You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Recent movies seen

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2006, 02:32 PM   #1601
gin soaked boy

Lawn Dogs

This one goes straight to my favorite movies list. Sam Rockwell is the epitome of cool and Mischa Barton was SO cute when she was a kid.

Lawn Dogs deserves to be at least as well known (and loved) as The Ice Storm.
Old 09-11-2006, 11:28 AM   #1602
Psychonaut

little MISS SUNSHINE

Oh so wants to be a Wes Anderson movie. Take one disfunctional family (Father worst motivational guru on the planet. Son with vow of silence and a Neitchze fascination, Mother barely holding it together, Gay suicidal brother, Grandad who is snorting coke and a little Ugly Duckling girl who wants to win a beauty pagent) lock them in a van on a cross country drive of enlightenment to a little MISS SUNSHINE pagent.

It was funny and sad at the same time, the performances were spot on, but somehow I wasn't as enamered with the film as critics were suggesting. Good, but not brilliant.

Right at your Door

Superb film that felt more like a documentary. Most of the action centres around the two lead characters and one house.

Terrorists set off 3 "dirty bombs" in LA during rush hour which sends up poisened ash clouds. Husband stuck at home, wife was on the way to work LA is quarantined with people told to seal up their houses, don't let anyone in as anyone exposed could be a fatal carrier. Wife comes back home but is infected. Cue lots of heartfelt conversations and phone calls as nobody knows what is going on. The confusion is told mostly via the constant radio on in the background as the drama unfolds.

The film captures perfectly the confusion and terror following an attack of such magnitude. (or at least what I imagine would happen)

One hell of a twist in the tale at the end.

Excellent.
Old 09-11-2006, 11:38 AM   #1603
Rabid Tasmanian Devil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucien21

Right at your Door

Superb film that felt more like a documentary. Most of the action centres around the two lead characters and one house.

Terrorists set off 3 "dirty bombs" in LA during rush hour which sends up poisened ash clouds. Husband stuck at home, wife was on the way to work LA is quarantined with people told to seal up their houses, don't let anyone in as anyone exposed could be a fatal carrier. Wife comes back home but is infected. Cue lots of heartfelt conversations and phone calls as nobody knows what is going on. The confusion is told mostly via the constant radio on in the background as the drama unfolds.

The film captures perfectly the confusion and terror following an attack of such magnitude. (or at least what I imagine would happen)

One hell of a twist in the tale at the end.

Excellent.
Did you see this in theaters, DVD, or tv? Sounds cool!! Now I wanna see it!!
Old 09-11-2006, 11:49 AM   #1604
Psychonaut

I saw it at the Cinema.
Old 09-11-2006, 12:10 PM   #1605
gin soaked boy

The Quiet Earth

A slow, contemplative SF movie. Sad, too. All right, but not as good as I hoped it would be.
Old 09-11-2006, 12:19 PM   #1606
Super Moderator

I don't think Right At Your Door has been released in the states yet. I couldn't find a date when I searched. It was just released Sept. 8 in the UK.
Old 09-11-2006, 01:18 PM   #1607
Rabid Tasmanian Devil

Da-amn. (wants to see it now!!)
Old 09-11-2006, 02:21 PM   #1608
Hitch-Hiker

Send a message via MSN to Dasilva

You me and dupree - A great film, more grown up humour and some great original stuff. I'm definatly getting this on dvd.
Old 09-11-2006, 02:33 PM   #1609
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Edward Scissorhands

It's been literally years since I saw this. Depp is great, as is the direction and music. And I'm a sucker for movies in which the ultimate feeling is one of futility.

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 09-13-2006, 07:05 AM   #1610

Lucky Number Slevin

Surprisingly good actually! The script is smart, funny and well written, direction is fresh and the acting is top notch (Josh Hartnett, Morgan Freeman, Ben Kingsley, Lucy Lui, Bruce Willis)! Seems like Josh Hartnett has finally found a good script, the guy is hilarious in this movie!
Old 09-14-2006, 03:53 PM   #1611
Lovable rogue

The Postman Always Rings Twice, with the exquisite Miss Lana Turner.

