You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Archived Developer Chats Fahrenheit Chat What do you think, is this motivate the Sony that release more adventure for PS2?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-29-2005, 09:54 AM   #1
AdventureGames.hu

Send a message via MSN to Tomsess
Default What do you think, is this motivate the Sony that release more adventure for PS2?

3.,What do you think, is this motivate the Sony that release more adventure for PS2?
Old 09-29-2005, 10:18 AM   #2

I definitely hope so. All this industry was thinking that adventure was just a niche market for a bunch of hardcore gamers, and that interactive storytelling would never sell, and certainly not on consoles.

I hope that Indigo Prophecy will prove them wrong, and that publishers will open the doors to other titles in this category.

Sony US was extremely dubious when we first told them about the concept, but when they could play it, they gave us approval with a comment saying that this game could create its own market. Hearing this kind of things from Sony really means something for me...
Old 09-29-2005, 10:25 AM   #3
Mrs. Bear

Send a message via AIM to natalia

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Cage
I definitely hope so. All this industry was thinking that adventure was just a niche market for a bunch of hardcore gamers, and that interactive storytelling would never sell, and certainly not on consoles.

I hope that Indigo Prophecy will prove them wrong, and that publishers will open the doors to other titles in this category.

Sony US was extremely dubious when we first told them about the concept, but when they could play it, they gave us approval with a comment saying that this game could create its own market. Hearing this kind of things from Sony really means something for me...
Hi David,

I'm a new adventure gamer, definitely not hardcore. I'm eagerly awaiting my PS2 version of Indigo Prophecy, and I'm glad Sony took a chance on your game.

Not that I want to speak for anybody -- but I think my demographic, people (women in my case) in their late 20s early 30s who grew up with video games around them, but weren't hardcore gamers, who are interested in well-told stories. Because of my exposure to video games, the ability to interact with well-crafted stories holds that much more excitement for me. Thanks for the work you're doing in this exciting area!
Old 09-29-2005, 11:10 AM   #4
merely human

Quote:
I think this is definitely one proof that you must make them see hands on. But the beef is that it has to take a gutsy game like Indigo Prophecy to make them see. I honestly can't picture Sony or even Microsoft being interested in more 'typical' adventures when a new, exciting take on story driven games like yours are more likely to draw attention.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 09-29-2005, 12:35 PM   #5

Natalia, you were my main target when I designed Indigo Prophecy. I really wondered why I could share interest with women for the same movies or books, but not for video games. The answer is that women are not entertained by pure violence or driving, they need something more sophisticated.

I am convinced that they can have a lot of interest in interactivity if this industry is able to design products for a clever audience rather than focusing on kids. Women will also open up the market and give us access to a wider audience.

So I hope that you will enjoy the game.
Old 09-29-2005, 12:40 PM   #6
fov
Rattenmonster

Quote:
Natalia, you were my main target when I designed Indigo Prophecy.
Very cool. (I'm in the same demographic.)
Old 09-29-2005, 12:42 PM   #7
Mrs. Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov
Very cool. (I'm in the same demographic.)
Hee! Emily, I was going to say there are a quite a few women on the AG forums in that demographic.

And thanks for the response, David. It's fantastic to hear that game developers haven't forgotten us as a gaming market. I'm really looking forward to your future work.
Old 09-29-2005, 12:47 PM   #8
merely human

Hey, I'm also in the same demographic!!

Except I'm not a woman.

But hey! I'm sensitive like a woman.

Except I'm a gay man.

Who cares?! Women love me anyway!!
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 09-29-2005, 12:51 PM   #9
Mrs. Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
Hey, I'm also in the same demographic!!

Except I'm not a woman.

But hey! I'm sensitive like a woman.

Except I'm a gay man.

