You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2005, 09:06 AM   #1
Magic Wand Waver

Send a message via MSN to Fairygdmther
Default Voyage Review

Nice job, fov! I haven't played much of RtMI - I backed myself into a corner I can't get out of, and have to restart it. It certainly is a gorgeous game though. I hope Voyage is done as well. The premise intrigues me. You did seem to like it overall.

Lynsie
Old 09-12-2005, 11:35 AM   #2

hey,

first time poster, long time lurker here nice review, though the last paragraph seems to be full of spoilers concerning the end. I'm currently playing the game (and got stuck, as a matter of fact, but that's stuff for another thread) so I quickly scrolled up not to read too much, but maybe a warning should be added or something. just my 2 cents, though
Old 09-12-2005, 11:38 AM   #3
fov
Rattenmonster

Welcome to the forum.

I was very careful not to give any spoilers in that last paragraph. It does allude to what happens in vague terms (and the ending was one of the best parts of the game, in my opinion, so I couldn't stand not to mention it!) But if you reread it after you've finished the game, I think you'll find that it doesn't really give anything away.

As for being stuck - post the problem you're having in our Hints forum, and I'm sure someone will be able to help you!

FGM - I did enjoy the game... a lot more than I thought I would, to be honest! I'm going to play RtMI next to see how it compares.

Last edited by fov; 09-12-2005 at 11:44 AM.
Old 09-12-2005, 10:47 PM   #4
Senior *female* member

Yeah, nice review, fov! I haven't finished Voyage yet, not much time to play, but enough time to roam around the forums.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov
FGM - I did enjoy the game... a lot more than I thought I would, to be honest! I'm going to play RtMI next to see how it compares.
I'm sure you'll enjoy RtMI too. It makes much better use of the great inventory system.
Old 09-13-2005, 06:46 AM   #5
Hopeful skeptic

I'm surprised this game isn't generating more chatter. RMI seemed pretty popular on these boards, and Voyage offers much of the same - only different.

Personally I preferred Mysterious Island, but I can't objectively say it was better. There was just something a little more comfortable about it, whereas everything in Voyage was so... well... alien.

Still a fine example of a budget production, and I'll certainly grab the next game in this format from Kheops.

FGM, I hadn't heard of any dead ends in RMI. Like Voyage, if you've eliminated one avenue, usually another one is lurking somewhere.
Old 09-13-2005, 07:26 AM   #6

Nice review, looking forward to playing the game (the release date over here is 7. oct, and I've got it pre-ordered* ofcourse )

*www.play.com , £14.99, free shipping (european name: Journey to the Moon).
Old 09-13-2005, 07:40 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov
I'm going to play RtMI next to see how it compares.
more of the same actually so I'm sure you'll enjoy it. it's much shorter than voyage, though, but I think the item combinations are more varied in rtmi (as far as I can remember), but it has some arcade elements, too (ok, catching a falling mushroom wasn't that easy in voyage, so let's call it equal )
Old 09-13-2005, 07:48 AM   #8
Mrs. Bear

Send a message via AIM to natalia

Great review, Emily. I was just in the computer store the other day and talked myself out of buying Voyage because I hadn't yet read a review of the game yet. Looks like it's back out to the store for me!
Old 09-13-2005, 08:41 AM   #9
Magic Wand Waver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackal
I'm surprised this game isn't generating more chatter. RMI seemed pretty popular on these boards, and Voyage offers much of the same - only different.

Personally I preferred Mysterious Island, but I can't objectively say it was better. There was just something a little more comfortable about it, whereas everything in Voyage was so... well... alien.

Still a fine example of a budget production, and I'll certainly grab the next game in this format from Kheops.

FGM, I hadn't heard of any dead ends in RMI. Like Voyage, if you've eliminated one avenue, usually another one is lurking somewhere.
Jackal - I broke the knife before I got the vine with thorns. You can't pregress to where you can get more metal to make another without that. So I'm still on the beach, and can't get past that.