"My mental image of Jat is a gentleman sitting in a leather armchair, wearing a robe. The light in the room is dim and strangely he's not sitting in front of a computer, but next to a small, round table with a box of cigars on." - Jelena

Old 09-14-2006, 04:03 PM   #1612
Rabid Tasmanian Devil

Little Miss Sunshine. Funny, and quirky as well.
Old 09-15-2006, 04:19 PM   #1613
In an evening of July...

Finished watching the last season of Millennium. Just like I thought, Carter (or rather the others who did the work for him while he was busy making XFiles S5) killed off most of the main characters and let Frank Black leave the group (which name resembles the title of the series). Only the last few episodes were actually fun watching...

Just saw Taxi Driver for the first time. Loved the overall atmosphere of the movie, supported by the awesome orchestra soundtrack. The shooting scenes maybe went a little over the top, but the nice ending made up for that.

Last edited by kuze; 09-16-2006 at 12:25 PM.
Old 09-15-2006, 08:42 PM   #1614
is not wierd

I've been watching a bunch since I got down here and sadly haven't really bothered to post them here. But today I saw Cronenberg's eXistenZ, and it was sufficiently mind-boggling. I really do like him as a director, and have for a while now (I've seen almost all of his movies, but not quite all yet). Anyway, it's a reality-bending virtual reality Matrix-esque trip that in my opinion proves better than The Matrix. There is the standard Cronenbergian animatronic sex organs, this time in the form of living video game "pods" that plug via an umbilical cord into the spine (the orifice being homologous to the anus). Interestingly the "game" plays much like an adventure game; you have little free will and basically you have to say the right thing or do the right thing to get anywhere. But anyway of course there's some doubt over what's real and what's not all the way through it and the ending is satisfying albeit untidy. Not quite a Cronenberg masterpiece or anything, but a good mark in a pretty much stellar oeveur. I hope he does another animatronic, human body-themed movie soon.
Old 09-15-2006, 08:46 PM   #1615
Feind der Anonymitaet!

Send a message via ICQ to pinkgothic Send a message via AIM to pinkgothic Send a message via Yahoo to pinkgothic

eXistenZ is fun.
Winner of the Second-Best-Dressed and Non-Specific awards in the Unbiased Impostor Awardsâ„¢, amongst many others.

Non-Conformist to Non-Conformismâ„¢
Internet Explodifierâ„¢ - the best weapon of mass destruction!!!11one
Trademark Overuserâ„¢
Old 09-16-2006, 12:18 PM   #1616
Lazy Bee

The Untouchables. One of my favourite movies! Robert De Niro is marvellous. And (Stepurhan) how many stories has a hero-accountant!?
Old 09-16-2006, 01:53 PM   #1617
is not wierd

The Untouchables is very good...stylish. The Odessa Steps sequence alone is worth it.

I ought to check if Black Dahlia came out here...
Old 09-17-2006, 10:52 AM   #1618
OUATIJ Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiwak
The Untouchables is very good...stylish. The Odessa Steps sequence alone is worth it.
Yeah, that was a great homage to the birth of montage.
Old 09-17-2006, 02:02 PM   #1619
is not wierd

One of my teachers tells me that some people belive it a rip-off more than homage. Bullshit! It was so obviously referencing Potemkin, from the cradle to the many shots of sailors walking around. No way in hell such a visually inventive director would need to "rip off" the sequence.

Anyway, I saw Wong Kar-Wai's In the Mood For Love last night. So beautiful. I don't know of any other movie from this decade besides perhaps The New World with such gorgeous photography.
Old 09-18-2006, 08:16 PM   #1620
Super Moderator

Finding Nemo (it's on TV)

Crush: Okay. Squirt here will now give you a rundown of proper exiting technique.
Squirt: Good afternoon. We're gonna have a great jump today. Okay, first crank a hard cutback as you hit the wall. There's a screaming bottom curve, so watch out. Remember: rip it, roll it, and punch it.
Marlin: It's like he's trying to speak to me, I know it.
[to Squirt]
Marlin: Look, you're really cute, but I can't understand what you're saying. say the first thing again.