Recent movies seen - Page 83 - Adventure Forums
You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Recent movies seen

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-24-2006, 08:00 PM   #1641
It's Hard To Be Humble

I can't precisely remember which movie I watched most recently. So instead, I'll mention the one we were going to see tonight, until our schedule made us late: The Illusionist.
Old 09-24-2006, 08:12 PM   #1642
Rabid Tasmanian Devil

The Illusionist was a fun movie, been seeing ads for one that looks exactly like it, though: The Prestige. Been wondering if I should bother, as it looks so similar.
Old 09-25-2006, 05:25 AM   #1643
The Thread™ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiwak View Post
I guess that's respectable, just a very mainstream-movie-goer type of opinion, though. A movie has to have a narrative that has a point, character development, some humor, a big acting scene for the Oscar reels, story-based rather than imagery-based ideas, etc etc. That's not meant to be condescending, just how your average joe movie-goer thinks, I believe.
So what does 2001 actually offer? Some pretty visuals for an overly long running time and a plot that makes no sense? Perhaps I am shallow; I can happily accept that some people see it as art, but I just find it all a bit pointless. I didn't walk away from the film thinking anything other than that it was incredibly boring.

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 09-25-2006, 08:33 AM   #1644
OUATIJ Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLacey
So what does 2001 actually offer? Some pretty visuals for an overly long running time and a plot that makes no sense?
RLacey, there's nothing necessarily wrong with your opinion, but given the fact that you think the plot makes no sense, perhaps you should watch it again. It makes perfect sense, it just refuses to spoon feed the viewer like so many bloated Hollywood epics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLacey
Regardless of whether that was his message or not, it left me as a viewer feeling bored rather than thoughtful. It didn't work.
There are plenty of people who have watched 2001 because of its reputation, rushing to see it and coming away disappointed. I believe they go into it with the wrong mindset. I can think of only Tarkovasky's Solaris when I think of films that share the leisurely pace of 2001 in the sci/fi genre, most sci/fi films are interested in action scenes over ideas. 2001 is a film of riches that don't all emerge on the first, or even second, viewing. Anyway, I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything. 2001's place in film history can't be changed. It's legendary and influential. A classic. So obviously...it worked for someone. Heh.
Old 09-25-2006, 11:10 AM   #1645
is not wierd

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLacey View Post
So what does 2001 actually offer? Some pretty visuals for an overly long running time and a plot that makes no sense? Perhaps I am shallow; I can happily accept that some people see it as art, but I just find it all a bit pointless. I didn't walk away from the film thinking anything other than that it was incredibly boring.
I won't answer that question as OAV already did, and probably more eloquently than I could. But yea, what 2001 offers isn't the list of typical movie conventions I listed earlier. It's a movie that relishes in ideas and imagery to convey said ideas. But unlike typically cynical and pessimistic intellectual fare, 2001 is very optimistic and hopeful. The last shot was a grand exit for Bowman the human, as he became the next evolution for man.

This is the kind of movie whose every frame could be studied, much like Kubrick's own Clockwork Orange and Eyes Wide Shut. He puts so much effort into making every shot convey so many things. His movies aren't typically made for the masses, or at least appreciated fully by the masses (post Strangelove, anyway).
Old 09-26-2006, 06:46 AM   #1646
gin soaked boy

Box of Moonlight. Another one with Sam Rockwell and his full frontal nakedness. Cute and genuinely quirky, but not as good as Lawn Dogs.
Old 09-26-2006, 06:56 AM   #1647
The Greater

Send a message via AIM to Giligan

I personally found 2001 to simply be wacky. Especially the last scene. (???)
Old 09-26-2006, 07:47 AM   #1648
Hitch-Hiker

Send a message via MSN to Dasilva

Im going to see CLICK with one of my girl friends, should be fun, I was going to watch World Trade Centre but I dont feel like a sad movie.

