You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-17-2005, 05:45 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to Legolas813
Default Nibiru Review

Wow, that review was a little harsh, IMO. I think the game deserves at least 3 1/2 stars. It has one very difficult puzzle, but I don't think you can judge the game by just that. (The last puzzle I found very easy, so I don't know where the complaints are coming from for that.) Overall, I found it to be a very polished and enjoyable game. I really liked the setting, atmosphere, and interface. Yes, the game is short. Yes, the ending leaves something to be desired. But I still think it deserves more credit than people are giving it. I mean surely if you are willing to pay $20 for Bone (no offense), Nibiru is also worth your $20.
Old 09-17-2005, 06:47 PM   #2

I'd give the game 4/5, primarily because of some voice acting problems
Spoiler:
e.g. the tone in which Martin spoke to George about death of Martin's uncle seemed too cheerful and unnatural to me
and the ending which could use a little more work.

As far as the sliding puzzles, I found them quite easy and enjoyable, as I enjoy sliding puzzles in general. By contrast, my brother just quit playing the game after spending two hours trying to solve the colored beads puzzle. Perhaps, it would have been more fair to give the game 2 scores, one for persons who have difficulty solving or don't like sliding puzzles and one for those who enjoy such challenges.

One thing confused me in the review though. What Laura meant by "outer ring" being "hopelessly deadlocked"? Did you mean that the outer ring just got stuck and wouldn't move or that you hit the dead end in the puzzle where it has become unsolvable? I solved the puzzle several times, and I haven't encountered any of such problems.
Old 09-17-2005, 07:45 PM   #3
Bearly Here

Quote:
What Laura meant by "outer ring" being "hopelessly deadlocked"?
Fair question - I meant it was at a positon where to get it straight you'd have to re-work through a lot of the puzzle and back track. Of course if there had been a re-set feature I could have started over, but since there wasn't and this was also unexpected, I would have had to go back to the vey beginning of the Mayan level as I had a large time gap between saves. The lack of a re-set feature is to me a design choice that was not well made.

The puzzles weren't the only flaw, The voice work, some stilted character movement., the weak ending. but they all took what would have been a classic fun game down a bit. I can appreciate you were more forgiving of these flaws. Some gamers will be the same. But, many will not. I have to look at a game from the sense that people are trying to decide whether to buy a game. If it's in there and it's gonna make people crazy - it needs to be said.

I also think there are a lot of engaging parts to the game and said that as well.
Old 09-18-2005, 02:07 AM   #4

I don't see what is wrong with the slider puzzle. I liked it, myself, and even though it wasn't easy, grading down the game because of it seems a bit unfair.
Note that I would have given it 3 stars as well, but the puzzles seemed fine to me.