You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-25-2005, 07:56 AM   #21

The engine was apparently built before Texas Hold'Em, and actual production on Bone began in February. So, even though some production aspects will obviously go quicker for the second game, the schedule for making the game itself really isn't all that different (less if anything).
Old 09-25-2005, 08:08 AM   #22
Hopeful skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Udvarnoky
The engine was apparently built before Texas Hold'Em, and actual production on Bone began in February. So, even though some production aspects will obviously go quicker for the second game, the schedule for making the game itself really isn't all that different (less if anything).
Well, use of time is just as important as length of time. They don't need to repeat voice casting and other time consuming issues. And maybe with income from episode one, they can hire more staff, etc. And maybe they need to re-assess their timeframe. Who knows? It's all just guessing from the outside at this stage, but what doesn't seem to be debatable is that many people won't be as receptive to a second episode as short as the first.
Old 09-26-2005, 02:54 AM   #23

Send a message via AIM to Hiro Protagonist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cellardoor
Hey Rob,

Nice review! As a 'professional' banjo player, I'm curious about Smiley's instrument. You mention it's a banjo, yet judging from the shape and material it appears to be a mandolin... And why does it have but one string?
Hehe...I was wondering when that would be brought up. I'm with you on this one, but they call it a banjo, so i'm calling it a banjo. Even the official Bone figurine packaging refers to "Smiley and his banjo"...
Old 09-26-2005, 11:02 AM   #24
Knowledgeable

Send a message via ICQ to ragnar Send a message via MSN to ragnar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiro Protagonist
And for anyone who hasn't read the comics yet, Amazon has the first book Out from Boneville for around 5 bucks right now, and has just released the full nine book set in one trade paperback as well...give them a shot. You definately won't be disappointed.

(rob)
The question is why one would want to buy the book when you have played the game. If I understand correctly, the content is virtually the same.

Read my adventure game reviews here
Blaskan
Dragon Go Server
Ragnar Ouchterlony
Old 09-26-2005, 11:26 AM   #25

No?
Old 09-26-2005, 11:26 AM   #26

There are plenty of things in the book that aren't in the game, even just subtle things like seeing the army of rat creatures.

Regarding game length - it wouldn't take much to have more hotspots and perhaps having a 'look' as well as 'use / pick up' option for objects. The context-senstive cursor is great, but it does feel like the game is playing itself at times.

Also in the axe puzzle, there could have been a few other items that could have been picked up tried and failed to deliver the desired outcome.

And more sandbox type interactive areas that don't move the plot forward would help pad out the gameplay in a good way.

And finally, the overuse of Ted's Big Brother to solve 2 or three puzzles was a little annoying.

So, what I'm saying is that even if there aren't too many more locatins per se in future installments, there are ways of squeezing a lot more gameplay into those locations without, I would imagine, too much extra development time needed.
Old 09-26-2005, 11:34 AM   #27
Knowledgeable

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp-30
There are plenty of things in the book that aren't in the game, even just subtle things like seeing the army of rat creatures.
Ah, well perhaps I should buy the books *instead* of the games, ah well, I will probably not buy the books, and follow the story from the game instead (yes, I will probably buy the follow up to).

Blaskan
Dragon Go Server
Ragnar Ouchterlony
Old 09-26-2005, 11:39 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnar
Ah, well perhaps I should buy the books *instead* of the games, ah well, I will probably not buy the books, and follow the story from the game instead (yes, I will probably buy the follow up to).
Conversely there are bits in the game not in the book.

Here's what I did - several months ago I got Out From Boneville from the library to familiarise myself with the story / characters, then got the game. For the subsequent episodes I intend playing the game first, then getting the book from the library so the story surprises come at me via the game, not a book.

And I'm betting by the time the whole BONE game story is complete, I'll want to fork out for the Scholastic colourised compendium.
Old 09-26-2005, 11:45 AM   #29
Knowledgeable

I'd be surprised to find Out From Boneville in any library here in Sweden.

Blaskan
Dragon Go Server
Ragnar Ouchterlony
Old 10-01-2005, 01:39 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnar
I'd be surprised to find Out From Boneville in any library here in Sweden.
Why? It's in normal libraries in Norway. Just look in the youth section.
Old 10-01-2005, 04:46 AM   #31
Grah! Grah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp-30
it wouldn't take much to have more hotspots and perhaps having a 'look' as well as 'use / pick up' option for objects. The context-senstive cursor is great, but it does feel like the game is playing itself at times.
There is a look option for all the hotspots, by right clicking, although I initially didn't realise this either; I don't think it's covered in either the tutorial or the manual. It's a shame that this part of the interface isn't more intuitive, as my enjoyment of the game improved greatly as soon as I discovered the look option, prior to which I was extremely reluctant to buy the game. I really think an interface in the style of Full Throttle's burning skull is ideal for point and click adventures.

Despite the look option the game definitely could have used more hotspots a bit less linearity and an extra layer of polish (particularly technically and in the action sequences), but I still think it's getting lot more flak than it deserves. The game deserved to be lauded for its wonderfully organic and varied feeling puzzles/gameplay (as the review rightly does) and atmosphere. Even with the relative scarcity of hotspots, Bone is the first adventure since the Longest Journey to provide me with the sense of discovery and joy that comes with exploring a new world, and was always present in the best Sierra and Lucasarts games.

I also think criticism of the game's length is overzealous. I finished in under 2 hours, and admittedly if I'd been expecting this I likely wouldn't have bought the game, but having experienced I felt satisfied; when playing the game it seems very clear to me what the $20 is going towards and the game was able to sustain two more playthroughs almost immediately afterwards. I find it somewhat absurd to judge a game on length; I don't see a good 4 hour film as inherently superior to a good 90 minute film, so why should I do so with games? Similarly, I would rather pay $20 for Bone in its current state than the same game with arbitrary, obscure puzzles (or even ones that are good and logical, but exceedingly difficult and placed in such a way as to bring the game to a sudden halt) taking it to a few hours longer. Gameplay should be above all things be fun and Bone accomplishes this far more effectively than many games.

On the subject of puzzles, I actually liked the ones with Ted's big brother and found the supposed repetition (clever variation is how I'd describe it) later in the game quite satisfying. It made me feel sort of warm and tingly, and it's rare for anything non-alcoholic to do that.
Old 10-01-2005, 08:00 AM   #32
fov
Rattenmonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkface
I also think criticism of the game's length is overzealous. I finished in under 2 hours, and admittedly if I'd been expecting this I likely wouldn't have bought the game, but having experienced I felt satisfied; when playing the game it seems very clear to me what the $20 is going towards and the game was able to sustain two more playthroughs almost immediately afterwards. I find it somewhat absurd to judge a game on length; I don't see a good 4 hour film as inherently superior to a good 90 minute film, so why should I do so with games? Similarly, I would rather pay $20 for Bone in its current state than the same game with arbitrary, obscure puzzles (or even ones that are good and logical, but exceedingly difficult and placed in such a way as to bring the game to a sudden halt) taking it to a few hours longer. Gameplay should be above all things be fun and Bone accomplishes this far more effectively than many games.
Thank you for saying this. I agree completely.
Old 10-01-2005, 02:39 PM   #33
Under pressure.

I'm not so much bothered by the actual gameplay time, but more about how the story advances in this timeframe. It just advances too quickly. It jumps from moment to moment with giant steps.

--Erwin