"If you don't get out of the box you've been raised in, you won't understand how much bigger the world is." - Angelina Jolie

_

<Susan falls through the floor and gets stuck>
<Paco looks at her blankly>
"Whats wrong with you?! Lassy would of had a firetruck here by now!"
- Susan Mayer, Desperate Housewives
Old 09-26-2006, 07:52 AM   #1649
Rabid Tasmanian Devil

Quote:
Originally Posted by insane_cobra View Post
Cute and genuinely quirky, but not as good as Lawn Dogs.
The movie or the nudity? lol
Old 09-26-2006, 09:00 AM   #1650

I saw Exotica again on DVD. It's one of this movies that get better each time I watch them, and that leave me thoughful every time, too.
This movie epitomize what I want a movie to be; enthralling, beautiful, sensual, dark, a tad perverse, and very human. with great music, too.

So if anyone has similar movies to recommend...
Old 09-26-2006, 10:06 AM   #1651
is not wierd

Ah I really wanna see Exotica, and Sweet Hereafter.
Old 09-26-2006, 10:16 AM   #1652
The Greater

Send a message via AIM to Giligan

I highly recommend Kelly's Heroes.
Old 09-26-2006, 10:54 AM   #1653
Rabid Tasmanian Devil

The Sweet Hereafter....that's an amazing film! The lawyer character was soooo slick, working on all of their emotions the way he did. Love the glance at the end too, between him and the bus driver.
Old 09-26-2006, 10:56 AM   #1654

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giligan View Post
I highly recommend Kelly's Heroes.
Kelly's Heroes is an awesome film...
Old 09-30-2006, 11:21 AM   #1655
Psychonaut

Clerks II

Kevin Smith is a genius.

Clerks II is the funniest, crudest, most non-PC comedy i've seen in years. How many dick jokes can you fit in one film.

Don't drink while watching this movie unless you want to choke or spray the people in front of you.

I was laughing so hard I think I coughed up something.

Every film should have an 'interspecies erotic' scene in a Fast Food joint in it. It's too fu**in funny for words.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Randal Graves: Emma, are you like this because you have an oversized clit?
Emma: You just HAD to tell him, didn't you?
Dante Hicks: It kind of came out one day!
Randal Graves: He says it's almost like a little cock, which says all sorts of weird things about him that I don't even want to think about.
Old 09-30-2006, 02:55 PM   #1656
Super Moderator

*orders chest x-ray for Lucien*

Just to make sure you're OK.

I missed this when it was released in the US. I'll definitely watch it on DVD as I loved the first one and from your mini review, I highly doubt I'll be disappointed. Maybe if I'm lucky they'll have a two-fer with Clerks I and II for sale when it comes out on DVD.

Last edited by Melanie68; 09-30-2006 at 03:48 PM.
Old 09-30-2006, 04:40 PM   #1657
is not wierd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucien21 View Post
Kevin Smith is a genius.
That's an affront to geniuses everywhere.
Old 09-30-2006, 04:46 PM   #1658
OUATIJ Creator

I think the only great Kevin Smith film is Chasing Amy. Because it was so personal, one could see that a lot of the real Kevin Smith was in that movie.
Old 09-30-2006, 04:58 PM   #1659
is not wierd

Agreed. Dogma is the next best.

Anyway, as has been the case recently I haven't really been posting my movies. Here are a couple I really liked:

The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance - probably the best "death of the West" Westerns I've seen. Everything in this movie is great, from both an entertainment perspective and an intellectual one.

Some Like it Hot - if I didn't like Dr Strangelove so damn much I'd say this could be making a run for the best comedy, along with Annie Hall. So much subtle, yet at the same time blatant, sexuality. This is my first Marilyn Monroe viewing experience and she was just as sexy and funny as I've always heard. She nearly steals the movie from the outrageous Jack Lemmon and Tony Curtis.
Old 09-30-2006, 05:27 PM   #1660
Super Moderator

"I'm not even supposed to be here today" - Dante (Clerks)

"It's impossible, Lois could never have Superman's baby. Do you think her fallopian tubes could handle the sperm? I gurantee you he blows a load like a shotgun right through her back. What about her womb? Do you think it's strong enough to carry her child?" - Brodie (Mallrats)

""You know there are a lot of women but not all of them cook you lasagna, most of them just cheat on you..." - Silent Bob (Clerks)

"Bullshit! Eateries that operate within the designated square downstairs qualify as food court, anything operating outside the said designated square is considered an autonomous unit for mid-mall snacking." - Brodie (Mallrats)

I just needed to add my 2 cents for Kevin Smith.

Last edited by Melanie68; 09-30-2006 at 05:32 PM.