You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Recent movies seen

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2005, 04:33 AM   #141
Epinionated.

Good, now Trep's a Miyazaki convert... you've got a whole world of amazing films to watch now!

I just bought the box set of Tokyo Godfathers by Satoshi Kon. If you want to see a great film, Trep, I urge you to watch it. Beautiful animation. Possibly the first ever animated homeless drag queen hero/ine too?

Came with a book of the entire storyboard and a DVD of bonus materials extensivley covering the animation technique.
Old 08-07-2005, 06:04 AM   #142
gin soaked boy

Damn! We never get those nice editions, I think ours comes with nothing, maybe a trailer

Anyway, watching Karate Kid at the moment
Old 08-07-2005, 06:38 AM   #143
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

Hey I just got Kung-Fu Hustle on Friday.
Great that I'll finally get to see this newest S.Chow movie.
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 08-08-2005, 06:51 AM   #144
S.P.E.C.I.A.L.

Send a message via MSN to Talas

I saw Bullitt yesterday, the plot is kind of tedious but the car chase is awesome.
Old 08-08-2005, 07:08 AM   #145
Living with my love

Send a message via MSN to Tobbe

I saw Collateral yesterday, great movie! I lik Michael Manns movies..And I also saw: Beck: Pensionat Pärlan..(it´s a swedish crime investigation movie series)
Old 08-08-2005, 07:15 AM   #146
Living with my love

Quote:
Originally Posted by samIamsad

I HAVE THE POWER!

Okay, I've not watched it recently. But I'd like to. Sort of. Haha, and Courtney Cox was in it.

Aaaah!! He-man, my next favourite thing after adventure games, i´m a collector of Vintage motu figures/items, well basically everything relating to vintage motu...I got this film on vhs, though I love he-man, we must admit that this movie wasn´t so good, heard that there´s a new he-man film in progress..Just got all episodes from season one on dvd!!
And they´re all "digitally remastered"!
Old 08-08-2005, 09:13 AM   #147
Mrs. Bear

Send a message via AIM to natalia

This weekend I watched Chicago and Garden State. I thought Chicago was fantastic. I have to admit that I'm a sucker for cheesy musicals, so I watched Phantom of the Opera as well, which was just dreck. I mean why even transfer it to the big screen if you're not going to take advantage of the medium your working in. Chicago was much, much better. I liked Garden State, too. It was amusing (although overly conscious of its own quirkiness) and I thought the ending was kind of tired. But still a good rental.
Old 08-08-2005, 10:17 AM   #148
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

I saw Aliens for the first time today (don't laugh). I thought it was better than the first film, though this might be because all the surprises in the original had been spoiled for me.

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 08-08-2005, 05:11 PM   #149
capsized.

Quote:
Originally Posted by t_manelius
Aaaah!! He-man, my next favourite thing after adventure games, i´m a collector of Vintage motu figures/items, well basically everything relating to vintage motu...
What about the games? I know of at least three and I had two of them.

The Ilearth Stone (Adventure Soft UK)

Masters Of The Universe (the movie game) (Gremlin, I think)

Super Adventure (US Gold)

Never played that text adventure, though.

RLacey: There's something moving and it ain't us!
WAAAAH!
Old 08-09-2005, 02:19 AM   #150
gin soaked boy

There's also a new PS2 one.
Old 08-09-2005, 05:45 AM   #151
Living with my love

Quote:
Originally Posted by samIamsad
What about the games? I know of at least three and I had two of them.

The Ilearth Stone (Adventure Soft UK)

Masters Of The Universe (the movie game) (Gremlin, I think)

Super Adventure (US Gold)

Never played that text adventure, though.

RLacey: There's something moving and it ain't us!
WAAAAH!

I want those games so bad, I know they excist, haven´t found them anywhere, so if anyone from AG got them and want to sell the then PM me!
Old 08-09-2005, 05:46 AM   #152
Living with my love

Quote:
Originally Posted by insane_cobra
There's also a new PS2 one.
Yep, and if i´m lucky i´ll win it an a auction today, for only 13 euros!
Old 08-19-2005, 11:48 PM   #153
merely human

Finally saw Dirty Pretty Things. Very nice. Aside from it seeming mechanical and not drawn out enough at times, it was expertly low key, smart, terse, and even clever here and there. A nice, wicked little contemporary noir thriller inside an intimate, socio-political wrapping.

Also rented Eat Drink Man Woman. Anyone else here see it? It was so sweet and sour - Ha! Nice movie about a lonely but devoted widower and master Chinese chef who can't seem to directly express his deep love for his three self-consumed, libidinous daughters, so instead ritually cooks them up an extravagant weekly dinner. The plot twist near the end is hilarious, and the closure, disarmingly touching.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 08-19-2005, 11:59 PM   #154
Living with my love

Saw Blade 3 Trinity yesterday, nothing special, good fun both nothing more..
Old 08-20-2005, 12:46 AM   #155
The Reggienator

Yesterday I watched the Battlestar Galactica pilot "movie", it's more like a miniseries, but on dvd it was cut like a movie and it lasted three hours.

