You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Harry Potter 6 - the "do not read this thread until you've finished the book" thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-19-2005, 09:02 AM   #21

I'm not going to read this thread since haven't yet read the book and probably won't until the paperback version is released but I thought you guys might get a kick out of what was in an email I got from Green Peace on the book. The email basically said that despite their campaign Scholastic refused to print the books on recycled paper which would have saved 217,475 trees. Now if that doesn't show you how big the initial print run on the book is, nothing will. 217,475 tress! Harry Potter sure killed lots of trees!

The email goes to to say that I should buy the book from Canada since the book's Canadian publisher, Raincoast Books, has printed the book on 100% post-consumer recycled paper. *sigh* Americans are now even behind saving trees.
Old 07-19-2005, 09:37 AM   #22
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucien21
I can't see Harry and Luna as he told Ginny he had to stop seeing her so she wouldn't get hurt.
Agreed. Though I expect that either Ginny will die or Harry will have to save her, because not seeing her isn't the same as not loving her.

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 07-19-2005, 10:00 AM   #23
Ale! And keep 'em coming!

Quote:
I can't see Harry and Luna as he told Ginny he had to stop seeing her so she wouldn't get hurt.

Luna is one of my favourite characters (even more than Sirius, and nearly as much as Dumbledore.)

Long live the Loonies!

-

>>>Inventor of the Mail order-Assassin<<<

And *This*...is a Black Hole - BYE!
Old 07-19-2005, 10:37 AM   #24
The Dartmaster

Send a message via ICQ to Jake Send a message via MSN to Jake Send a message via Yahoo to Jake

Quote:

I don't think book 7 will take place at the school at all. Harry will be going around trying to destroy those soul fragments and then fight Voldemort but will die in the process.
I predict a slight increase in levelheadedness will mean a return to school, and the only reason Luna makes sense to me is the conversation between her and Harry at the end of book 5. Having Harry die would make no sense.

"I was one of the original lovers." - Evan Dickens
Old 07-19-2005, 11:18 AM   #25
Doctor Watson

Old 07-19-2005, 01:26 PM   #26
Retired Buccaneer

My impressions, disjointed and random as they are:

I was surprised about the big hints given during chapter 2, the one in which we find out that Malfoy and Snape are Up To Something. In the first books we were led to believe something and then were told it was totally wrong (Snape wants the Philosopher's Stone, Hagrid opened the Chamber of Secrets, Sirius Black betrayed Harry's parents etc), so now when it appears outwardly that Snape is plotting evil, we reassure ourselves that he isn't - only to be shocked when he does the dirty deed.

Re Dumbledore's death: the description of him is as "pleading," rather odd for someone so unafraid of dying. What was he pleading for, for Snape to kill him? This raises the possibility that the whole "Snape is evil" plotline is another deception, one that spans this book and the next.

Not that I'm a fan of Snape, I've always hated him, and though I hope that Dumbledore's trust was indeed well-placed, I do rather like being able to call him a villain.

Hermione was much harder to like this time around. I was rather annoyed with the rift between her and Ron, as clearly they were attracted to each other and I just wanted them to get the reunion over with.

Harry and Ginny: a bit sudden, but not unexpected.

I thought this was a much better paced book than Phoenix, which plodded along and was full of depressing stuff (mostly to do with Umbridge). HBP, however, had events flowing very smoothly, so much that I wanted to know more about the classes they were taking.

Liked some of the allusions in the chapter titles: "An Excess of Phlegm" to the four-bodily-humor theory of Shakespeare's day, and "The Lightning-Struck Tower" to a Tarot card.

And Snape's declaration that he was the Prince seemed a bit odd, almost like a stereotypical fanfic. "You dare to attack me, I, the Half-Blood Prince?" Or whatever he said, it was a rather strange choice of words for the middle of an escape from Hogwarts anyway.

Loved the use of Voldemort: only in memories, but never in person. This is exactly the sort of thing that demonstrates his power and mystique.

Interesting cliffhanger ending, much more so than the earlier books. Most of the mystery comes from the fact that after six books of Hogwarts, we're not quite sure what will happen in the seventh. I personally feel that he'll have to go back there for the whole year or not at all, as I doubt McGonagall would demand anything less.

All in all, there was much more to like about this book than Order of the Phoenix for me, which didn't really feel like the others in the series.
Old 07-19-2005, 03:51 PM   #27
Bad Influence

Send a message via Yahoo to Sage
Default Observations And Predictions

Harry's sudden romantic interest in Ginny is the result of Ginny (in desperation) using a love potion. Witness Harry smelling the same kind of flowers he smelled when sniffing unapplied love potion every time he's near Ginny. Their love affair will not last, and Harry will most likely wind up with Luna.
"R.A.B." is Regulus Black, Sirius's brother who became a Death Eater, but apparently never wholeheartedly. This might mean that one or more of the horcruxes are hidden at 12 Grimmauld Place, perhaps in Kreacher's room.
The appearance of Dumbledore's painting in his former office signifies that he is a past headmaster of Hogwarts, not necessarily that he is dead. Faking his own death would allow Dumbledore to pursue Voldemort unimpeded by the Ministry Of Magic and unsuspected by the Death Eaters. Dumbledore's twin brother Aberforth could account for the body at the base of the astronomy tower.

