You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

View Poll Results: Have you been to a sauna?
Yes, and I own one. 3 13.64%
Yes, someone I know owns, (or similar) (I don't) 7 31.82%
Yes, but I don't own one. 4 18.18%
No, but I own one. (?) 0 0%
No, I don't own one 6 27.27%
Other 1 4.55%
Awesome obstacle saunas 1 4.55%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-18-2005, 08:55 AM   #1
Life and times of...

Default Saunas

I'm interested about how popular those things actually are...

Also, I'm interested what some take for saunas, 'cause to me (and probably every Finnish) for example this isn't much of a sauna it's almost a mockery
Old 07-18-2005, 09:07 AM   #2
Feind der Anonymitaet!

Send a message via ICQ to pinkgothic Send a message via AIM to pinkgothic Send a message via Yahoo to pinkgothic

I'd probably hate the damn things today, given how I can get a free sauna on like 20 days of the year anyway e_e whether I want it or not... but I used to love it back in South Africa (don't ask how that matches up as opposed to her in germany, I've no idea) in winter, my parents had one in the house. 'xcept, of course, I don't live there anymore. So I picked "Yes, but I don't have one". Never been to a public sauna, though (I hear such things exist, anyway, but wouldn't be surprised if it's an urban myth, hehe).
Winner of the Second-Best-Dressed and Non-Specific awards in the Unbiased Impostor Awardsâ„¢, amongst many others.

Non-Conformist to Non-Conformismâ„¢
Internet Explodifierâ„¢ - the best weapon of mass destruction!!!11one
Trademark Overuserâ„¢
Old 07-18-2005, 09:29 AM   #3
fov
Rattenmonster

Saunas always seem like a good idea until you're sitting inside one and it feels like your skin is peeling off.

I prefer hot tubs.
Old 07-18-2005, 09:33 AM   #4
Mostly absent

I picked the "Yes, someone I know owns, (or similar) (I don't)" since when I lived with my mom and dad we had a great sauna, but now when I live in an apartment I just use the one we have in the building. It's not too bad either actually...
Old 07-18-2005, 10:08 AM   #5
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

I picked the same choice as Mattsius.
My parents have a sauna, my grandparents have a sauna and my brother has a great sauna.

Sauna is propably one of the most important inventions ever.
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 07-18-2005, 10:13 AM   #6
Ale! And keep 'em coming!

Does *EVERYONE* in Finland have a sauna?!

-

>>>Inventor of the Mail order-Assassin<<<

And *This*...is a Black Hole - BYE!
Old 07-18-2005, 10:50 AM   #7
Doctor Watson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazhara7
Does *EVERYONE* in Finland have a sauna?!
Yes. Unbelievable but true.
Old 07-18-2005, 10:52 AM   #8
SamNMax

Never been in one. Don't want to. How come it's only middle-aged business men in saunas?

Old 07-18-2005, 11:10 AM   #9

My parents have one. This is in Holland, mind... but my mom's Swedish so that probably explains it.
Old 07-18-2005, 11:32 AM   #10
Αγαπώ την Κέρκυρα

"Yes, but dinny have yen"

I sweat after about 5 minutes in the bath, so I try not to use them. Although they are uber-good for ones skin

Θα ημουν μαλλον στο ποδιλατο μου!!!
Old 07-18-2005, 11:41 AM   #11
merely human

I love both wet and dry saunas, they're good for you. If/when I have my own little lighthouse when I'm an old man, I want a small sauna in it, and a Japanese bath.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 07-18-2005, 12:32 PM   #12

I would like a Turkish Bath. They seem to have come out of fashion, though. But I loved the one on the Titanic. So lovely ("Titanic - Adventure out of time")

-

Old 07-18-2005, 12:37 PM   #13
merely human

I love the Japanse bath because it's all about water and wood. You soak in hot water in a wood 'tub', and there are bamboo walls and wood floors and you can meditate and there's a little wooden bucket you use to pour water over yourself, and it's pure physical and spiritual pleasure.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 07-18-2005, 12:37 PM   #14
S.P.E.C.I.A.L.

Send a message via MSN to Talas

My bathroom turns into a sauna every time I turn off my AC
Old 07-18-2005, 12:50 PM   #15
Psychonaut

Nope don't go in them.

They tend to have seedy reputations in the UK

Old 07-18-2005, 05:24 PM   #16
Bad Influence

Send a message via Yahoo to Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamNMax
Never been in one. Don't want to. How come it's only middle-aged business men in saunas?
Don't knock it until you've tried it. Saunas feel great, and they're excellent for getting you to sweat out all the toxins in your body.
Aside from opening your pores, they really open up your sinuses as well, and are frequently just the thing to kick an irritating cold's butt and send it packing.
The thing about only middle-aged business men using saunas is a myth. Depending on what time of day you go, you might find a bunch of retirees or a whole sports team in their 20s. Okay, yes, I'm middle-aged now, but most of the time I was going to saunas regularly I wasn't, and there was always a pretty fair cross-section of age groups in there.
True, I never saw many teenagers in a sauna, but I always figured that's because teenagers are too hyper by nature to sit still and enjoy a good sweat.

ScottMate

Share the love.

<3
Old 07-18-2005, 05:59 PM   #17
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrift Store Scott
Okay, yes, I'm middle-aged now...
Speak for yerself, bitch! I'm your age and I don't feel any older than when I was eight.
Old 07-18-2005, 06:13 PM   #18
Bad Influence

Send a message via Yahoo to Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
Speak for yerself, bitch! I'm your age and I don't feel any older than when I was eight.
Granted, I still think like a fifteen-year-old, but my thirty-ninth birthday is coming up in December, and there's no getting away from that. Actually, the coolest part about being 39 is not being 15 anymore: I now have a car of my own, a place of my own, a little money of my own, and best of all Mr. Happy no longer insists that we go out at every given opportunity whether it's a good time to or not.
Plus, I've really learned to appreciate a good sauna!

ScottMate

Share the love.

<3
Old 07-18-2005, 06:15 PM   #19
fov
Rattenmonster

Geoff and I are going to the Japanese baths tomorrow night. Then getting massages.

As for saunas, I don't know anyone who has one at their house (unless it's an apartment complex or something). Only seen them at spas. I have known some people who had hot tubs, though. We'd possibly get one ourselves if we owned our house instead of renting...
Old 07-18-2005, 10:51 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrift Store Scott
True, I never saw many teenagers in a sauna, but I always figured that's because teenagers are too hyper by nature to sit still and enjoy a good sweat.

ScottMate

I don't know about teenagers, but I know that children under a certain age should not be allowed to use a sauna.

Also, I think it is not recommended to use a sauna if you have a cold...or was that if you have fever?

-