You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Some interesting upcoming movies...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-22-2005, 11:25 AM   #21
mag

Send a message via AIM to mag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Once A Villain
Have you seen Downfall? Enron: The Smartest Guys in the Room? March of the Penguins? Howl's Moving Castle? Oldboy?
Most of those came out before Batman Begins, though.

Of course, I'm not saying there's no chance that I'll be surprised with another good movie this year either. I'm just saying that 2005 looks like kind of a weak year for movies. As I look at the schedule of coming releases, I don't see anything that really gets me excited like in the last couple of years.

mag
Old 07-22-2005, 11:31 AM   #22
OUATIJ Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mag
Most of those came out before Batman Begins, though.

Of course, I'm not saying there's no chance that I'll be surprised with another good movie this year either. I'm just saying that 2005 looks like kind of a weak year for movies. As I look at the schedule of coming releases, I don't see anything that really gets me excited like in the last couple of years.

mag
No, I see your point. Your point holds up fine. I'm simply adding that you should see those other films as well. They're worth seeing in a year that is, for the most part thus far, a weak one. Also, were you not intrigued at all by the trailer for The New World that I provided a link to? Be honest... I'm certain the trailer doesn't impress everyone. I'm surely biased because I happen to have seen all of Malick's previous work.
Old 07-22-2005, 12:33 PM   #23

By the way... Coffee and Cigarettes is a cool, if totally disjointed, film.
Old 07-22-2005, 12:46 PM   #24
mag

Quote:
Also, were you not intrigued at all by the trailer for The New World that I provided a link to? Be honest... I'm certain the trailer doesn't impress everyone. I'm surely biased because I happen to have seen all of Malick's previous work.
Meh. I saw the trailer for it a couple weeks ago. The concept is certainly intriguing, and the setting is something that's right up my alley. But I just get this overwhelming sense that it's going to end up being really, really cheesy. Of course, I didn't think Collateral was going to be good either, and that's now one of my favorite movies. So maybe I'll be wrong about this one too. I'll probably end up going to see it if for no other reason, then simply because my friends and I spend way too much time at the theater.

mag
Old 07-22-2005, 12:57 PM   #25
OUATIJ Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mag
Meh. I saw the trailer for it a couple weeks ago. The concept is certainly intriguing, and the setting is something that's right up my alley. But I just get this overwhelming sense that it's going to end up being really, really cheesy. Of course, I didn't think Collateral was going to be good either, and that's now one of my favorite movies. So maybe I'll be wrong about this one too. I'll probably end up going to see it if for no other reason, then simply because my friends and I spend way too much time at the theater.
I think you will be surprised. At least I hope so. Even Terrence Malick isn't incapable of making a dud. I just don't think it will happen. For the record, were it not for Malick, I might also have the "sense" that it would end up cheesy or Hollywoodified... Here's hoping it's as good as I think it will be, and better than you think it will be.
Old 07-22-2005, 01:58 PM   #26
A Slice of Fried Gold

Send a message via MSN to SamandMax Send a message via Yahoo to SamandMax

The Weather Man

This looks like my kind of movie.

Bruce Springsteen - Wrecking Ball
They Might Be Giants - Dog Walker
The Kinks - Money Talks
Gorillaz - DoYaThing
Old 07-25-2005, 12:31 PM   #27
mag

New World is definitely looks like one of the more promising films coming up.

I also just watched the trailer for V for Vendetta, which looks like it could be very cool in spite of the horrible track record of movies based on Alan Moore comics.

mag
Old 08-04-2005, 06:51 AM   #28
Epinionated.

I'm looking forward to cheese-fest Into The Blue.
Old 08-07-2005, 04:11 PM   #29
OUATIJ Creator

Well guys, I found another trailer for a movie I think is definitely one to watch for. In addition to The New World, Broken Flowers, King Kong, etc...this one could be really good. I'm SLIGHTLY biased because I'm a huge Tom Wilkinson fan (anyone who has seen In the Bedroom must become a huge Wilkinson fan...he's good in Eternal Sunshine as well), but it's also from the writer of Gosford Park so... Let me know what you think.

http://www.apple.com/trailers/fox_se...ies/large.html
Old 08-07-2005, 09:05 PM   #30
fire breathing

Pretty Pursuasion
Old 08-07-2005, 10:40 PM   #31
OB

Brothers Grimm is going to be Gilliam's most commercial film, so don't expect what you're used to with him. Wait for his next one....Tideland. To whoever said something about Don Quixote...that's cancelled. Mother Nature and curses took that one out twice.
Old 08-07-2005, 11:47 PM   #32
fire breathing

Is New World about the first Jamestowne settlement?
Old 08-08-2005, 12:11 AM   #33
OUATIJ Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade
Is New World about the first Jamestowne settlement?
Yup.
Old 08-08-2005, 04:24 AM   #34
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange Brat
Brothers Grimm is going to be Gilliam's most commercial film, so don't expect what you're used to with him. Wait for his next one....Tideland. To whoever said something about Don Quixote...that's cancelled. Mother Nature and curses took that one out twice.
The documentary about Don Quixote film is great though, it really shows the hell Gilliam and the crew had to go through.

It would've an excellent movie, I mean Depp and Gilliam, that's a perfect pair.
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 08-08-2005, 07:34 AM   #35
mag

Quote:
SUCK!

mag
Old 08-08-2005, 07:57 AM   #36
Epinionated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolzig
The documentary about Don Quixote film is great though, it really shows the hell Gilliam and the crew had to go through.

It would've an excellent movie, I mean Depp and Gilliam, that's a perfect pair.
I saw that last week. Heartbreaking. Little did I know my own production was cutting short! I can understand how the guy felt.
Old 08-08-2005, 08:13 AM   #37

Quote:
Well guys, I found another trailer for a movie I think is definitely one to watch for. In addition to The New World, Broken Flowers, King Kong, etc...this one could be really good. I'm SLIGHTLY biased because I'm a huge Tom Wilkinson fan (anyone who has seen In the Bedroom must become a huge Wilkinson fan...he's good in Eternal Sunshine as well), but it's also from the writer of Gosford Park so... Let me know what you think.

http://www.apple.com/trailers/fox_se...ies/large.html
Highly intrigued! It looks and feels like a movie that I'm going to love. It's so cool to have a film buff on the only internet forum that I regularly visit. Otherwise, I might have totally missed out on this movie. I've been a fan of Tom Wilkinson since Full Monty.
Old 08-08-2005, 09:54 AM   #38
fire breathing

I wonder if my ancestors, the Winstons, will be featured in it then. I'm a direct descendent from them.
Old 08-08-2005, 10:19 AM   #39
The Thread™ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange Brat
To whoever said something about Don Quixote...that's cancelled. Mother Nature and curses took that one out twice.
I was feeling spiteful about it. And the documentary about it, Lost in La Mancha, made it look so promising.

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 08-08-2005, 10:40 AM   #40
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

It is said that Lost in La Mancha is the first documentary about unmaking of a film.

I remember something like that.
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.