You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2005, 01:23 PM   #21
Citizen of Bizarro World

I'm usually repelled at first mention of a node based fpa, but there are several things I found interesting about this game, thanks to the review:

It seems basically structured to play like and actionless RPG--IQ points sound very similar to experience points--a certain amount of experience is required to advance the character and his story, as is the case here.

Also, the inventory system reminds me of RPGs--the items you need can be acquired by different means, including bought. Furthermore, some items provide you with "abilities" which sound very much like your average magical trinkets that an RPG character hauls around.

Would you classify this game as a blend of genres? Best of both worlds kind of thing?
Under land of no free! Am us home coward-leeee!

~Excerpt from the Bizarro Anthem
Old 09-14-2005, 02:08 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mares
Would you classify this game as a blend of genres? Best of both worlds kind of thing?
if we say yes, would you try it?
Old 09-14-2005, 02:34 PM   #23
fov
Rattenmonster

If I remember correctly, the first time I saw a Voyage demo (at GDC earlier this year), I asked about this and was told that one of the lead designers used to work on RPGs. So, I don't think it's a coincidence.

Quote:
I'm usually repelled at first mention of a node based fpa
As am I, which makes the fact that I, of all people, gave the game 4 stars even more meaningful.
Old 09-14-2005, 03:52 PM   #24
capsized.

Hmkay. Make that: Julverne. Puzzles. Alien landscapes. Liked by Californian girls who normally won't touch node based first person puzzlers with a ten foot pole. Okay, my little aliens: Count me in!
Old 09-14-2005, 04:10 PM   #25
Elegantly copy+pasted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackal
I'm surprised this game isn't generating more chatter. RMI seemed pretty popular on these boards, and Voyage offers much of the same - only different.
Although I've heard good things about the game, a lot of things tend to repel me from it. I don't like the title at all, and that always provides an easy excuse when I see the name in a thread title. I don't generally like first person adventures, especially if they're short on plot and characterisation. The Moon books are some of my least favorite Verne novels. And the whole alien landscape thing sounds like an annoying premise for a game, I keep thinking of CS Lewis' regrettable 'Out of the Silent Planet' books.

As I said, I realize that the game is apparently good. But my gut instinct keeps telling me it is not.
Old 09-14-2005, 04:18 PM   #26
fov
Rattenmonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snarky
I don't like the title at all, and that always provides an easy excuse when I see the name in a thread title.
Keep in mind that the title was decided on by the publisher, not the developer. It could have been BANDAID or BANANA or something equally ridiculous.

Still, no one's going to force you to go against your gut. I'm avoiding playing Nibiru for similar reasons that you're avoiding Voyage. But maybe someday you'll end up with the game in a trade or see it for cheap in a bargain bin and be pleasantly surprised.
Old 09-15-2005, 12:11 AM   #27

Quote:
Are you actually waiting for a French language version to be released, or is the English version simply not out in France yet? Why not just order it over Ebay, or something?
I don't buy online, so I have to wait until it's out in stores, but in any case the french version sounded good, so there's no reason why I wouldn't wait a few weeks. Except for impatience, of course, but I'm playing Guid Wars these days, so I don't really have time to get impatient.
Old 09-15-2005, 01:45 AM   #28

By the way, I've just read that Kheops had 2 new adventure games in preparation.