You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-22-2005, 12:11 PM   #1
Feind der Anonymitaet!

Send a message via ICQ to pinkgothic Send a message via AIM to pinkgothic Send a message via Yahoo to pinkgothic
Default DRM-WMA to MP3?

Does anyone know how I can rip DMR WMA formats into MP3? Before the question arises, yes, I have the license. If you know a way that does not involve burning the tracks to a CD (I have no CD burner!), downloading iTunes (I have Win 98 SE!), or using Daemon Tools (tried it once, got my computer crashing on exit each time, so I killed it, and would like to avoid downloading it again ), but feel uncomfortable posting it here (which I'd more than understand), please send me a PM

Edit: I can play WMA, by the way, I just can't play them in my standard program, Apollo, my Apollo, despite having a WMA plug-in, does not like WMAs.
Winner of the Second-Best-Dressed and Non-Specific awards in the Unbiased Impostor Awardsâ„¢, amongst many others.

Non-Conformist to Non-Conformismâ„¢
Internet Explodifierâ„¢ - the best weapon of mass destruction!!!11one
Trademark Overuserâ„¢
Old 08-22-2005, 12:18 PM   #2
The Dartmaster

Send a message via ICQ to Jake Send a message via MSN to Jake Send a message via Yahoo to Jake

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkgothic
Does anyone know how I can rip DMR WMA formats into MP3? Before the question arises, yes, I have the license. If you know a way that does not involve burning the tracks to a CD (I have no CD burner!), downloading iTunes (I have Win 98 SE!), or using Daemon Tools (tried it once, got my computer crashing on exit each time, so I killed it, and would like to avoid downloading it again ), but feel uncomfortable posting it here (which I'd more than understand), please send me a PM

Edit: I can play WMA, by the way, I just can't play them in my standard program, Apollo, my Apollo, despite having a WMA plug-in, does not like WMAs.
There are a zillion conversion plugins for Winamp, so you might look into that. They're ridiculously awkward to use, but might get the job done.

"I was one of the original lovers." - Evan Dickens
Old 08-22-2005, 12:20 PM   #3
Feind der Anonymitaet!

Send a message via ICQ to pinkgothic Send a message via AIM to pinkgothic Send a message via Yahoo to pinkgothic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake
There are a zillion conversion plugins for Winamp, so you might look into that. They're ridiculously awkward to use, but might get the job done.
Thanks for the quick response, Jake! I might have to look into that, then. But not now. I've already spent way too much time (a good hour) looking for a means to do this - I'm supposed to be learning for an exam tomorrow. *grumblemutter*
Winner of the Second-Best-Dressed and Non-Specific awards in the Unbiased Impostor Awardsâ„¢, amongst many others.

Trademark Overuserâ„¢
Old 08-22-2005, 12:34 PM   #4

Ah, yes, the Evil that is WMA.

If you can decode them to WAV somehow, you can encode them back to MP3 with WinLame, which is free, legal, and easy to use.

http://winlame.sourceforge.net/
Old 08-22-2005, 12:36 PM   #5
Feind der Anonymitaet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilMulder
If you can decode them to WAV somehow,
Decoding in general is the problem. I can convert from nearly any unencoded audio format to mp3 with a program I have here, so that bit really isn't the problem But thanks anyway.

Trademark Overuserâ„¢
Old 08-22-2005, 12:54 PM   #6

A quick search brought up this freeware program:
http://cdexos.sourceforge.net/features.php

A look through the 'Convert' menu shows commands like:
"Re-encode Compressed Audio File(s)"
"Convert WAV file(s) to Compressed Audio file(s)"
"Convert Compressed Audio File(s) to WAV file(s)"

I hope this helps. It's just that I've got me myself a couple of WMA files I want to get rid of, so don't you start thinking I'm a nice person or things like that.
Old 08-22-2005, 12:59 PM   #7
Aj_
Beyond Belief

There are a few pieces of software that claim to be able to decrypt WMA but I'm not sure if they work, so I recommend audio capture from a place where the audio isn't in an encrypted format.
Old 08-22-2005, 11:28 PM   #8
Feind der Anonymitaet!

Quote:
A quick search brought up this freeware program:
http://cdexos.sourceforge.net/features.php
I use CDex It doesn't have the feature I'm looking for - sorry! But thanks for trying.

Quote:
I hope this helps. It's just that I've got me myself a couple of WMA files I want to get rid of, so don't you start thinking I'm a nice person or things like that.

Trademark Overuserâ„¢
Old 08-23-2005, 02:51 AM   #9
gin soaked boy

Well, my naughty little girl, what do I see here? You know that unauthorized modifying of files is technically still a breach of copyright, no matter if you have a license or not? It's funny how things turn out

Enough with teasing, you can try your luck with a little program called Freeme. Sometimes it works, but more often then not it doesn't as DRM technology's been updated since then. Good luck.
Old 08-23-2005, 03:35 AM   #10
Feind der Anonymitaet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by insane_cobra
Well, my naughty little girl, what do I see here? You know that unauthorized modifying of files is technically still a breach of copyright, no matter if you have a license or not? It's funny how things turn out
You forget I do breach copyright. Often. I'm just for it being illegal Remember the fine difference?

Enough with the teasing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by insane_cobra
I'll check it out

Trademark Overuserâ„¢