Omloflump, I don't know what book you read that was masquerading as "The Half-Blood Prince", but I assure you that none of the things you enumerate happen in the real book.

ScottMate

Share the love.

<3

Last edited by Sage; 07-19-2005 at 03:56 PM.
Old 07-19-2005, 04:03 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrift Store Scott
Harry's sudden romantic interest in Ginny is the result of Ginny (in desperation) using a love potion. Witness Harry smelling the same kind of flowers he smelled when sniffing unapplied love potion every time he's near Ginny. Their love affair will not last, and Harry will most likely wind up with Luna.
"R.A.B." is Regulus Black, Sirius's brother who became a Death Eater, but apparently never wholeheartedly. This might mean that one or more of the horcruxes are hidden at 12 Grimmauld Place, perhaps in Kreacher's room.
The appearance of Dumbledore's painting in his former office signifies that he is a past headmaster of Hogwarts, not necessarily that he is dead. Faking his own death would allow Dumbledore to pursue Voldemort unimpeded by the Ministry Of Magic and unsuspected by the Death Eaters. Dumbledore's twin brother Aberforth could account for the body at the base of the astronomy tower.

Omloflump, I don't know what book you read that was masquerading as "The Half-Blood Prince", but I assure you that none of the things you enumerate happen in the real book.

ScottMate

But Aberforth is the Barkeep at the Hog's Head in Hogsmeade. I think it would not go unnoticed if he went missing. Aberforth has Grey hair (that could be changed by magic), and I doubt Dumbledore would want to be responsible for the death of his own brother.

-

Old 07-19-2005, 04:11 PM   #29
Retired Buccaneer

I'm pretty sure Dumbledore is quite dead. It would be most unlike him to leave Hogwarts permanently of his own will.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrift Store Scott
Actually, the potion in Slughorn's dungeon smells differently to everyone, based on what he or she likes; Hermione says so, and gets embarrassed because to her it smells like Ron. So the love potion smells like Ginny because Harry is attracted to her (though he didn't realize it consciously when he was near the potion).
Old 07-19-2005, 04:12 PM   #30
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

EDIT: Beaten to it, but I'll leave this up.

The Regulus plot idea is noted on Wikipedia, along with a quotation that I haven't checked, but which apparently mentions a large locket. At the beginning of ...The Order of the Phoenix, apparently.

Personally, I'd be surprised if Dumbledore isn't dead, as he can now much more usefully serve the Obi-Wan-esque role from the confines of a painting.

As for the Harry/Ginny thing, it was rushed but I doubt that she was using a love potion. The connection between the flowers and Ginny was surely supposed to be suggesting that when Harry smelt the love potion he was, so to speak, smelling Ginny? I don't quite see Harry loving flowers strongly enough for them to come to mind upon smelling a love potion. Quite apart from this, though, the Ron/Hermionie, Harry/Ginny romances potentially suggested throughout the novel at least provide a neat and tidy - if slightly forced - potential ending.

Old 07-19-2005, 09:19 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATMachine
Re Dumbledore's death: the description of him is as "pleading," rather odd for someone so unafraid of dying. What was he pleading for, for Snape to kill him? This raises the possibility that the whole "Snape is evil" plotline is another deception, one that spans this book and the next.
I believe that Snape was acting on Dumbledore's orders all the way. Obviously, Dumbledore somehow knew it would have to come to this, and probably ordered Snape to kill him if necessary. And it was, since Snape would have blown his trust with Voldemort if he didn't. Which is essential to defeating him in the end.
Old 07-19-2005, 09:36 PM   #32
with extra cheese!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLacey
Agreed. Though I expect that either Ginny will die or Harry will have to save her, because not seeing her isn't the same as not loving her.
That would be a terrible ending to the series, because that little 'romance' was the most contrived thing I've read. The one thing JK Rowling can't do is write teen romances.

Edit: Oh, and it would be crap too if Dumbledore suddenly resumed his mentor-like position from his painting on the wall. It would make his death seem a thousand times less emotional, wouldn't it?
and all the signs that should show me what's right and what's wrong have been knocked down, shaken and smothered by previous lovers and non-descript others like me, who don't know what it's for, all I know is that I want more.
Old 07-19-2005, 09:43 PM   #33
fire breathing

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillyruless
I'm not going to read this thread since haven't yet read the book and probably won't until the paperback version is released but I thought you guys might get a kick out of what was in an email I got from Green Peace on the book. The email basically said that despite their campaign Scholastic refused to print the books on recycled paper which would have saved 217,475 trees. Now if that doesn't show you how big the initial print run on the book is, nothing will. 217,475 tress! Harry Potter sure killed lots of trees!

