, which looked really intriguing, and even made the list for a while, and then never panned out (in English, anyway).
Nothing to lose your sleep about, really, if that is any consolation.

As for the H-o-M, sad as it is to see Sapphire Claw go, out of the featured ten it's hard to point a game which would not look promising by any kind of objective standards (except a sequel to Runaway, which very objectively sucked). Also, while I hate people badmouthing first person games for no reason on the forums, there indeed is nothing that exciting on the horizon in that perspective (not counting WHATEVER: game Kheops makes next).
Old 10-02-2005, 01:32 PM   #35
merely human

BTW, how do you guys pronounce Hype-o-meter?

I say "hype-AH-muh'ter", myself. Makes it sound more scientific and legit, as if there were actually such a contraption in existence.
Old 10-02-2005, 01:41 PM   #36
Dungeon Master

Hypo meet'er

("Hypo" as in "typo".)
Old 10-02-2005, 01:50 PM   #37
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFGNCAAP
Hypo meet'er

("Hypo" as in "typo".)
Are you going to change your personal Hyp-O-Meter?

I like the new avatar!!!!!!!!
Old 10-02-2005, 02:04 PM   #38
Puts the 'e' in Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
I say "hype-AH-muh'ter", myself.
Is that actually a real, valid pronounciation (as far as that goes for invented words, of course)? Metallus of Mixnmojo.com pronounced it that way at E3 and I thought he just made it up because it sounded funny.
Old 10-02-2005, 02:05 PM   #39
merely human

Hell if I know, I'm just a humble gamer.
Old 10-02-2005, 02:21 PM   #40
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanie68
Are you going to change your personal Hyp-O-Meter?

I like the new avatar!!!!!!!!
Thanks, I loved this movie (as is the case with almost each Tim Burton's creation).

I actually tweaked my signature a bit today, but as it's about "personal" hype, I keep it up with the release dates down here (until the game hits the shelves or I think it won't get any publishing deal - whichever comes first) so games like Fahrenheit and Voyage, though released in some countries, may stay there for a while longer. That, and I am slowly getting tired with this idea anyway.