You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-23-2005, 05:14 AM   #1
Magic Wand Waver

Send a message via MSN to Fairygdmther
Default Walkthroughs

Has there ever been any thought given to having walkthroughs on AG? Why? Why not? Links to others?

Lynsie
Old 09-23-2005, 09:15 PM   #2
Squeaky

I think that's a great idea Lynsie. Perhaps a sticky thread on the Hint Requests and Technical Problems board, with the first post being an evolving alphabetised list of links to external walkthroughs - the list being updated as forumites nominate (or write) good walkthroughs.

It'd have to cut down on all the "Stuck on puzzle X in game Y" threads.
Old 09-23-2005, 09:58 PM   #3
fov
Rattenmonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by simpson_yellow
It'd have to cut down on all the "Stuck on puzzle X in game Y" threads.
Eh, I don't know about that. Some people just like to get a hint. I personally hate checking walkthroughs because I inevitably see something more than what I want to see.

That's why I like UHS, but even that gives things away inadvertantly sometimes. Asking for help on the forum can be nice because people go out of their way to give good hints that don't spoil things.
Old 09-23-2005, 10:22 PM   #4
Squeaky

True. And considering I joined this community after "asking for help on the forum" and having "people go out of their way" in response, I should know better than to post something like that .

And I'm the same as you in this regard - whenever I look up a walkthrough for hints, I go to bizarre lengths to avoid seeing anything I don't want to. I'll usually squint to reduce the chances of seeing peripheral spoilers, and will grab the nearest object I can find and hold it up to cover the scroll bar so I can't find out how far through the game I am. Last week, my girlfriend walked in and found me squinting hard and holding a large book up against my monitor. She backed slowly out of the room.

That notwithstanding, a place where forum members can post or link their own walkthroughs wouldn't be a bad idea.

Last edited by simpson_yellow; 09-23-2005 at 10:27 PM.
Old 09-24-2005, 04:23 AM   #5
AGA
AdventureGameAficionado

There are links to the relevant UHS Reader files where they exist. Unless that feature has gone. Dunno, it's been ages since I last read the front page.

Yes, linking to walkthrough sites would be good. I wonder why we never thought of that before...
Old 09-24-2005, 05:21 AM   #6
Magic Wand Waver

Send a message via MSN to Fairygdmther

AGA - that is a generic link site page. What I had in mind was a link per game, so that if I want to look up a w/t for Amber, there will be a link to a w/t for Amber, and links to patches would be placed with the w/t links. It would save a lot of grief if you have a problem and discover that there is a patch you could apply, and maybe even avoid using the w/t to solve the problem.

Lynsie
Old 09-24-2005, 06:10 AM   #7
AGA
AdventureGameAficionado

Hmm, well. It takes a LOT of time and effort to write just one comprehensive walkthrough. I think we can rule out AG writing its own. As for linking to external walkthroughs, I suppose it's possible. Not up to me though, of course
Old 09-24-2005, 08:46 AM   #8
Fulci lives

I could really do with a walkthrough to Nibiru.
Old 09-24-2005, 09:05 AM   #9
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamham Chan
I could really do with a walkthrough to Nibiru.
Google is your friend.
Old 09-24-2005, 09:28 AM   #10

Send a message via AIM to Legolas813

It's really not that hard to go to your favorite walkthrough site and get help there, or just search on Google.
Old 09-24-2005, 10:17 AM   #11
Super Moderator

What about making a sticky page with all of the threads that contain hints while the game is new. Nibiru is a good example. A lot of people are asking for help and consoidating the different threads (not in one big thread but links to those threads) may help direct those who have a problem to find something already posted and if it isn't there, start a new thread (I also found this site while looking for help )
Old 09-24-2005, 01:43 PM   #12

There was a time when AG did have some - around 98 or 99. I know because I wrote one. That was.....so boring. I doubt the site will have our own written walkthroughs anytime soon, so for now the forums will have to do if you want hints.
Old 09-24-2005, 04:49 PM   #13
fov
Rattenmonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanie68
What about making a sticky page with all of the threads that contain hints while the game is new. Nibiru is a good example. A lot of people are asking for help and consoidating the different threads (not in one big thread but links to those threads) may help direct those who have a problem to find something already posted and if it isn't there, start a new thread (I also found this site while looking for help )
My concern with this is that someone who's looking for help on an Nibiru problem early on is going to have to read through a thread full of info about the rest of the game to find the answer to their problem. Sort of the same problem with getting help from a walkthrough.
Old 09-24-2005, 05:45 PM   #14
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov
My concern with this is that someone who's looking for help on an Nibiru problem early on is going to have to read through a thread full of info about the rest of the game to find the answer to their problem. Sort of the same problem with getting help from a walkthrough.
That's a good point (I'm glad you figured out that last sentence of mine-it was awkwardly written).
Old 09-24-2005, 06:01 PM   #15

I rarely use actual walkthroughs. If I need help I go on UHS, or I ask on a message board.
Old 09-24-2005, 06:03 PM   #16
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynsie
AGA - that is a generic link site page. What I had in mind was a link per game, so that if I want to look up a w/t for Amber, there will be a link to a w/t for Amber, and links to patches would be placed with the w/t links. It would save a lot of grief if you have a problem and discover that there is a patch you could apply, and maybe even avoid using the w/t to solve the problem.
Hmm, well. It takes a LOT of time and effort to write just one comprehensive walkthrough. I think we can rule out AG writing its own. As for linking to external walkthroughs, I suppose it's possible. Not up to me though, of course
It does take a lot of time and effort. Also, another concern I have with having a special site page for walkthroughs (as well as linking to walkthroughs and patches for every single game's database file) is that of constantly checking every single one to make sure the links still exist and/or the information revised. Personally I'd rather either google it myself or ask in the Hints & Tech section of the forum.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 09-26-2005, 02:22 PM   #17
Fulci lives

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Baldwin
Thanks for the tip.

Quote:
It's really not that hard to go to your favorite walkthrough site and get help there, or just search on Google.
Whenever i get stuck in a game, i usually go to gamefaqs.com straight away.
But it often takes awhile before they get walkthroughs for newly released adventure games.
So google.com is a good tip.
Old 09-26-2005, 02:31 PM   #18

Quote:
But it often takes awhile before they get walkthroughs for newly released adventure games.
Probably because the FAQ writers are busy playing the new games first before working on the walkthroughs.
Old 09-26-2005, 03:28 PM   #19

Quote:
So google.com is a good tip.
No offense, but if you don't know about Google I question whether you have used the internet before.
Old 09-27-2005, 12:14 PM   #20
Fulci lives

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legolas813
No offense, but if you don't know about Google I question whether you have used the internet before.
Of course i know about Google, i often use it to search for naughty pictures.