The email goes to to say that I should buy the book from Canada since the book's Canadian publisher, Raincoast Books, has printed the book on 100% post-consumer recycled paper. *sigh* Americans are now even behind saving trees.
er...J.K. Rowling made a deal with the british publisher specifially to use recycled paper, so saying stuff like "Harry Potter sure killed lots of trees!" isn't exactly accurate as it was a decision independent of Miss Rowling to not use recycled paper in America...The canadian publisher is tied together with the british, bloomsbury. (I own the canadian copy).

edit:

Luna rocks.
Old 07-19-2005, 10:09 PM   #34
The Dartmaster

Send a message via ICQ to Jake Send a message via MSN to Jake Send a message via Yahoo to Jake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shodan
Edit: Oh, and it would be crap too if Dumbledore suddenly resumed his mentor-like position from his painting on the wall. It would make his death seem a thousand times less emotional, wouldn't it?
I agree. I hope that this will be attemped by Harry, but will be extremely depressing when the painting turns out to be like all the others and only really be a representitive shadow of Dumbledore instead of a clone of him trapped in a frame.

"I was one of the original lovers." - Evan Dickens
Old 07-20-2005, 12:28 AM   #35
Doctor Watson

Dumbledore is so obviously dead. People are NOT resurrected from death in Harry Potter books! It's simply wouldn't agree with the style of the books. Besides, the seventh book would be really boring if Dumbledore would yet again save the day every time there is a problem.
Old 07-20-2005, 06:36 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormsie
Dumbledore is so obviously dead. People are NOT resurrected from death in Harry Potter books! It's simply wouldn't agree with the style of the books. Besides, the seventh book would be really boring if Dumbledore would yet again save the day every time there is a problem.
I agree. I think that's the exact reason J.K. Rowling killed him off in the first place, so that Harry could save the day himself without Dumbledore stepping up for him.
Old 07-20-2005, 08:34 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormsie

I second that.

Still chatting with the paintings must be fun...

-

Old 07-20-2005, 02:01 PM   #38

I thought some of you might be interested in this.

Some customised Playmobil (Klickies and Buildings) by Daniela from the Playmoboard.

The cast...

...and Hogwarts!

All of it is displayed in a Harry Potter exhibition in the Museum Zirndorf* - it is from 2. July to 1. September.

* Zirndorf, Bavaria is the home of Playmobil.

-

Old 07-20-2005, 02:24 PM   #39
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Old 07-20-2005, 02:31 PM   #40
Excessively diverted

I just finished HP! Some of my immediate thoughts:

I really enjoyed it, more so that OoTP which was quite depressing, especially with all of the Umbridge parts. At least this time there weren't the glaring inconsistencies, like the fact that the book turns on Lord Voldermort being unable to retrieve the prophecy himself, and so concocts an elaborate scheme to get Harry to do it for him. Then in the last chapter, Lord V seems to think, "well, what the hell" and turns up at the Ministry for the final battle scene after all. Certainly I'm glad to see that Harry got over his rage issues in the summer holidays--I couldn't have handled another year of him flying off the handle all the time!

I found the final dialogue between Harry and Ginny painful in the extreme--it was like some tacky B-rate movie, where the macho hero says "sorry baby, I've got to go save the world again!" I mean, no one really talks like this in real life do they? Ginny's "I never gave up on you Harry" was equally woeful. As for the contrived romance? Perhaps Rowling plans to end the seventh book Jane Austen style, with a double wedding

I can't decide whether or not Snape is evil. Seeing as JKR has played with this idea over and over again through the series, I'm inclined to think Harry might once again have got it wrong, and that Snape was working to some pre-arranged plan. Plus this would form a neat parallel to the scene in the cave, where Harry, out of loyalty and his promise to Dumbledore, continues to feed him the potion, despite the fact that it appears to be killing him.

High-points:
* the fight between Kreacher and Dobby was hilarious.
* the trip across the dark lake to recover the horcrux-the Inferi are truly creepy.
* chapter 24, where Harry uses the Sectumsempra spell, and realises his own potential to do evil.
* Lord V's back-story.
* Fleur's "I am good-looking enough for both of us"!

Low-points:
* final dialogue between Harry and Ginny.
* seemingly pointless filler in the middle.
* the fact that despite a promising start, Draco is only on the peripheral for most of the book.

Also I've been thinking about the other horcruxes-does anyone else think that Harry might be the final one?