Recent movies seen - Page 94 - Adventure Forums
You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Recent movies seen

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2006, 01:20 AM   #1861
capsized.

Predator. If it bleeds, we can kill it.
Old 12-09-2006, 10:07 AM   #1862
OUATIJ Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by omloflump View Post
But this is certainly an interesting issue. Personally, I would judge Apocalypto on its own merit if I were to see it (I won't, though), and I have no problem watching Woody Allen or Polanski films...
Hmmm... What this is the sentence that leaves me with a question, and that question is: Why won't you be seeing Apocalypto? Is it because the subject matter simply doesn't interest you? Perhaps the trailers put you to sleep? Or is it a dislike for Gibson, either as a man or a filmmaker? From what you said in your post I get the feeling it has nothing to do with his anti-Jew outburst, but I just wanted to clarify.

Personally, I find child molestation to be more offensive than a drunken outburst against any race or religion, in which case watching a Gibson film would be a walk in the park compared to viewing a Polanski. Besides, while it doesn't make Gibson's actions any more tolerable, he was obviously drunk. His comments were incredibly outrageous... For a sober man to yell such things he would require an I.Q. frighteningly close to Forrest Gump levels. Gibson may have a hidden dislike for Jews, but the alcohol is what brought out those insane allegations.
Old 12-09-2006, 11:39 AM   #1863

Send a message via AIM to guyver1 Send a message via Yahoo to guyver1

I just watched john tucker must die and pulse,pulse was a disappointment john tucker must die was good for the first 30 mins
Old 12-09-2006, 12:21 PM   #1864
The Impostor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Once A Villain View Post
Hmmm... What this is the sentence that leaves me with a question, and that question is: Why won't you be seeing Apocalypto? Is it because the subject matter simply doesn't interest you? Perhaps the trailers put you to sleep? Or is it a dislike for Gibson, either as a man or a filmmaker? From what you said in your post I get the feeling it has nothing to do with his anti-Jew outburst, but I just wanted to clarify.
Well, yes, the subject matter doesn't particularly interest me (even though I've recently studied it) and I don't have any fondness for Gibson as a filmmaker. In short, I have no reason to see it. It sounds rather tedious to me. I'm much less cinema-active nowadays, so I certainly wouldn't bother sitting through Apocalypto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Once A Villain
Gibson may have a hidden dislike for Jews, but the alcohol is what brought out those insane allegations.
Though perhaps the allegations themselves spawned from his father, who travels around America denying the Holocaust. But yes, regardless of his views on the matter, he wouldn't have said it had not the alcohol removed his tact.

Old 12-09-2006, 01:14 PM   #1865
Rabid Tasmanian Devil

I just got back from Deja Vu.
Old 12-09-2006, 01:19 PM   #1866
The Impostor

I thought you already mentioned that.

Old 12-09-2006, 01:30 PM   #1867
Rabid Tasmanian Devil

Ok, bad joke...posting twice for the deja vu pun....didn't like the second half much...spoilers and a rant:

Spoiler:
Okay, so you're an ATF agent who works on a team that can look back 4 days into the past. You want to save the woman whose corpse you've seen in the morgue. Fine, okay, I can buy that...she's the romantic lead for him, so that makes some sense. But having him go back, implicate himself in her death, leave A LOT of dna and external evidence that tells investigators that he was there...ugh. And it gets worse, creating a HUGE paradox in the film.

He dies saving her. Not only that, but his body's in her car...AND his present self meets her at the crime scene at the end. Hell, there's even a line in the film, about what might happen in you saw your own body at the morgue. PLUS, they go driving off at the end...meaning he doesn't stay at the crime scene, doesn't investigate further, doesn't get involved with Val Kilmer's "team". If so, then how can he save her in the first place? If he never meets Kilmer, he never gets involved in time travel to begin with!

Ugh, the whole thing gives me a headache. And don't get me started on the helmet...that'll be a whole new rant! lol
Old 12-09-2006, 02:20 PM   #1868
Citizen of Bizarro World

Do you mean
Spoiler:
4 days in the future
?
Under land of no free! Am us home coward-leeee!

~Excerpt from the Bizarro Anthem

Last edited by Maquisard; 12-09-2006 at 02:41 PM.
Old 12-09-2006, 03:19 PM   #1869

Send a message via AIM to guyver1 Send a message via Yahoo to guyver1

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeisureSuitedLooney View Post

Ok, bad joke...posting twice for the deja vu pun....didn't like the second half much...spoilers and a rant:

Spoiler:
Okay, so you're an ATF agent who works on a team that can look back 4 days into the past. You want to save the woman whose corpse you've seen in the morgue. Fine, okay, I can buy that...she's the romantic lead for him, so that makes some sense. But having him go back, implicate himself in her death, leave A LOT of dna and external evidence that tells investigators that he was there...ugh. And it gets worse, creating a HUGE paradox in the film.

