You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Recent movies seen

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-28-2006, 01:30 PM   #1741
Lazy Bee

Lucky Number Slevin
I was pretty confused during most of the movie but the story eventually unfolded itself neatly.
I love Morgan Freeman's voice.
Old 10-28-2006, 04:56 PM   #1742
The Punisher

Send a message via ICQ to [toj.cc]Phantom Send a message via AIM to [toj.cc]Phantom Send a message via MSN to [toj.cc]Phantom Send a message via Yahoo to [toj.cc]Phantom

Monster House. It made me sad. After having Cars and Over the Hedge set the bar so high, I was disappointed.
Old 10-28-2006, 08:22 PM   #1743
The Punisher

Send a message via ICQ to [toj.cc]Phantom Send a message via AIM to [toj.cc]Phantom Send a message via MSN to [toj.cc]Phantom Send a message via Yahoo to [toj.cc]Phantom

Poseidon
Old 10-28-2006, 08:40 PM   #1744
Squeaky

Default Children of Men

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanie68 View Post
It'll be interesting to see what you all think of the movie [Children of Men] (I probably need to reread the past few pages, maybe someone has already seen it) and I'd be curious if any of you have read the book.
I haven't read the book but I saw the movie last night and really enjoyed it. Whilst fable-like in many respects (a style that has never appealed to me), it was also a gritty and enormously believable portrayal of a near future dystopia. And it always helps having Clive Owen on screen.

Also, sad gaming nerd that I am, I couldn't help but think of Half Life 2 a lot during this movie. Eat your heart out, City 17.
Old 10-28-2006, 11:32 PM   #1745
Psychonaut

Slither

Was ok. Nathan Fillion was pretty good as the sheriff and the effects were suitably gruesome, but it wasn't as funny as the press suggested "best horror comedy since Shaun of the Dead".

Ah well.
Old 10-29-2006, 12:04 PM   #1746
The Punisher

Night of the Living Dead

Next in line are; Dawn of the Dead (1978), Day of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead (2004), and Land of the Dead.
Old 10-30-2006, 12:17 PM   #1747
Psychonaut

Thank you for Smoking

Probably one of the best films i've seen this year.

Who knew America could make such a great satire.

It was hilarious from Rob Lowes movie agent (EGO ) to the performance of Aaron Eckhart at the talk show I was busting a gut. I esp liked the bit when on a "what does my parent do" day at his kids school he cross examine this little girl who said her mommy said smoking was bad. - Is your mommy a doctor? no. She's hardly a credible witness then. :lol:

Funniest piece of American satire sine "American Psycho" although the death count is higher from smoking.

People, what is going on out there? I look down this table, all I see are white flags. Our numbers are down all across the board. Teen smoking, our bread and butter, is falling like a shit from heaven! We don't sell Tic Tacs for Christ's sake. We sell cigarettes. And they're cool and available and *addictive*. The job is almost done for us!

Nick Naylor: Right there, looking into Joey's eyes, it all came back in a rush. Why I do what I do. Defending the defenseless, protecting the disenfranchised corporations that have been abandoned by their very own consumers: the logger, the sweatshop foreman, the oil driller, the land mine developer, the baby seal poacher ...
Polly Bailey: Baby seal poacher?
Bobby Jay Bliss: Even *I* think that's kind of cruel.
Old 10-31-2006, 03:13 PM   #1748
The Punisher

Stander

I will be adding this to my DVD collection.

Last edited by [toj.cc]Phantom; 10-31-2006 at 07:13 PM.
Old 10-31-2006, 06:02 PM   #1749
Tell me This is It

Send a message via AIM to Terabin

Anyone watching Halloween movies tonight? I was supposed to have "Carnival of Souls" coming from Netflix today, but it's arriving a day later than it's supposed to! Maybe I'll just watch a Hitchcock instead.
Old 10-31-2006, 06:14 PM   #1750
Rabid Tasmanian Devil

Been watching scary movies all day!! Woot!! So far, I've seen:

-Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2
-TCM 4
-both Jeepers Creepers films
-the original Dark Water
-Halloween 3
-Halloween 5

Right now I'm watching the Chainsaw Awards on Spike. Man, I love Halloween!
Old 10-31-2006, 06:16 PM   #1751
Lovable rogue

The Devil Wears Prada

Best described in one word - disappointing.

I was looking forward to this movie, it was funny in the trailers, the concept for the film seemed to have so much potential, and then I watched it, and everything just flopped.

The movie seemed confused about its identity, it wasn't sure if it was trying to be this or trying to be that, and ultimately failed at being either.

The believability was also questionable. They could have the route of making everything so outrageous that it was acceptably unbelievable, but instead they seemed to want to infer that what was happening was plausible, and it didn't work.

I've run out of steam now and not exactly sure how to wrap this up, so er, I wouldn't say not to watch it, but just don't expect much.

"My mental image of Jat is a gentleman sitting in a leather armchair, wearing a robe. The light in the room is dim and strangely he's not sitting in front of a computer, but next to a small, round table with a box of cigars on." - Jelena

Old 10-31-2006, 07:17 PM   #1752
is not wierd

I had a toss-up tonight between a horror movie (probably Eyes Without a Face) or Sabrina, which I borrowed from somebody and which I've been wanting to see for a little while. I went with Sabrina, couldn't hold the urge any longer despite the holiday. Best part is it was totally worth it; I think I've fallen in love. With Billy Wilder, that is. Pretty soon (next time the library here has it in) I'll be seeing The Apartment, and that'll be my fifth Wilder flick. But already, having seen what I've seen, I can't get enough of the guy. While it's fun to pick apart his movies for all their images and subtleties, it's really more fun to just surrender to his charms and his always engaging characters and stories.

