You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Feedback And Then There Were None - great interview!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-26-2005, 08:59 PM   #1

Default And Then There Were None - great interview!

Just thought I'd say that I liked it - a whole big interview with Lee Sheldon and a really interesting discussion of the game!
Old 09-26-2005, 09:07 PM   #2
Super Moderator

I second that (mszv's opinion). I love mystery novels. It is fast becoming one of my favorite genres (P.D. James, Colin Dexter, Ellis Peters, Elizabeth George, Georges Simenon). I have read a little bit of Agatha Christie but am looking forward to this game. Some of the things they touched on - the ability to influence the other characters reactions to you and the effect on the story, the interactivity with your environment, logical puzzles - these are things that will make this game replayable and keep your interest and are components that many adventure gamers are looking for (re: the popularity of DOTT, Shadow of Destiny).

I just hope I have the computer for it.
Old 09-26-2005, 09:09 PM   #3
gaybrush threepwoody

Send a message via AIM to eriq Send a message via Yahoo to eriq

This is a really really good looking game. I especially like the inventory shot. Probably the best looking interface (as well as items!) of any adventure game recently. Gorgeous visuals. And I need a good mystery.
Old 09-26-2005, 09:24 PM   #4

Send a message via AIM to Legolas813

I read ATTWN (the novel) earlier this year after hearing they were making a game about it. I highly recommend it. Great book and should be a great game too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanie68
I just hope I have the computer for it.

Last edited by Legolas813; 09-26-2005 at 09:32 PM.
Old 09-26-2005, 09:52 PM   #5
gaybrush threepwoody

So if you read the book, are you spoiling the game? do you think?
Old 09-26-2005, 09:55 PM   #6

Send a message via AIM to Legolas813

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriq
So if you read the book, are you spoiling the game? do you think?
From the official site: "Multiple game endings – the ending is entirely in your hands. If you know what happens in the book… you don’t know what happens in the game!"

From the AG interview: "SN: As far as the fans go, I don't see how you could have made this game without changing certain things. If the killer hadn't changed, one of your prime motivations would be gone. You would have been in the room with the killer right at the beginning of the game and you would be looking at the screen saying, "It's that person, I know it is." I would think you would be very frustrated."
Old 09-26-2005, 10:11 PM   #7
gaybrush threepwoody

Well there are, obviously, going to be some spoilers (characters, events, etc.) but they definetely changed some things. I wonder if I should read it?!
Old 09-26-2005, 10:18 PM   #8
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legolas813
Thanks!!
Old 09-26-2005, 10:50 PM   #9
OB

Interviews are usually somewhat boring, but I think this was a great one. Lots of good info, and they seem genuinely behind this one.
Old 09-26-2005, 11:29 PM   #10
gaybrush threepwoody

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange Brat
Interviews are usually somewhat boring, but I think this was a great one. Lots of good info, and they seem genuinely behind this one.
I thought so too. What makes it even more intriguing is that Lee Sheldon also wrote a book about character development in games; and this game, being a mystery, relies on great character work. Looks like a winner so far.

Did anyone like "The Colonel's Bequest" as much as I did back in the day?
Old 09-27-2005, 01:18 AM   #11
capsized.

Quote:

Did anyone like "The Colonel's Bequest" as much as I did back in the day?
I'm with you, even though I've played it some months ago for the very first time. And apparently, And Then There Were None is going to be far less cookie cutter than I thought:

Quote:
That's really not how I approach puzzle design. I approach puzzles as dramatic obstacles as much as anything else. All of them should be there to do something other than to slow the player down.

There are character-driven puzzles, trying to figure what's up with these people, to try and track down the killer. Then some mechanical puzzles are there, but not ones that come in from left field. Everything makes sense. You are trapped on an island, so there are puzzles related to trying to get off the island.
And that's a neat trick to pull off:

Quote:
Basically the way the game works is there are times when you are restricted in your movement and there are other times when it just kind of balloons out. Then you are able to explore the island and pretty much do whatever you want for awhile. Then another segment of time might pass, where you get sort of railroaded back into the house. The weather is a large mitigating factor on whether you go outside or not. This also served as a device for us. If we needed the player to be inside the house, we'll step up the weather to become a fierce thunderstorm.
Old 09-27-2005, 08:02 AM   #12
gaybrush threepwoody

I agree. I like how the weather comes into play.

One of my biggest gripes with adventure games recently has been the restriction of exploration; mostly due to poor puzzle design. Many games today seem to limit you to one or two tasks before you can "unlock" or explore a new area or puzzle. With this game, it sounds like he's allowing for multiple puzzles happening at once. Innovation finally!
Old 09-27-2005, 01:35 PM   #13
Bearly Here

I was impressed by the thought given to the design process, from a gameplay stance and also with a firm sense of Agatha Christie, how the story would look if brought to life. Also seems like after a series of poor adaptions [movies mainly] someone wants to get it right.

[I thought their use of the weather was clever myself].

Before this, I was on the fence about this game, though the fact that Lee Sheldon was writing the story and designing the game was a strong positive.

Their whole approach seems focused on whatever it takes to create an accessible & immersive game experience.
Old 09-27-2005, 01:38 PM   #14
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

It's rare that my expectations for this kind of game increase after reading an interview, but this one managed it. Now I just hope that the thing delivers on its promises...

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 09-27-2005, 01:45 PM   #15
gaybrush threepwoody

I also really like the main menu screen. It reminds me of the beginning of Lara Bow 2 : The Dagger of Amon Ra. Very period. Very nicely designed. I bet we hear sounds of midnight crickets and see (and hear) the creepy noose swinging back and forth.
Old 09-27-2005, 02:00 PM   #16
Burning

Quote:
Well there are, obviously, going to be some spoilers (characters, events, etc.) but they definetely changed some things. I wonder if I should read it?!
You should read the book, irrespective of the game, because it is one of the best mystery novel of all time, a must read, second only to 'The Murder of Roger Ackroyd', which is the best detective story I have ever read
Old 09-27-2005, 02:03 PM   #17
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

The works of Conan Doyle are better, though ...

/me starts a flamewar.

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 09-28-2005, 10:26 AM   #18

I've read Agatha Christie, but I'm not a super big fan of her work. It's hard to overlook the strong social class biases.

I do think that her works can be translated brilliantly to other media - those PBS versions of Miss Marple were great! I'm looking forward to this game.

On Sherlock Holmes - that same class/race bias is there, but, for some reason, I don't find it so offensive. I enjoy reading Sherlock Holmes, though the stories can be a bit odd - but I'll save you all the deconstruction and literary analysis. I think that the character and stories were translated brilliantly to those TV shows, the ones with Jeremy Brett as Sherlock Holmes - the best Holmes ever! I haven't played any of the Sherlock Holmes games, but it seems to me that the concepts and stories would also translate nicely to a game environment.
Old 09-28-2005, 05:01 PM   #19
OUATIJ Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mszv
I think that the character and stories were translated brilliantly to those TV shows, the ones with Jeremy Brett as Sherlock Holmes - the best Holmes ever!
Yes. That point is actually indisputable.
Old 09-28-2005, 05:52 PM   #20
Bearly Here

Jeremy Brett was the definative Holmes - without a doubt. He is missed.