You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Harry Potter 6 - the "do not read this thread until you've finished the book" thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-20-2005, 02:39 PM   #41
The Thread™ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire
the trip across the dark lake to recover the horcrux-the Inferi are truly creepy.
I want to see this done in film. Let's scare those children!
Quote:
* seemingly pointless filler in the middle.
Maybe I've forgotten half the book already, but I suspect that most stuff not directly relevant to the plot of this book will be relevant in the next one.

Quote:
* the fact that despite a promising start, Draco is only on the peripheral for most of the book.
My brother, having finished the book, complained to me that Draco was, once again, the most one-dimensional and thus unbelievable character. Giving him more presence may have helped (Rowling was obviously trying to make us feel sorry for him), so I agree here.

Quote:
Also I've been thinking about the other horcruxes-does anyone else think that Harry might be the final one?
Wikipedia suggests this, and it would be interesting, but I'm sure someone will come up with a good reason why it can't be the case. Voldemort did murder Harry's mother, though, so surely it depends on how long it takes to make a horcrux?

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 07-20-2005, 02:43 PM   #42
Ale! And keep 'em coming!

Quote:

Also I've been thinking about the other horcruxes-does anyone else think that Harry might be the final one?

Oh yes, I do. Although I think this might not have been intended by Voldemort.
Wasn't there mention in book two that Harry got part of Voldemort's abilities through the spell (being a Parseltongue, for example). Maybe this was because a piece of Voldie's soul passed over to Harry.

And maybe V doesn't even know that. Maybe he just knows of the ones he created himself, and doesn't know about it himself. So he made the six horcruxes, and then there is Harry.

-

>>>Inventor of the Mail order-Assassin<<<

And *This*...is a Black Hole - BYE!

Last edited by Jazhara7; 07-20-2005 at 02:55 PM.
Old 07-20-2005, 02:45 PM   #43
The Thread™ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazhara7
Oh yes, I do. Although I think this might not have been intended by Voldemort.
I'm curious as to how one could accidentally create a horcrux. I'm not saying that you're wrong, mind you...

Old 07-20-2005, 02:56 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLacey
I'm curious as to how one could accidentally create a horcrux. I'm not saying that you're wrong, mind you...

Well, maybe it has to do with the Avada Kedavra spell. After all, nobody has survived it before. So the side effects are most likely not known either.

-

Old 07-20-2005, 02:58 PM   #45
The Thread™ will die.

Quote:
Well, maybe it has to do with the Avada Kedavra spell. After all, nobody has survived it before. So the side effects are most likely not known either.

-
This may be a lapse in my memory of the previous books (I'm afraid I didn't reread them all), but how do we know for certain that Voldemort used the Avada Kedavra spell on Harry? Surely there was nobody else in the room by the time he'd massacred the parents?

Old 07-20-2005, 03:06 PM   #46
Excessively diverted

Quote:

-
Yes, perhaps Harry is a quasi-horcrux--the transfer of abilities and the link between Harry and V, with some insights into his emotions etc. might suggest that he has accidentally transferred a part of his soul. Of course, he can't be a true horcrux, because this spell would have appeared during the wand-reversal scene in book 4.
Old 07-20-2005, 03:49 PM   #47
Doctor Watson

I was bothered by this:

Quote:
Voldemort voldemort voldemort voldemort voldemort voldemort voldemort voldemort voldemort voldemort voldemort voldemort voldemort voldemort voldemort voldemort voldemort voldemort voldemort voldemort voldemort voldemort voldemort voldemort voldemort voldemort voldemort voldemort voldemort voldemort voldemort voldemort voldemort voldemort voldemort voldemort voldemort voldemort voldemort voldemort voldemort voldemort. Voldemort.

Suddenly, Harry and Ginny were engaged in deep kisses.

Snape snape snape snape snape snape.

"Remus, I love you!" Tonks sighed.
You got the picture.
Old 07-20-2005, 04:04 PM   #48
The Dartmaster

Send a message via ICQ to Jake Send a message via MSN to Jake Send a message via Yahoo to Jake

Quote:
This may be a lapse in my memory of the previous books (I'm afraid I didn't reread them all), but how do we know for certain that Voldemort used the Avada Kedavra spell on Harry? Surely there was nobody else in the room by the time he'd massacred the parents?
The green flash is mentioned, plus a couple characters have said it outright I think, around book 4.

"I was one of the original lovers." - Evan Dickens
Old 07-20-2005, 11:30 PM   #49

Quote:

We can't know for sure, but it is the nearest thing to assume right now.

