You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-29-2005, 01:09 PM   #1
merely human

Default Silence of the Lambs reference?

David, I know the Q&A is over, but I hope you can answer one more question on behalf of Glenn Epic, who is a staff member here but could not attend because he's in Australia and is this event took place late at night (he had to be in bed, needed to get up early for work):

"[In the mental hospital level] There is an African-American guard whose name is Barney. He says "Don't worry, you'll do fine." He points to the camera feeds and says, "I'll be watching you."

That scene is straight out of Silence of the Lambs. What other films did you draw inspiration from? Perhapse there are other, more subtle, referrences in the game that I did not pick up on?"

Thanks.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 09-29-2005, 01:18 PM   #2

Please congratulate Glenn, because he is the first one to notice the hommage to Silence of the Lambs in this scene ;-)

There is of course the camera shot under the shower, inspired by Hitchcock's Psycho.

I think that's it.
Old 09-29-2005, 01:21 PM   #3
merely human

Actually I noticed the Lambs reference, too. (I adored that movie and Hannibal as well).
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 09-30-2005, 03:59 PM   #4

Yeah, I noticed it immediately as well (Silence is one of my favorite movies). Also, the orderlies name, Barney, is the same as in the movie. So Glenn isn't the first to notice it, just the first to ask about it.
Old 10-01-2005, 08:57 AM   #5
OUATIJ Creator

Maybe I should play this game soon and see what I notice.
Old 10-01-2005, 11:29 AM   #6

Well it's funny you mention it, because the moment I saw the afro-american doctor/guard in an insane asylum I tought "silence of the lambs", and I actually laughed when he was introduced as Barney.
Old 10-05-2005, 11:24 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stroggy
Well it's funny you mention it, because the moment I saw the afro-american doctor/guard in an insane asylum I tought "silence of the lambs", and I actually laughed when he was introduced as Barney.
Don't mean to jump on the bandwagon, but I did the exact same thing. The situation looked familar and he introduced himself as barney and I couldn't help but laugh.