You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

View Poll Results: Are you happy?
Yes 23 41.07%
No 11 19.64%
A little 12 21.43%
I don't know 10 17.86%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-14-2005, 02:29 PM   #21
Bad Influence

Send a message via Yahoo to Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkgothic
*pout*

*briefly remembers Sulley's "I am old enough to be your father" and tears out her hair as she starts a general rant* Why, oh why, is it that age makes so much of a bloody difference? Looks don't matter, ethnics don't matter, nationality doesn't matter, most of the time opinions don't matter too much, either, people always say it's the personality, but age is the one topic where everyone suddenly finds an excuse to distance themselves.

Bah.
Eep. I seem to have touched a nerve there.
Okay...the next time I'm in Germany, I expect you to be ready to go out for dinner and a movie with me, or whatever else strikes your fancy (except for dancing, of course! )

Quote:
*proudly snuggles her age-less loves (though for those that must know, 34, 21 [me], 28, 25, and I've wanted a couple of 40+ boyfriends, though that didn't work out - in hopes that doesn't count as "too much information")*
An open mind is no bad thing, especially where matters of the heart are concerned.

Quote:
Though, in the end, I do realise there's the whole "the bigger the age difference, the more likely it is one of those in the relationship will have to spend a lot of time without the other", and that sucks, so I'm not entirely without understanding. But given I'm the youngest of the lot, and younger than most people I've ever asked out, it's amazing they'd be voicing it as an argument.

Now that I'm done mindlessly ranting...

Thank you, Scott. I am, in fact, deeply flattered, even if for a moment my urge to rant was a bit bigger than my urge to blush. Please excuse my abusing your statement to make such a general rant.
Fraulein, you are most deeply welcome and no offense was taken by your rant. In fact, it reminded me that I had just done the thing that used to irritate me most some years ago. A good wake-up call is no bad thing, either.

ScottMate

Share the love.

<3
Old 08-14-2005, 02:46 PM   #22
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkgothic
*pout*

*briefly remembers Sulley's "I am old enough to be your father" and tears out her hair as she starts a general rant* Why, oh why, is it that age makes so much of a bloody difference? Looks don't matter, ethnics don't matter, nationality doesn't matter, most of the time opinions don't matter too much, either, people always say it's the personality, but age is the one topic where everyone suddenly finds an excuse to distance themselves.
I personally don't give a damn about age differences, though I most likely wouldn't find an average 21-year-old as interesting as a 41-year-old. As I told big R a while back, it's not age that intrigues and draws me, it's character. I can barely take care of myself, so being with a 21-year-old (with due respect to their maturity at that age) would feel too much like babysitting. I'd rather have someone more seasoned and experienced, and it just happens that many older men ARE seasoned and experienced (lived more, loved more, etc. more). BUT, perchance I meet someone in his 20s who is so unique and follows his own path and is not afraid to FEEL life beyond merely following its outline, I would love to have an affair with him - even if it's just a platonic one.

As far as multiple romances, why not? If both all parties involved understand it with the wisdom that total possession is not expected, it can definitely be an incredible experience. But it could also drain you emotionally, I think only very, very few people can actually sustain this kind of experience. Elvis Presley's lovers had only great things to remember him by (aside from his irresolute self-destructiveness, he was thought of as an incredible lover by the women lucky enough to have been with him), there was no possessiveness. But as I said, only very few can actually carry this off.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 08-14-2005, 02:51 PM   #23
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider Crusoe
I've got a new avatar for him when he returns.

Boysie, you beeyatch!! Get yer sweet cartoon character German ass back here so I can start drooling again!!
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 08-14-2005, 03:20 PM   #24
capsized.

Need a shaving (is it full moon again?). Need to delete some old photos from my disk. Need to move. Need to found a punk rawk band. Need to finally grow the shit up. So, no.
Old 08-14-2005, 05:01 PM   #25
How am I not myself?

