You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-29-2005, 08:40 AM   #1
Elegantly copy+pasted

Default Beyond Fahrenheit

Welcome, and thank you for giving us a chance to ask you questions and chat.

Now that you've finished the game, it's released and you're starting to get feedback from many, many players, are you starting to draw lessons from the game? What, in your opinion, worked, and which bits didn't work as well as you hoped? How will you take these ideas further in your next game? What tweaks do you think could make them work better?

One of the big differences between Fahrenheit and traditional adventure games is the lack of real puzzles in the game. Do you think a hybrid of Fahrenheit's storytelling techniques with more challenging puzzles (whether inventory based, conversation based, environment based or what have you) would work? Or would this destroy the appeal of the game?

Have you seen the PR for the Nintendo Revolution controller? Do you think the Fahrenheit PAR interface (or something similar) would work well on the platform?

Congratulations on a cool game, and on the success you're having with it. I'm looking forward to your next one!
Old 09-29-2005, 01:31 PM   #2

This is the kind of questions that would require a very long answer...

Yes, we are learning a lot from the feedback we get about the game. When you work on a title for two years, you need to have other people's opinion.

What worked :
- playing with the story,
- the fluid narrative,
- the innovative action interface,
- the characterization.
- MoCap and directing,
- Acting in general (at least in english),
- Multiple Characters and MultiView,
- 75% of the story.

What will have to be improved :
- the camera system,
- the PAR system for action sequences (interesting idea, but we will try something different next time),
- Decisions should have even more impact on the story,
- the last 25% of the story. Now that the format is accepted, we will probably go for a more personal story next time.

The main lesson is that adventure and innovation can sell.

I don't think I will reinject traditional puzzles in the experience, but I will definitely try to find to solutions and expand the possibilities. I have the feeling that I have just explored 10% of what was possible with this concept.

I have seen the new Nintendo controller. It is definitely something very interesting that would work perfectly within Fahrenheit.
Old 09-29-2005, 02:41 PM   #3
Elegantly copy+pasted

Wow, thanks for replying, and even after the four hours were up! I thought for sure this one had been overlooked. Very cool, man!

Oh, damn! I forgot to ask: What's up with all the dancing? For a game about ritual sacrifices and the end of the world, there sure is a whole lot of shakin' going on.

I guess you just like dancing.
Old 10-07-2005, 07:22 PM   #4

I can't seem to create a new thread, so I will write my question here since it's very alike the one up here (BTW, I think I had an account in these forums, but I can't remember. Anyway...)

Hello all. I just wanted to ask this: You (David) have said things like "The adventures are... dead", and talked about the old LucasArts adventures. You also said that the genre needed some innovation, and that innovation is Fahrenheit.
The question: if you think that the genre needs some innovation, why do you make a game that's not a graphic adventure? I mean, the adventures are, by definition, a type of game in which you progress thanks to logical solutions to given problems.
Fahrenheit doesn't have this. The only problems in the game are the arcade sequences. From my point of view, if Fahrenheit is an adventure, then Super Mario Worlds is one too.

Thanks.
Old 10-08-2005, 01:46 AM   #5
• Legendary Adventurer •

I have to say (and I hate to say) that, after finishing the game, I felt exactly like Radiobuzz...
I didn't feel fahrenheit was a graphic adventure, there were parts where you have to think, but in most of the situations you only needed to be quick, and when it was time to really solve a puzzle the dificulty was very low...At least for most AG players...
Fahrenheit system is made for the people who get bored by having to think every time and in every situation, and that is what I didn't like, I think that the game would have been a lot more better without that system...It would have been great to make it more dynamic by using more the real time decissions (like the first one in the coffee shop) and instead of using the "touch the key fast" system for having a clue in the conversations, maybe we can have them by giving the right answer...

Thank you for this great game...and..

Thank you for this opportunity..(and excuse my english)

Last edited by ikari; 10-08-2005 at 07:42 PM.