You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Recent movies seen

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-22-2006, 02:20 PM   #1721
is not wierd

Wow, uh, well firstly I completely disagree with you about The Lady Eve. I thought it was hilarious; the physical comedy as well as Stanwyck's sly tricks with Fonda and with her father. Simply stated, she and Henry Fonda were magnificent, as were the supporting cast (many of which seem to be Sturges regulars).

Sullivan's Travels is a little more...interesting, perhaps. It's about a director that makes escapist movies but decides to make a socio-political picture. Told he knows nothing of trouble, he determinedly sets out on a voyage with only $0.10. The first half or so is interesting, and if you think Joel McCrea's relationship with Veronika Lake lacks chemistry on top of the Fonda-Stanwyck one I'll just assume you're crazy from now on. Then it gets oddly serious, which is delightful considering Sturges suddenly turns it inadvertently into a socio-political picture. Since you plan on seeing it I won't divulge what happens, though. I liked it, but I found myself more engaged by the romance and serpentine plot of Lady Eve, personally.

Unfaithfully Yours was probably the most interesting structurally. Rex Harrison is a composer madly in love with his wife Daphne who's also madly in love with him. Having just returned from a trip, he learns his dimwit half-brother had Daphne followed by a dick because he misinterpreted soemthing the composer said as he was leaving. Although he never reads the material, he begins to suspect his wife of having an affair with his (male) secretary. That's the first 30 minutes or so. Then comes the big concert he's conducting, during which he entertains fantasies showing three separate ways he deals with it (each one marked by a new movement in the piece and by the camera moving right into his eye as he conducts), including an elaborate murder plot and Russian roulette. That's another 30 minutes or so. Then for some time he tries to act out his fantasies but fails miserably (where the physical comedy comes in) and then it ends happily. It was probably the least funny fo the three I saw, but Harrison has some fast-paced dialogue and actually pulls off some funny slapstick, and whoever played the wife was absolutely adorable. I don't personally see why it's not as well-regarded as his earlier movies.

In short, I figure if you didn't like Lady Eve you might like his more complex pictures, but the comedy will be very similar, I'm afraid.
Old 10-22-2006, 03:20 PM   #1722
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiwak View Post
...Cuaron's Children of Men.
I keep meaning to throw my 2 cents in. I had no idea this was a movie until I saw it mentioned here. I only know of it as a book (albeit one I've only heard of and never read). It's by P.D. James who is primarily known for her mysteries and not science fiction. She's an extremely interesting lady to read about. Since I've read practically all of her mysteries, I need to get this and read it.

It'll be interesting to see what you all think of the movie (I probably need to reread the past few pages, maybe someone has already seen it) and I'd be curious if any of you have read the book.
Old 10-22-2006, 09:21 PM   #1723
The Punisher

Send a message via ICQ to [toj.cc]Phantom Send a message via AIM to [toj.cc]Phantom Send a message via MSN to [toj.cc]Phantom Send a message via Yahoo to [toj.cc]Phantom

Doom

This is a travesty to the game. Out of the 10 or so monsters, they use 4. They call the BFG the Bio Force Gun. There are like seven marines, only one in the game. The monsters are mutants, in the game they are demons that come out of portals to Hell that scientists discover. The crappy martial arts fight at the end. And The Rock's crappy acting. = 1 horrible movie.
Old 10-23-2006, 03:03 AM   #1724
Party On Dudes

reality bites, awesome film.

winona ryder, so damn hot.

edit: the doom comment above is untouchable, no-one has the right to criticise it. it's bulletproof.

www.myspace.com/rabhiphop

Last edited by SCRUGAtes13; 10-23-2006 at 03:07 AM. Reason: snackle's and monkee's
Old 10-23-2006, 05:48 PM   #1725
The Punisher

Send a message via ICQ to [toj.cc]Phantom Send a message via AIM to [toj.cc]Phantom Send a message via MSN to [toj.cc]Phantom Send a message via Yahoo to [toj.cc]Phantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCRUGAtes13 View Post
reality bites, awesome film.

winona ryder, so damn hot.

edit: the doom comment above is untouchable, no-one has the right to criticise it. it's bulletproof.
I'm finding it hard to tell if your being sarcastic or not. I hope your not...but who knows.
Old 10-23-2006, 06:25 PM   #1726
is not wierd

He was being sarcastic.
Old 10-23-2006, 06:43 PM   #1727
The Punisher

Quote:
He was being sarcastic.
That's fine, the movie still sucked though. And if you actually think it was good, then your an idiot.
Old 10-23-2006, 06:52 PM   #1728
is not wierd

I can't speak for scrug, but it's definitely possible to agree with an opinion and still disagree with the reasoning.
Old 10-23-2006, 07:16 PM   #1729
The Punisher