I need to sling some praises in your direction Trep. Seriously, your responses in this thread have helped me understand a lot of things in greater depth. Obviously, you are wise beyond your years. Your comment about doing something good for yourself every day is a very good point indeed. One in which I will strive to stick too. I'm positive that I'll be purchasing a copy of your book once its published. Anyway, just giving credit where credit is due. I really don't know what this forum would do without you... and that goes for a lot of others here too.
Old 08-14-2005, 05:05 PM   #26
SamNMax

Same here. You've helped me out countless times when I needed it.

Old 08-14-2005, 05:07 PM   #27
OB

Thanks for the replies. This has been going on for quite a while, but I had to let it out, somehow. The melancholy comes and goes, and some days are really nice and others not so nice. I do tend to take those little walks and have my fair share of impulse purchases these days.

Ahhhh, women.
Old 08-15-2005, 01:20 AM   #28
Feind der Anonymitaet!

Send a message via ICQ to pinkgothic Send a message via AIM to pinkgothic Send a message via Yahoo to pinkgothic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrift Store Scott
Eep. I seem to have touched a nerve there.
Okay...the next time I'm in Germany, I expect you to be ready to go out for dinner and a movie with me, or whatever else strikes your fancy (except for dancing, of course! )
What, no dancing? Scott! You disappoint me.

Quote:
In fact, it reminded me that I had just done the thing that used to irritate me most some years ago.
Oh, oops. In that case, of course, I take back my apology. Bad, bad Scott!

Scottsie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
I personally don't give a damn about age differences, though I most likely wouldn't find an average 21-year-old as interesting as a 41-year-old. As I told big R a while back, it's not age that intrigues and draws me, it's character.
Absolutely. I can completely understand that. Whilst I'm not at all interested in age, I can see there being a specific age pattern despite that, which has to do with where the type of personality I like tends to be nestled. Like with you, I tend to find a 41 year old more interesting than a 21 year old - at least, that's the pattern in guys, I'm not so sure about patterns in females, I've not given it that much of a thought, but presumably it's the same, if not quite so extreme.

Quote:
As far as multiple romances, why not? If both all parties involved

Quote:
But it could also drain you emotionally, I think only very, very few people can actually sustain this kind of experience.
It might surprise you, but I agree. Fact is, though, I'm in my third relationship now, and this is the first time I've gone for polygamy - and it's the first time it's working! Previously each time I'd have a monogamous relationship (with truly lovely people, as a side-note, one of which I'm still good friends with) it wrecked me emotionally one way or the other. I like to think (but have no idea how true this is, other than that it feels so) that I've got too much love for one person

But we'll see how it works out long-term
Winner of the Second-Best-Dressed and Non-Specific awards in the Unbiased Impostor Awards™, amongst many others.

Non-Conformist to Non-Conformism™
Internet Explodifier™ - the best weapon of mass destruction!!!11one
Trademark Overuser™
Old 08-15-2005, 01:21 AM   #29
Feind der Anonymitaet!

Send a message via ICQ to pinkgothic Send a message via AIM to pinkgothic Send a message via Yahoo to pinkgothic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider Crusoe
I've got a new avatar for him when he returns.

http://students.washington.edu/mtwall/flateric.gif
Haha, that's awesome! Thank you, Spider Crusoe I'll poke him with it later.
Winner of the Second-Best-Dressed and Non-Specific awards in the Unbiased Impostor Awards™, amongst many others.

Non-Conformist to Non-Conformism™
Internet Explodifier™ - the best weapon of mass destruction!!!11one
Trademark Overuser™
Old 08-15-2005, 03:22 AM   #30
Psychonaut

Happy

*Shrugs*

Not really/Sometimes/Who knows (Delete as appropriate)

But you know I can't really complain. This year has been a pretty good year so far. Moved house/got promoted/going to Florida so I should be ecstatic.

I make a decent living so can't complain financially.

But just feel something is missing, but can't quite put finger on it.

A lot of stress from the new job and wondering if I was better off with less money and less stress doesn't help.
Old 08-15-2005, 01:22 PM   #31
S.P.E.C.I.A.L.

