Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   Feedback (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/feedback/)
-   -   What's with the popups and ads? (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/feedback/10740-whats-popups-ads.html)

Wormsie 09-29-2005 06:49 AM

What's with the popups and ads?

There was a popup ad on the forum main page today. (I wonder how they manage to bypass Firefox's popup blocker... Perhaps they call a new window to open when window.close() (or some other function, I've forgotten loads about JavaScript) is called). And then there is the occasional normal ad. Will they be gone? And why have they suddenly appeared?

Marek 09-29-2005 06:53 AM

I'm running a few experiments with ads on the site.

You might have seen some popups during the last 10 minutes while browsing the forums, but they should be gone now. If you still see any popups or popunders send me a PM telling me when you saw it and which advertiser it was, thanks :)

SamNMax 09-29-2005 02:22 PM

You sold out, man. You sold out.

Intrepid Homoludens 09-29-2005 02:24 PM

Marek, is it possible to move the ads down to the bottom of the forum pages?

fov 09-29-2005 02:48 PM

I was wondering the same thing. :)

tabacco 09-29-2005 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
Marek, is it possible to move the ads down to the bottom of the forum pages?

Ads below the fold are pretty pointless.

Intrepid Homoludens 09-29-2005 03:20 PM

Ah well.

squarejawhero 09-30-2005 12:27 AM

I expect no comments about JA+ using ads from now on.

;)

Seriously! I'll whip you with my flagellation stick!

These ads, have to be said, are just a teensy bit annoying. But I did discover I'm related to Henry Tudor, which was nice.

Marek 09-30-2005 12:28 AM

Whether these ads stay depends on a number of things, though rest assured, they weren't just added to make an extra buck. (Erm, technically they were, but I'm sure you catch my drift. :) )

I hope the ads are not too annoying. Only a few show up per session, and I've made some effort to select ads that look good, don't have blinking text, and so on.

Intrepid Homoludens 09-30-2005 12:47 AM

:P It takes just a second longer for the page to load up. Can't imagine what the dialup users are experiencing. Heh heh...

UPtimist 09-30-2005 01:14 AM

What's up with the huge names? They weren't that big before...

Marek 09-30-2005 01:51 AM

I think Doug reverted one of the templates while upgrading the forum.

Melanie68 09-30-2005 06:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
:P It takes just a second longer for the page to load up. Can't imagine what the dialup users are experiencing. Heh heh...

It's not that bad (but thanks for thinking of us poor slobs :) )

fov 09-30-2005 06:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marek
I hope the ads are not too annoying. Only a few show up per session, and I've made some effort to select ads that look good, don't have blinking text, and so on.

I like the ad space on the main page, off to the right and near the bottom. It's nice and unobtrusive.

But they're not too annoying up at the top of the forum, after the initial surprise of seeing them there.

Ninth 09-30-2005 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tabacco
Ads below the fold are pretty pointless.

What does "below the fold" mean? :crazy:
Also, I'm not seeing any difference... :crazy: again.

Marek 09-30-2005 07:25 AM

Below the fold means below the first screen you see without scrolling. It's a term carried over from newspaper advertising, where "above the fold" is the top half of the page that's seen in the newspaper racks.

Ninth 09-30-2005 07:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marek
Below the fold means below the first screen you see without scrolling. It's a term carried over from newspaper advertising, where "above the fold" is the top half of the page that's seen in the newspaper racks.

Ok.
Thanks.

Jake 09-30-2005 07:37 AM

There are only a few ads per session, but after it stops displaying ads, it seems to leave a big empty space there, which is even less cool than an ad :)

Marek 09-30-2005 11:10 AM

Hmmmm that might be a Mac thing or something. Care to take a screenshot? :)

tabacco 09-30-2005 01:32 PM

Could be a stray <br> in the template?