You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat What do you think of this new man...

View Poll Results: Lo
ve it. 1 6.67%
athe it. 8 53.33%
and behold, I don't care. 6 40.00%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-22-2005, 10:52 PM   #21
Banned User

I don't get this whole pie............................................... .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ......................................thing.
Old 08-22-2005, 11:20 PM   #22
Ale! And keep 'em coming!

Quote:
Originally Posted by temporaryscars
I don't get this whole pie............................................... .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ......................................thing.

Let me explain. There is no such thing as pie in Germany.

-

>>>Inventor of the Mail order-Assassin<<<

And *This*...is a Black Hole - BYE!
Old 08-22-2005, 11:20 PM   #23
Bad Influence

Send a message via Yahoo to Sage

I don't get the "pie" thing either. I'm not sure if "pie" is a euphemism, or if it refers to actual, literal, fruit-filled pie, and I'm kind of afraid to ask.
Maybe I can approach this sideways...
So Jazhara, what kind of pie did you finally eat?

ScottMate

Share the love.

<3
Old 08-22-2005, 11:22 PM   #24

Blackberry-and-Apple Pie.

Sadly it was only Muffin sized, and my sister didn't think of bringing any more from Scotland. Or maybe she did, but ate it all herself in the end.

-

Old 08-22-2005, 11:29 PM   #25
Magic Wand Waver

Send a message via MSN to Fairygdmther

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrift Store Scott
I don't get the "pie" thing either. I'm not sure if "pie" is a euphemism, or if it refers to actual, literal, fruit-filled pie, and I'm kind of afraid to ask.
Maybe I can approach this sideways...
So Jazhara, what kind of pie did you finally eat?

ScottMate
Scott, I guess you missed the pie vs. cookie thing a while back - I think cookies won in the poll, but during that, Jaz mentioned she hadn't ever eaten a pie, so there was a fund set up (in jest) to send Jaz a pie.

Lynsie
Old 08-22-2005, 11:46 PM   #26
Bad Influence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazhara7
Blackberry-and-Apple Pie.
Oh-thank-God. That's an interesting combination, and it must have been quite tart, unless Scottish blackberries are different from the ones that grow wild around here.
The Pie Primer:
Novice: Apple or blueberry are probably the best and most-common pies. It's hard to find someone who doesn't like one or the other of these.
Intermediate: Cream and icebox pies (coconut, lemon, chocolate...all very sweet and covered in meringue), sweet potato (a little spicy, and like Volvos- ugly but good), and cherry (usually very tart, and best with ice cream on top).
Master: Blackberry (very tart and full of seeds), pumpkin (like sweet potato, but slimier), Key lime (so tart it will bring tears to your eyes), pecan (sickeningly sweet unless it's prepared just right), and French Silk (dark semi-sweet chocolate...not for everyone).
If you can find them, the Mrs. Smith's "heat & eat" or "bake-n-serve" pies aren't bad, and they're a lot less trouble than home-made.

Quote:
Sadly it was only Muffin sized, and my sister didn't think of bringing any more from Scotland. Or maybe she did, but ate it all herself in the end.

-
Sisters can be like that sometimes.

ScottMate

Share the love.

<3
Old 08-22-2005, 11:51 PM   #27
Epinionated.

If you want real pie, come to England and go to York. There's a resteraunt there (if I remember rightly, could be another place with a Cathedral) that serves English pies only, and they're reet proper.

You aint lived until you've had proper Steak and Kidney pie.
Old 08-22-2005, 11:58 PM   #28

Quote:
Oh-thank-God. That's an interesting combination, and it must have been quite tart, unless Scottish blackberries are different from the ones that grow wild around here.
The Pie Primer:
Novice: Apple or blueberry are probably the best and most-common pies. It's hard to find someone who doesn't like one or the other of these.
Intermediate: Cream and icebox pies (coconut, lemon, chocolate...all very sweet and covered in meringue), sweet potato (a little spicy, and like Volvos- ugly but good), and cherry (usually very tart, and best with ice cream on top).
Master: Blackberry (very tart and full of seeds), pumpkin (like sweet potato, but slimier), Key lime (so tart it will bring tears to your eyes), pecan (sickeningly sweet unless it's prepared just right), and French Silk (dark semi-sweet chocolate...not for everyone).
If you can find them, the Mrs. Smith's "heat & eat" or "bake-n-serve" pies aren't bad, and they're a lot less trouble than home-made.

ScottMate
Was that a good [i]"Oh-thank-God"[i] or a bad "Oh-thank-God"?

I really liked the taste of it. I don't really like things that are too sweet (I can't eat chocolate bars in the US. They are *much* too sweet. Even KitKat!). The box of the pies said blackberry and apple, but I don't really remember there being too many seeds. Then again, I really love Gooseberry pudding, which I think also can have a lot of seeds in it (You see, I only ever ate it once. My grandmother made it back then. Now she's dead, and I don't know where the recipe is. I think the Gooseberry bush might be dead too, after the barn burned and firemen ran through our garden.)

Mmmmh...Does that mean I'm a Pie-master now?