Send a message via MSN to Talas

Yes, I'm happy... when I'm not at the office. Life in general is difficult but that's nothing new so I don't complain
Old 08-16-2005, 02:38 AM   #32
jaf
big, hairy and blue

I think I'm happy. Or at least I'm happier than ever before
I have love and I have good health. I have some money problems, but that's secondary.
Old 08-17-2005, 05:24 PM   #33
Super Moderator

Quote:
Orange Brat, I'm so sorry to hear about your troubles. On that account, insane_cobra seems to have taken the words right out of my mouth, and I can add nothing to his words of comfort and advice except to say that I agree with him wholeheartedly.
Am I happy? A little.
I will soon have to move because the apartments where I live are being sold and will be torn down to make way for luxury condominiums, so that's a bit of a downer. I truly hate moving, and I've collected a phenomenal amount of crap over the eight years I've lived here that will have to be sifted through ruthlessly and without emotion.
My job is currently very stressful because my immediate boss has raised nit-picking to an art form, and frequently displays an astonishing gift for focusing on the least important aspect of any given situation. However, I just spent the last week in the company of my corporate big bosses, and they and I seem to see eye-to-eye, so in the big picture I'm in good standing. Perhaps my immediate boss will move on to another position and will be replaced with someone who has a clue.
I haven't dated anyone in years, but spent this past week in close quarters in the company of someone with whom I got along famously from the moment we met. They're already spoken for (of course), but this does give me renewed hope that there might be someone out there for me after all, which is a good thing. Missing someone so strongly after only (*checks clock*) 27 hours apart has inspired me to renew my search for a "significant other" in a more active fashion.
Overall, I'd say I'm a little happy, but I'm trying to improve that score.

ScottMate
Being a rare poster, I'll throw in my 2 cents - I've been in a funk for a while. Between school and home, I've been feeling drained. I completely empathize with you Scott. The duplex I have been living in for 5 years is being sold and I only have about a year and a half left of my PhD before I would have needed to move. I really hate moving as well. Once I am settled somewhere, I like to stay until I absolutely have to move. I also love where I am living so it makes it even harder. I am also very sick of school (my experiments are not cooperating). The longer I am at this, the harder it is to keep the enthusiasm. However, I did go on a spectuacular day hike near Lake Tahoe last weekend and that brightened my day (my dog had fun too)!!!

To OrangeBrat - I am so sorry about your marriage.
Old 08-19-2005, 08:11 AM   #34
Doctor Watson

Quote:
Bratsie (may I call you that? Pleeeeez?), the only thing I can tell you at this point is to give yourself permission to at least do something, anything, good for yourself every single day. I mean it, every single day. It could be anything at all - going out very early in the morning for a jog or a stroll and watching the sun break the horizon, or treating yourself to gelato, or paying someone a compliment (yes, this actually makes you feel better!). The road to happiness begins deep inside and works its way out. Be honest with yourself.
This is so true. And not even that difficult.
Old 08-27-2005, 04:25 PM   #35

Well i've bin happy for quite a while now! I have a wicked family who put a smile on my face! I get along with my parents better now then i did in my childhood days! I don't know why, i never use to confide in my parents before but now im getting more confident in doing so!

I'm also happy because i've bin in a long term relationship with my boyfriend for 2yrs 8months! Which is pretty short for me! I love him to bits! I 'm really happy with him and i don't want things to change! We have just got back from holiday! As you all know and my family are wicked, scrugates is amazing his family is amazing and im really happy! Yeah i have had my bad moments but i think if i become more confident then everything would be better!

But yeah at this point in my life i'am really happy! You guys are awesome to talk to too! I didnt think i would fit in here but it has been fun
Old 08-27-2005, 04:43 PM   #36
Pink fluffy Xmas bunny

I agree with Trep and others - age doesn't really matter in a relationship - the most important thing is that you are able to bond both emotionally and physically with your partner
My last 5 girlfriends have all been at least 8 years younger than me and we had no trouble communicating - maybe they only worked because I'm a kid at heart?

I have been on a bit of a downer since I split up with my last girlfriend - we had been together for 6 years, which is a long time for me - and I thought she was my soul mate.
It's pretty hard to see her out with someone else, and this happens quite a lot because we have the same group of friends, but I still live in hope that there is someone else out there waiting for me
Old 08-29-2005, 06:26 AM   #37
Mrs. Bear

Send a message via AIM to natalia

I voted "I don't know", because I should be happy, but mostly I'm very stressed lately. My wedding is in October and my sister (I'm a part of her wedding) is getting married in September. So there are two events not very far apart to organize and endlessly worry about, to get screwed over by the bridal industrial complex over, and to miss the forest for the trees over.