He dies saving her. Not only that, but his body's in her car...AND his present self meets her at the crime scene at the end. Hell, there's even a line in the film, about what might happen in you saw your own body at the morgue. PLUS, they go driving off at the end...meaning he doesn't stay at the crime scene, doesn't investigate further, doesn't get involved with Val Kilmer's "team". If so, then how can he save her in the first place? If he never meets Kilmer, he never gets involved in time travel to begin with!

Ugh, the whole thing gives me a headache. And don't get me started on the helmet...that'll be a whole new rant! lol
I though it was a funny idea it made me laugh
Old 12-09-2006, 04:28 PM   #1870
Rabid Tasmanian Devil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maquisard View Post
Do you mean
Spoiler:
4 days in the future
?

no, in the film it was very specific, in that it was 4-4 1/2 days in the past.
Old 12-09-2006, 08:35 PM   #1871
Citizen of Bizarro World

How do you stop something that's already happened, then?

Old 12-09-2006, 08:53 PM   #1872
Bad Influence

Send a message via Yahoo to Sage

Quote:
Aw man, not a discussion of applied temporal theory again.

Share the love.

<3
Old 12-10-2006, 03:46 AM   #1873
delusions of adequacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by samIamsad View Post
Predator. If it bleeds, we can kill it.

Sounds like Mel Gibson's credo when it comes to directing films. That man loves bloody violence and there's no denying that.

I finally got to see the Virgin Suicides the other day. It didn't hit any cinematic highs but was an enjoyable (as much as the subject matter could be) watch. Much like my reaction to Lost in Translation. The reviews for Marie Antoinette I've read suggest it will be just as 'nearly there'.
Old 12-10-2006, 06:10 AM   #1874
Rabid Tasmanian Devil

Quote:

Yeah, that's kind of the point of the film. For example:

Spoiler:
There's a character in the film, Denzel's partner who is missing, and turns up dead at the explosion. Denzel finds out that the time travel devices these guys use were experimented with, regarding sending stuff to the past, so he wants to try to warn himself about the explosion before it happens. He figures if he does that, he can savfe both his partner, and the woman the terrorist kills at the start.

He writes himself a note, they scan it through, but it doesn't show up on his desk til after he leaves the office...and his partner finds and reads it, thus explaining WHY the partner died at the scene. But even this is a plothole in the film, in a way, because he manages to undo the woman's death...and since they already know she died...eh, like I said, it's all just one big headache.
Old 12-10-2006, 09:50 AM   #1875
Citizen of Bizarro World

Oooh, that sounds interesting!

Old 12-10-2006, 04:11 PM   #1876
Tell me This is It

Send a message via AIM to Terabin

Just saw Spirit of the Beehive and it was phenomenal. At times, it seemed like a Tarkovsky film to me, the pacing and the presentation. Of course, Erice was a contemporary of Tarkovsky. Ana Torrent's performance is incredible. I think I'm going to watch this one again before I return it.
Old 12-11-2006, 06:10 AM   #1877
Rabid Tasmanian Devil

Quote:
Oooh, that sounds interesting!
It was, but it was also frustrating. Time Travel films are a tough sell, anyway, because of the paradoxes in them. But this one was like that times 10, lol. And when the plot doesn't follow its own rules, it becomes a mess.
Old 12-11-2006, 03:13 PM   #1878
gin soaked boy

Night of the Lepus

"Attention! Attention! Ladies and gentlemen, attention! There is a herd of killer rabbits headed this way and we desperately need your help!"

Enough said.
Old 12-11-2006, 06:01 PM   #1879
Rabid Tasmanian Devil

I love Night of the Lepus, lol...would've been a GREAT MST3K episode!
Old 12-13-2006, 01:51 PM   #1880
Ale! And keep 'em coming!

I just saw Eragon. While not completely true to the book (some things they *couldn't* transfer, like the Dragon roost in the fortress of the Varden, which was a giant star sapphire rose above the city. It would have been hard to make that look good. I like how they did it instead, though.), the movie was still awesome.

Some little facts they left out. While not absolutely necessary for the plot, it would still have been nice if they had mentioned them. Also, in the move Saphira names herself, while in the book Eragon has to *find* Saphira's name (It's a quite funny conversation between the two in the book. Eragon starts off with suggesting male dragon names he got from Brom's books to Saphira (that name is also one from Brom's books), until he realises that Saphira is a female dragon!. Another thing they did not mention in the movie about Saphira's name is that (quite a revelatory spoiler follows)

Spoiler:
Saphira was also the name of Brom's dead dragon.

All in all, a great movie. Now I feel up to reading the second book in the series, "Eldest" again.

-

>>>Inventor of the Mail order-Assassin<<<

And *This*...is a Black Hole - BYE!

Last edited by Jazhara7; 12-13-2006 at 04:05 PM.