I might have to rewatch Breakfast at Tiffany's, which I've never really given much a chance to, but now I kinda like Audrey Hepburn. Additionally, this is probably my favorite Bogie performance, and Bill Holden's always great. But for me, Wilder is the star, even despite how much I fell in love with the characters, especially Sabrina. Sigh....
Old 11-04-2006, 01:02 PM   #1753
Psychonaut

Borat: Cultural Learnings Of America For Make Benefit Glorious Nation Of Kazakhstan

Hi my name is a Borat. I from Kazakhstan.

Come see my film.

It is a disgusting, racist, insulting road trip across the US from New York to California to meet my love Pamela Anderson and make romantic spurtings upon her stomach.

Along the way we will secret film me interacting and insulting various real people in the hope of getting a laugh at their awkardness and racist comments. See me get a Rodeo crowd cheering at George Bush drinking the blood of all iraquis, before defacing the US Anthem with rude lyrics about Kazakhstan, See me roll around naked with a fat man on a bed with his crotch in my face or watch me have dinner in an Alabama mansion and invite an unappropriate guest.

Thing is it's bloody funny, but it's an uncomfortable funny. Some of the jokes you just will not believe he got away with, some of the real attitudes portrayed are pretty bad, and the portrayal of Jews will make you squirm.

Certainly not for the easily offended.
Old 11-04-2006, 01:36 PM   #1754
is not wierd

I saw that, I don't remember if I posted about it or not...

In any case, it's a very intelligent comedy that will make you feel guilty for laughing.
Old 11-04-2006, 02:42 PM   #1755
OUATIJ Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiwak View Post
Pretty soon (next time the library here has it in) I'll be seeing The Apartment, and that'll be my fifth Wilder flick. But already, having seen what I've seen, I can't get enough of the guy.
Yeah, he's great. I can't believe you haven't seen The Apartment yet. I'm guessing you've seen the other biggies though like Double Indemnity, The Lost Weekend, Some Like it Hot, Sunset Boulevard, etc.? Oh wait, if you've only seen four so far then one of those (at least) has to be missing since you've seen Sabrina! Which of those haven't you seen? Anyway, other really good Wilder films I can name off the top of my head:

Stalag 17
Witness For the Prosecution
The Private Life of Sherlock Holmes
& for fun, The Seven Year Itch

I think all of his films have value, and are worth seeing. My favorite is probably Sunset Boulevard.
Old 11-04-2006, 02:54 PM   #1756
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Once A Villain View Post
Yeah, he's great. I can't believe you haven't seen The Apartment yet. I'm guessing you've seen the other biggies though like Double Indemnity, The Lost Weekend, Some Like it Hot, Sunset Boulevard, etc.? Oh wait, if you've only seen four so far then one of those (at least) has to be missing since you've seen Sabrina!
Well, nobody's perfect.
Old 11-04-2006, 03:10 PM   #1757
is not wierd

What I've seen so far:
Double Indemnity (1944)
Sunset Boulevard (1950)
Sabrina (1954)
Some Like it Hot (1959)
[after these messages] The Apartment (1960) (I was literally walking into the library to check it out and I saw some douchebag fagget cocksucker walking around with it - I was so angry...and I haven't seen it there since despite checking every goddamned day)

I can't get a hold of any others at the moment, but as soon as I can I certainly will. My film teacher also really likes Stalag 17, she tells me. And I wanna see Seven Year Itch at the very least for Marilyn Monroe, even though it's not considered one of his best.
Old 11-04-2006, 05:48 PM   #1758
OUATIJ Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFGNCAAP View Post
Well, nobody's perfect.
Nice one. That has to be one of the most famous closing lines in film history.
Old 11-04-2006, 07:14 PM   #1759
is not wierd

Totally. Jack Lemmon's whole character arc was so bizarre. He actually gets to the point where he forgets he's a man.
Old 11-04-2006, 07:40 PM   #1760
Super Moderator

I read the first part of the Salon review of Borat and found this interesting:

Quote:
Great humor is often cruel, and by laughing, we -- the audience -- are complicit in that cruelty. "Borat: Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan," the faux documentary starring (and conceived by) English comedian Sacha Baron Cohen and directed by Larry Charles, is a pure example of the way good satire can never be clean, either for the perpetrator or for the viewer. The movie has already attracted some controversy: The Anti-Defamation League has released a statement about it, acknowledging that Cohen uses "humor to unmask the absurd and irrational side of anti-Semitism and other phobias born of ignorance and fear" before moving in for the clincher: "We are concerned, however, that one serious pitfall is that the audience may not always be sophisticated enough to get the joke, and that some may even find it reinforcing their bigotry."

But that, I'm afraid, is the way the knish crumbles. If the public needs to be protected from humor, then there's no way humor can do its job -- particularly if that job is sometimes a dirty one.
Oh and to put my two cents in on Billy Wilder, I've only seen Sabrina and Stalag 17 and loved them both. Obviously (well to me at least), Hogan's Heroes is a take on Stalag 17 but the movie does it much, much better (and there are funny parts which work very well in an otherwise dark movie).