Quote:
I can't speak for scrug, but it's definitely possible to agree with an opinion and still disagree with the reasoning.
Well, what I was trying to say was that it sucked because it was so far from the game, the only thing that connected the two is the title.
Old 10-26-2006, 08:46 PM   #1730
Tell me This is It

Send a message via AIM to Terabin

I just saw Renoir's "The Rules of the Game." Everybit the masterpiece that critics say it is. Once the party that takes up most of the second half gets underway, it's a wild ride, and oddly enough, an emotional one. We care about these characters. I know it's probably a cliche comparison, but I saw the film as a better, more visually-oriented version of Gosford Park. Similar narrative material and themes. Very different feel to it. "The Rules of the Game" has that inexplicable emotional power to it that I can't really explain about a lot of movies. Anyway, I'm rambling. See it.
Old 10-26-2006, 10:04 PM   #1731
OUATIJ Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terabin View Post
I just saw Renoir's "The Rules of the Game." Everybit the masterpiece that critics say it is. Once the party that takes up most of the second half gets underway, it's a wild ride, and oddly enough, an emotional one. We care about these characters. I know it's probably a cliche comparison, but I saw the film as a better, more visually-oriented version of Gosford Park. Similar narrative material and themes. Very different feel to it. "The Rules of the Game" has that inexplicable emotional power to it that I can't really explain about a lot of movies. Anyway, I'm rambling. See it.
It's in my Top 10. Maybe even my Top 5. Amazing movie.
Old 10-26-2006, 10:21 PM   #1732
Citizen of Bizarro World

Prestige rocks
Under land of no free! Am us home coward-leeee!

~Excerpt from the Bizarro Anthem
Old 10-27-2006, 03:52 AM   #1733
is not wierd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Once A Villain View Post
It's in my Top 10. Maybe even my Top 5. Amazing movie.
It used to be. Then it just kinda fell off. Guess I should try to see it again....
Old 10-27-2006, 04:35 AM   #1734
Rabid Tasmanian Devil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maquisard View Post
Prestige rocks

Really?!? I couldn't stand it, compared to The Illusionist. And usually I like that director's movies, like Memento and Batman Begins. Although, it has been fun going to IMDB and reading some of the possible plot explanations...some are pretty "out there".
Old 10-27-2006, 11:05 AM   #1735
OUATIJ Creator

Quote:
It used to be. Then it just kinda fell off. Guess I should try to see it again....
Yeah for sure. I'm not saying it will be the same for you as it was for me, but it was sliding off my list too until I got my hands on the new Criterion DVD about two years ago or whenever it came out. All my love for the film returned after that.
Old 10-27-2006, 03:21 PM   #1736
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

I don't know why I'm so late in seeing films (well, I do... it's because I'm a cheapskate), but I've just seen V for Vendetta.

I enjoyed it, but then I've never read the graphic novel and so have no idea how much they butchered it. That and no Brit would ever pronounce the word "lever" like that, surely .

But seriously, I enjoyed it. I suspect that a lot of people would hate it, though.

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 10-27-2006, 06:07 PM   #1737
Elegantly copy+pasted

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeisureSuitedLooney View Post
Really?!? I couldn't stand it, compared to The Illusionist. And usually I like that director's movies, like Memento and Batman Begins. Although, it has been fun going to IMDB and reading some of the possible plot explanations...some are pretty "out there".
I refuse to dig through the drek that is IMDBs forums and comments, but what the hell is there to speculate about? Doesn't the movie reveal everything you might care to know by the end?

My big problem with The Prestige was that the plot twists were so easily guessable. (So was the twist in The Illusionist, but at least Edward Norton got to fake a brilliant Austrian accent.)
Old 10-27-2006, 06:27 PM   #1738
The Punisher

Saw 3
Old 10-27-2006, 07:44 PM   #1739

L'Age D'Or - seen it twice now, and...I don't really find it engaging. Maybe if I knew more about that time period I could appreciate it more.
Old 10-27-2006, 07:54 PM   #1740
Citizen of Bizarro World

Quote:
Originally Posted by After a brisk nap View Post
I refuse to dig through the drek that is IMDBs forums and comments, but what the hell is there to speculate about? Doesn't the movie reveal everything you might care to know by the end?

My big problem with The Prestige was that the plot twists were so easily guessable. (So was the twist in The Illusionist, but at least Edward Norton got to fake a brilliant Austrian accent.)
I haven't seen the Illusionist yet. Sounds like I'll have to now.

BTW, I didn't feel like realizing that

Spoiler:
the guy with the hat, beard & glasses was the British magician's double/twin

early on ruined Prestige for me. On the contrary, it helped prevent a total "WTF?!" moment at the end.
Under land of no free! Am us home coward-leeee!

~Excerpt from the Bizarro Anthem