Who cares?! Women love me anyway!!
I'm still getting to know you Intrepid, but I love you (and your wonderful posts) anyway! I was thinking I conflated some of that demographic stuff in my post, women and people our age, so it may not have come out that clearly.
Old 09-29-2005, 12:58 PM   #10
merely human

It did come out clearly, yes! But if you'd let me, I want to add that our generation (late 20s to late 30s, etc.) that grew up with Pong and Pacman now want far more substance in our games - more emotional involvement, more sophisticated ways of experiencing narrative. This is exactly what Warren Spector stated when he was interviewed about Deus Ex five years ago. We are a very sophisticated, savvy demographic and we demand that our level of intelligence be met in the games we play.
Old 09-29-2005, 01:06 PM   #11
Mrs. Bear

Quote:
It did come out clearly, yes! But if you'd let me, I want to add that our generation (late 20s to late 30s, etc.) that grew up with Pong and Pacman now want far more substance in our games - more emotional involvement, more sophisticated ways of experiencing narrative. This is exactly what Warren Spector stated when he was interviewed about Deus Ex five years ago. We are a very sophisticated, savvy demographic and we demand that our level of intelligence be met in the games we play.
Exactly! I think politicians and such get hung up on the term "gaming" and can't really see the experience for what it is. As the technology and industry evolves, I see gaming as another medium (like music, movies, TV, books) for art and entertainment.
Old 09-29-2005, 01:19 PM   #12
capsized.

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalia
As the technology and industry evolves, I see gaming as another medium (like music, movies, TV, books) for art and entertainment.
Yes. That won't happen with the massive amount and "Me, too" games on the market now, though (some adventure games included).
Old 09-29-2005, 01:20 PM   #13
merely human

Unfortunately games and gaming are going to have to go through the same generational mill that certain kinds of music, television, hell even books, had to go through.
Old 09-29-2005, 01:36 PM   #14
capsized.

Mh, yes, good point. I don't think that this alone will do the cut, though. There needs to be some real content. Orcish fairytales, cookie cutter mysteries and aliens from outer space just aren't enough. Games like Silent Hill 2 are just the beginning.
Old 09-29-2005, 01:40 PM   #15
merely human

Ironically much of the games industry itself is f#&%ing it up more than it is. They're interested in nothing but making millions of dollars, never mind the content or quality. It's adding to the stigma and the media are totally eating it up to feed their own profitable agenda.
Old 09-29-2005, 01:45 PM   #16
Staff Member

Interpid, didn't know you wrote the Cold Hotspot till a few minutes ago. Nice work, man. You referenced a game called something like "8; a fairy tale for grown-ups" but I couldn't find it on google. Any more info up your sleeve? Also, do you know when adventure developers are gonna get some new articles? I offered to do reviews and submitted one, but they haven't wrote back (except to say thanks, methinks) and haven't put any reviews at all up on the site. Might write another article if I get some inspiration...
Old 09-29-2005, 01:46 PM   #17
capsized.

Yes, that's a really vicious cycle, isn't it? Someone has to prove all the big players in this industry wrong. Terribly wrong. That games aren't just kid's stuff, but can be so much more... And still sell (money seems to be the only language those guys speak..)!
Old 09-29-2005, 01:55 PM   #18
Staff Member

The irony that p***es me off the most is that AGs always get panned for being stagnant; but look at FPS; with a few exceptions, eg. Deus Ex, Half Life 2, it's the same game (Doom) but with better graphics. And stealth sections, if the developers are trying to be original. I doubt anyone played Doom 3, but I gave up halfway through; it had amazing graphics, was really scary, even tried to focus on story (I kid ye not) but at the end of the day, it was a dull game, in the same way Moment of Silence got dull for me, despite it's merits.
Old 09-29-2005, 02:46 PM   #19
furryyellowthing

Send a message via Yahoo to BoyToy

Quote:
Unfortunately games and gaming are going to have to go through the same generational mill that certain kinds of music, television, hell even books, had to go through.
True! The first book ever really sucked and is full of plot-holes!
Old 09-29-2005, 02:51 PM   #20
furryyellowthing

Send a message via Yahoo to BoyToy

Quote:
We are a very sophisticated, savvy demographic and we demand that our level of intelligence be met [...]
Yeah, we are, as is clearly shown by our choice of avatar pictures!