Also, I love my fiance and his family but they can be soo overwhelming and it's hard living on the east coast surrounded by all of them, since I miss my family and friends so much. I really should be focusing on the good things like our honeymoon in Hawaii, but when I do that I start to worry about all my work deadlines that I have to finish up before my wedding...ack!

Oh well, I really shouldn't be whining because life is really very good for me right now, so maybe I'll just take a little step back and try to appreciate the beautiful forest around me.
Old 08-29-2005, 06:41 AM   #38

Yep, I'm happy.
Good enough job, money, great vacations, fond memories, an incredible amount of things to do...
Old 08-29-2005, 07:59 AM   #39
Magic Wand Waver

Send a message via MSN to Fairygdmther

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalia
I voted "I don't know", because I should be happy, but mostly I'm very stressed lately. My wedding is in October and my sister (I'm a part of her wedding) is getting married in September. So there are two events not very far apart to organize and endlessly worry about, to get screwed over by the bridal industrial complex over, and to miss the forest for the trees over.

Also, I love my fiance and his family but they can be soo overwhelming and it's hard living on the east coast surrounded by all of them, since I miss my family and friends so much. I really should be focusing on the good things like our honeymoon in Hawaii, but when I do that I start to worry about all my work deadlines that I have to finish up before my wedding...ack!

Oh well, I really shouldn't be whining because life is really very good for me right now, so maybe I'll just take a little step back and try to appreciate the beautiful forest around me.
Natalia, I used to live very near Cambridge and worked for Cambridge Health Alliance (combination of Cambridge and Somerville Hospitals). Cambridge is a wonderful city with tons of things to see and do. I'm sure you will come to love it there, if you give it a chance. Boston is huge and with many sections to learn and places to shop. The T gives very good service to Cambridge and Boston to get around, so you don't have to drive much on crowded streets.

I'm sure you are overwhelmed with all the wedding preparations X2, but that will soon be over and after the honeymoon, you will be settling in for real. Take the time to get to know Boston with all of its history and Cambridge for all its kookiness, and you will get out of it much more than you put into it. The two together have a great deal of character to appreciate, more so than many big cities. Best of luck for your upcoming wedding plans.

Lynsie
Old 08-29-2005, 08:09 AM   #40
Mrs. Bear

Send a message via AIM to natalia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairygdmther
Natalia, I used to live very near Cambridge and worked for Cambridge Health Alliance (combination of Cambridge and Somerville Hospitals). Cambridge is a wonderful city with tons of things to see and do. I'm sure you will come to love it there, if you give it a chance. Boston is huge and with many sections to learn and places to shop. The T gives very good service to Cambridge and Boston to get around, so you don't have to drive much on crowded streets.

I'm sure you are overwhelmed with all the wedding preparations X2, but that will soon be over and after the honeymoon, you will be settling in for real. Take the time to get to know Boston with all of its history and Cambridge for all its kookiness, and you will get out of it much more than you put into it. The two together have a great deal of character to appreciate, more so than many big cities. Best of luck for your upcoming wedding plans.

Lynsie
Thanks for the words of encouragement, Lynsie. They definitely help put things into perspective for me. I do love Cambridge (and thank god we moved here -- the feel of the city is so similar to Berkeley where I used to live).

And while there are moments when I feel like an alien here (like walking home from a Red Sox game amidst a sea of die-hard fans), there are other more quiet moments, like when I'm walking along the Charles in the twilight slanting through the trees lining Memorial Drive that I feel at peace, and think that maybe I can someday call this place home. And Boston is a total jewel of a city, that I definitely have to get to more often (it's a sin really that I don't go more than I do, since it's so close).

I may not have been super happy when I posted my original post here, but I'm definitely happier now. Thanks for the kind words Lynsie, and thanks to the AG web site.

*steps out of sappy shoes now*