My said: "Putting food inside other food? I really like the sound of that."

I agree with her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by squarejawhero
If you want real pie, come to England and go to York. There's a resteraunt there (if I remember rightly, could be another place with a Cathedral) that serves English pies only, and they're reet proper.

Steak and Kidney pie? Um...I *might* be able to imagine Steak pie, but I won't touch Kidneys. Never did. Never will.

-

Old 08-22-2005, 11:59 PM   #29
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by squarejawhero
I don't do kidney. I'd rather be dead.

But I adore shepherd's pie, and big R made me a bacon & egg pie (a New Zealand pie) and I liked it.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 08-23-2005, 12:13 AM   #30
Magic Wand Waver

Quote:
The Pie Primer:

ScottMate
Wow! What a difference in pies you chose from what i would choose, growin up in Boston.

My pie primer:

Novice:
2 crusted apple pie, apple crunch pie, lemon meringue pie, chocolate cream pie, butterscotch cream pie, peach pie, ice cream pies
Intermediate:
Strawberry-Rhubarb Pie (tart and sweet), Pecan Pie (agree with you - sickeningly sweet), Squash and/or Pumpkin Pie (similar-spicy pies), Mince meat pie, Blueberry, Blackberry, Strawberry, Raspberry, Cherry (sweet or tart according to how they are made)
Master:
Key Lime (shouldn't be that tart - key limes are not as tart as regular, and are much smaller), Favorite fruit plus cheesecake pie, Ricotta pie (mildly sweet, and very heavy), Pear-Raspberry Tart, Chocolate or Mocha Mousse pie, French silk pie, Peach-Plum tart

Lynsie
Old 08-23-2005, 12:27 AM   #31
Bad Influence

Quote:
Was that a good "Oh-thank-God" or a bad "Oh-thank-God"?
It was a good "Oh-thank-God".

Quote:
I really liked the taste of it. I don't really like things that are too sweet (I can't eat chocolate bars in the US. They are *much* too sweet. Even KitKat!).
I'm the same way! M&Ms and Hershey's Special Dark are the only chocolate candies I like. In my opinion, American milk chocolate is far, far too sweet.
Quote:
The box of the pies said blackberry and apple, but I don't really remember there being too many seeds.
Hmmm...Scottish blackberries must be different from American ones, then. Last year, our local blackberries were huge, plump, and beautiful, but intolerably bitter. This year they were kind of small and a little shrivelled, but exceptionally sweet.
Quote:
Then again, I really love Gooseberry pudding, which I think also can have a lot of seeds in it (You see, I only ever ate it once. My grandmother made it back then. Now she's dead, and I don't know where the recipe is. I think the Gooseberry bush might be dead too, after the barn burned and firemen ran through our garden.)
It's too hot for gooseberries to grow here, but I've seen them in cans at the grocery store. I might try some. Since they look like white grapes (which I hate), I've never felt the need to try them before.

Quote:
Mmmmh...Does that mean I'm a Pie-master now?
You're definately on your way.

Quote:
My said: "Putting food inside other food? I really like the sound of that."

I agree with her.
As do I. Very few things in this world can't be improved by wrapping them in a flaky pastry crust.
Quote:
-
ScottMate

Share the love.

<3
Old 08-23-2005, 12:38 AM   #32
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottspie
Very few things in this world can't be improved by wrapping them in a flaky pastry crust.
<tries to imagine Scottspie in a flaky pastry crust....but....just....can't....>

platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 08-23-2005, 12:44 AM   #33
Magic Wand Waver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
<tries to imagine Scottspie in a flaky pastry crust....but....just....can't....>

Well, he's flaky enough, but I think he's too sweet!

Lynsie
Old 08-23-2005, 01:01 AM   #34
Banned User

Quote:
Let me explain. There is no such thing as pie in Germany.

-
That's odd. I remember my great grandmother, who was straight off the boat German, making at least 4 pies a week. Are you sureee there's no such thing?
Old 08-23-2005, 01:09 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by temporaryscars
That's odd. I remember my great grandmother, who was straight off the boat German, making at least 4 pies a week. Are you sureee there's no such thing?

Yes, absolutely sure.

-

Old 08-23-2005, 01:15 AM   #36
Banned User

Quote:
Yes, absolutely sure.

-
Hmm...must have been something she picked up.
Old 08-23-2005, 01:35 AM   #37
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairygdmther
Well, he's flaky enough, but I think he's too sweet!

Lynsie
Could've sworn he was quite tarty recently.

Old 08-23-2005, 02:04 AM   #38
Banned User

The back of that dudes head shall set you free.
Old 08-23-2005, 02:32 AM   #39
Epinionated.

You guys will never be piemasters until you've headed North in the UK and sampled some true savoury delights. All this namby-pamby sweet stuff has nothing on proper UK pies. Mmm... chicken and asparagus...
Old 08-23-2005, 02:35 AM   #40
merely human

You Brits will never have your cuisine taken seriously until you find some way to not make them yawningly bland. Yech, all that meat and starch....