Lynsie
Old 09-13-2005, 01:16 PM   #10
Senior *female* member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairygdmther
Jackal - I broke the knife before I got the vine with thorns. You can't pregress to where you can get more metal to make another without that. So I'm still on the beach, and can't get past that.
You're not stuck. I don't think it's possible to get stuck in this game. Virtually everything has two solutions. You can make two knives because there are two pieces of metal to be found on or near the beach.

Spoiler:
1. use the limestone on the piece of wood with the metal attached to it, where Mina says "rock solid". 2. there's another piece of metal near the place where you find the worms.
Old 09-13-2005, 04:05 PM   #11
Magic Wand Waver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fienepien
You're not stuck. I don't think it's possible to get stuck in this game. Virtually everything has two solutions. You can make two knives because there are two pieces of metal to be found on or near the beach.

Spoiler:
1. use the limestone on the piece of wood with the metal attached to it, where Mina says "rock solid". 2. there's another piece of metal near the place where you find the worms.
Thanks, Fienepien - I'll try that. The only metal I had seen was up on the rocks, and I couldn't take that.

Lynsie
Old 09-14-2005, 12:53 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackal
I'm surprised this game isn't generating more chatter.
I'd like to be chattering, but that would mean that it's out in french yet, which is not the case (end of september, I think) .
Old 09-14-2005, 08:38 AM   #13
fov
Rattenmonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninth
I'd like to be chattering, but that would mean that it's out in french yet, which is not the case (end of september, I think) .
In that case, you're forgiven.
Old 09-14-2005, 09:32 AM   #14
capsized.

The review makes it sound pretty juicy. If only they'd made a game based on Lovecraft's works or something. (I'm not that intrigued by this game's premise, and content is, what matters to me, too).
Old 09-14-2005, 09:46 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by samIamsad
The review makes it sound pretty juicy. If only they'd made a game based on Lovecraft's works or something. (I'm not that intrigued by this game's premise, and content is, what matters to me, too).
I never liked 1st person adventures (or shooters for that matter) and never got into wells' and verne's works (though I love to read other stuff) nor I like games/movies/books taking place a couple of centuries earlier, as it is the case with voyage but one day I was bored and decided to try the demo of rtmi and I was hooked! the inventory management, all those combinations, the cleverness behind the game is what appealed to me first and eventually I got to like the story and other elements of the game, too.

I had high hopes about echo, too and even though I liked it (and won it from this very site btw ) it was far too short and linear so when I learned that voyage is gonna be another one of these 'huge inventory' games, it instantly topped my wanted list (along with fahrenheit and dreamfall, but that's another story).

so, why don't you give it (or rather, 'them') a try and see if you'll find it/them any good
Old 09-14-2005, 09:47 AM   #16
fov
Rattenmonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by samIamsad
I can't remember, did you try the demo? I wasn't really intrigued by the premise at first, but the gameplay in the demo hooked me.
Old 09-14-2005, 10:23 AM   #17
capsized.

Yes, their approach to inventory managment is what I'm interested in. Right now, when I'm thinking of Voyage, I'm thinking of: Verne. Puzzles. Alien landscapes. In short: I'm not sold yet.

fov, I haven't tried the demo yet, but I'll do once I'm back in my apartment. How big is the download?
Old 09-14-2005, 10:32 AM   #18
fov
Rattenmonster

It's about 350 MB. News item here.

Gah. I remember when whole games were considered unbearably huge at 25 MB.
Old 09-14-2005, 10:55 AM   #19
capsized.

...and when you never had enough conventional memory to even run them. 350 MB is fine. My traffic limit is 2 gigs per month.
Old 09-14-2005, 12:51 PM   #20
Citizen of Bizarro World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninth
Are you actually waiting for a French language version to be released, or is the English version simply not out in France yet? Why not just order it over Ebay, or something?
Under land of no free! Am us home coward-leeee!

~Excerpt from the Bizarro Anthem