-

Old 07-21-2005, 12:31 PM   #50

Quote:
I can't decide whether or not Snape is evil. Seeing as JKR has played with this idea over and over again through the series, I'm inclined to think Harry might once again have got it wrong, and that Snape was working to some pre-arranged plan.

The question is not wheter or not Snape is evil. The question is wheter Ms. Rowling only knows the double-cross, or if she also knows the infamous Triple-cross.

-

Old 07-21-2005, 01:37 PM   #51
Excessively diverted

Quote:
The question is not wheter or not Snape is evil. The question is wheter Ms. Rowling only knows the double-cross, or if she also knows the infamous Triple-cross.

-
I'm sure that Snape must be on a quintuple-cross by now
Old 07-21-2005, 02:04 PM   #52
The Thread™ will die.

Quote:
I'm sure that Snape must be on a quintuple-cross by now
How could anyone trust this man?

All hail Alan Rickman, the most typecast baddie ever. Which is a shame, because he's a damn good actor.

I'm wondering who else is going to be double-crossing the good guys. After all, surely it all has to be more complex than we've been led to believe thus far?

Old 07-22-2005, 12:53 AM   #53

Quote:
How could anyone trust this man?

All hail Alan Rickman, the most typecast baddie ever. Which is a shame, because he's a damn good actor.

*drools* It's the Metatron!

-

Old 07-23-2005, 09:32 AM   #54
Liver of Life

Just finished the book and raced here to finally open this topic which I dared not a couple of days ago.

For some reason, I can't help but think of Snape as a Darth Vader-like character. I know it'd be cheesy, but...maybe I'm just thinking this because I always thought he was really the good guy Dumbledore claimed he was.

And I'm kind of pissed off that Harry claims he's not going back to school next year even if it remained open. I don't know if he noticed, but none of the spells he used on Snape so much as brushed his hair.

"And if I meet Severus Snape along the way, so much the better for me, so much the worse for him."

Ooooh, now I'm, scared...

But I guess this is how Harry Potter is.

For a minute when they described Bill's injuries, I seriously thought Fleur would be put off by it and call off the wedding and Mrs. Weasley would've gladly arranged it with Tonks. Oh well.

Like Jake mentioned, I too thought it got a little slow towards the middle. I liked the book nonetheless. Something about these books just makes me like them. Maybe it's Dumbledore (who more than ever reminded me of Gandalf), or maybe it's something else. Honestly, I can't wait for #7.

I wonder if there'll be more than 7 books, though. Given the implication that the seventh book doesn't follow their adventures at school, what's to say there won't be an eighth that also follows their adventures outside of school? Probably not, though. Seven is, after all, the most magically powerful number.
Old 07-23-2005, 10:14 AM   #55
Tactlessly understated

Send a message via AIM to Kingzjester

Jake, my opinion of you, high though it once may have been, has just gone down the shithole.

I read the first four books in a marathon session before I sat back and analysed them for what they're worth. The most annoying thing about this alleged coming of age story is that Harry Potter never does anything. He is just a jock victimized by circumstance. Ron and Hermione do much more, but the books are not about them. Another bothersome thing is the writing, it just reeks. Frankly, the Serbian translation of the books was an easier read than the books in the original.
Old 07-23-2005, 02:20 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingzjester
Jake, my opinion of you, high though it once may have been, has just gone down the shithole.

Well, Kingz, I can only reply with this

-

Old 07-24-2005, 11:58 AM   #58
The Dartmaster

Send a message via ICQ to Jake Send a message via MSN to Jake Send a message via Yahoo to Jake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingzjester
Oh whatever. If it's an issue for you at all -- even in a half-joking sense* -- that I enjoy the Harry Potter books, you had better go and reassess your life now, or just kill yourself and end it.

I'm perfectly fine with the fact that Harry Potter doesn't try to be anything higher than what it really is, and generally revels in its cheezy entertainment-papness. They're goofy, but in my opinion well constructed, pieces of popular entertainment. I am entertained by them. I don't think anything else needs to be said.

*possibly Harry Potter and the Half-Joking Sense even.

"I was one of the original lovers." - Evan Dickens
Old 07-24-2005, 12:36 PM   #59

Oh my god! IT'S PEOPLE! HARRY POTTER IS PEOPLE!

"No, wait...that can't be right."

Oops, I mean: Oh my god! THEY'RE BREEDING!!!

-

Old 07-24-2005, 12:59 PM   #60
SamNMax

More where that came from. A lot more.