You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Archived Developer Chats Fahrenheit Chat The Aztec Aspect: Research [Spoilers]

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-29-2005, 08:57 AM   #1
Feind der Anonymitaet!

Send a message via ICQ to pinkgothic Send a message via AIM to pinkgothic Send a message via Yahoo to pinkgothic
Default The Aztec Aspect: Research [Spoilers]

Well, it may not be that much of a question; but in Fahrenheit, to what lengths did you go to research into the Mayan/Aztec/andsoforth cultures? I have great interest in these cultures, but each time I try to research, I tend to get stuck with little else but their deities and fin. The lifestyle is a bit amiss from the face of researchability. And even complete deity listings are confusing to obtain.

So, given that, forgive me for already slightly assuming this, but did you give up at any point? Or did you, from the beginning onwards, already have it planned that you would make up things?

Which brings me to the second part of the question - interest or not, my knowledge is pretty thin. Where did you draw the line? Was anything of the culture made up, or have I simply not heard of those aspects before?

I think (and am very sure of this, actually, but confirmation is always nice) the two-headed serpent is made up, aswell as the respective rituals associated with it. Am I right about that?
Winner of the Second-Best-Dressed and Non-Specific awards in the Unbiased Impostor Awardsâ„¢, amongst many others.

Non-Conformist to Non-Conformismâ„¢
Internet Explodifierâ„¢ - the best weapon of mass destruction!!!11one
Trademark Overuserâ„¢

Last edited by pinkgothic; 09-29-2005 at 09:40 AM. Reason: Title changed for clarity - I hope it's not too much of a spoiler now
Old 09-29-2005, 01:09 PM   #2

I had a lot of interest in the Mayan culture and I visited many museums, including in New York and in Venice five years ago with some unique pieces that really inspired me.

Yes, Quechnitlan and the two-headed serpents are invented, but still inspired by real mayan visuals and rituals.
Old 09-29-2005, 01:16 PM   #3

Cette partie du jeu m'a rappelé un autre jeu d'aventure où la culture aztèque était aussi utilisé de manière mystique : Sanitarium. Connaissez-vous ce point & click ?
Old 09-29-2005, 01:16 PM   #4
Feind der Anonymitaet!

Send a message via ICQ to pinkgothic Send a message via AIM to pinkgothic Send a message via Yahoo to pinkgothic

Wow! Thank you for still answering my question, David That's very generous of you. You've been here how long now past your originally scheduled deadline? Really: thank you very much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Cage
Yes, Quechnitlan and the two-headed serpents are invented, but still inspired by real mayan visuals and rituals.
Well, you did an awesome job at creating it - it fit into the rest of what I know of the mesoamerican cultures wonderfully and it felt very, very real. My scepticism about it being made up alone should show that, I guess It was believable enough to make me doubt it was made up! Great job. *lifts hat and bows*

Edit: You really don't have to answer this (you've been answering questions all day!), but it just occured to me I never asked... does "Quechnitlan" mean anything? I've got means of checking a Nahuatl dictionary, and found no real english translation - am I looking in the wrong spot, or is there really no meaning, and it just yet again sounds incredibly convincing?
Winner of the Second-Best-Dressed and Non-Specific awards in the Unbiased Impostor Awardsâ„¢, amongst many others.

Trademark Overuserâ„¢
Old 09-29-2005, 01:20 PM   #5
Feind der Anonymitaet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomma
Cette partie du jeu m'a rappelé un autre jeu d'aventure où la culture aztèque était aussi utilisé de manière mystique : Sanitarium. Connaissez-vous ce point & click ?
Did I understand that correctly - Sanitarium has Aztec/mesoamerican elements? *marks down on list* Must. Get.

Trademark Overuserâ„¢
Old 09-29-2005, 01:20 PM   #6

Thank you very much.

The name Quechnitlan does not exist. I invented it for the game.
Old 09-29-2005, 01:33 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkgothic
Did I understand that correctly - Sanitarium has Aztec/mesoamerican elements? *marks down on list* Must. Get.
Oui. Sans dévoiler l'intrigue principale, le personnage principal (amnésique) traverse des zones de sa mémoire et le chapitre "aztèque" représente une étape de sa reconstruction. Le scénario très troublant est tourné vers le héros, son introspection, etc. La réalité et l'imaginaire se confondent parfois. Un autre jeu bouleversant !
Old 09-29-2005, 01:43 PM   #8
Feind der Anonymitaet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Cage
The name Quechnitlan does not exist. I invented it for the game.
According to this, quech- means neck, and -nitla- generally seems to be associated with "I do" (though I might be wrong on that one), in case you're interested in the coincidential etymology of your fictional name I find the first aspect (quech/neck) to be oddly fitting for a deity that is, in essence, all neck.

Trademark Overuserâ„¢
Old 09-29-2005, 02:16 PM   #9

I agree, Sanitarium is one of the best adventure games I ever played. But the Mayan/Aztec component, though present, isn't its main theme.