Now that was fun.
A lot more fun than the original.
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 08-20-2005, 12:54 AM   #156
Epinionated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens

Finally saw Dirty Pretty Things. Very nice. Aside from it seeming mechanical and not drawn out enough at times, it was expertly low key, smart, terse, and even clever here and there. A nice, wicked little contemporary noir thriller inside an intimate, socio-political wrapping.

Also rented Eat Drink Man Woman. Anyone else here see it? It was so sweet and sour - Ha! Nice movie about a lonely but devoted widower and master Chinese chef who can't seem to directly express his deep love for his three self-consumed, libidinous daughters, so instead ritually cooks them up an extravagant weekly dinner. The plot twist near the end is hilarious, and the closure, disarmingly touching.
Loved both of those films. Dirty Pretty Things was a nice suprise!

Got drunk at an animation get-together last night and spent the night at a mates house watching a film. I don't react well to drink, just makes me feel ill, so The Machinist made me feel much better as merely looking at Christian Bale in that state does that to you.

The bit where he sucks in his guts is appalling. Seriously, he's one trippy dude.

As for the film, it's not bad, but it's not as clever as it thinks it is. I was accused of presuming too much by my mate when I figured out the entire thing before half-way through. Was later proved right. That said, well acted, nicely shot and edited and more than a little creepy. Just don't expect anything too startling other than Bale's waistline.
Old 08-20-2005, 05:34 AM   #157
Just charging up

Recently seen movies include;

The Gathering:

(The title and front used almost made me think it was a music DVD...not really though)
Nice story, well told if somewhat predictable. Christina Ricci made up for anything the movie could have done wrong though.

Blackball:

Brilliant British comedy about bowls starring Paul Kaye of Dennis Pennis fame.
Second half of the movie got a bit too serious and emotional and thus a bit out of place but the ending made up for it.
All in all way better than I expected it to be or than rated on IMDB.

The Fifth Element:

Don't know why I waited as long as I did to see this one but I liked it.
Not too pretencious and I loved the art direction, very French thus very likeable.
Oh, and Gary Oldman was hilarious in this one...

Batman Begins:

Liked the restored dark atmosphere eventhough it was trying to be too realistic compared to the more fantasy driven Tim Burton Batman movies.
Hence; too many plotholes...
So the the second one is still my favourite.
However I really did like this one despite of Katie Holmes and that's saying a lot in my book.
( )

The Skeleton Key:

Saw this one in the cinema yesterday.
It was a strange evening since I just broke up with my girlfriend with whom I had been in a steady relationship for three years.
But since it was a friendly break up (is there really such a thing?) and I had already paid for the tickets we decided to go as planned.
(eventhough we actually split up a few hours before going to the theatre...)
The movie itself was nice though not as good as I thought it would be after reading some raving reviews.
The build-up was a bit too slow for my liking and the plot itself predictable (or perhaps I just think too much or too strange... )
But the ending was still the best possible ending for the story.
The acting as well as the directing were also nicely done and I really liked the fact that the movie didn't take the easy blood & gore way out.
So still a really nice movie that I won't hesitate to recommend.
Old 08-20-2005, 08:43 AM   #158
OUATIJ Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by squarejawhero
Loved both of those films.
Me too. Heh.
Old 08-22-2005, 06:05 AM   #159
Mrs. Bear

Send a message via AIM to natalia

I loved Eat Drink Man Woman, but I'm a sucker for good food movies (My all time favorite being Babette's Feast). Haven't seen Dirty Pretty Things -- is it good enough to add to a Netflix queue?

I loved Alien and Aliens -- for a while in college my friends would randomly quote lines for Aliens (Hicks: "Game over man, game over!), but I couldn't really get into the later ones.

This weekend we watched iRobot (which I liked a lot) and The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou (sp?). I wanted to like The Life Aquatic, but it felt like Payne (that's the director, right?) was trying to hard. I dunno, I just actually got bored in the middle of the movie and started doing errands. We've got Time Bandits up next.
Old 08-22-2005, 10:42 AM   #160
The Reggienator

Last weekend I watched:

Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy

Now this movie was fun, just like Will Ferrell's movies usually are. Christina Applegate didn't really nail her part, but she was ok.

Robots

A bit cliché story, but very nice animation for a 3D movie. It can't be compared with Pixar quality, but there where some scenes that reached the AWESOME level.

The Crow: Wicked Prayer

The worst movie I have ever seen, even worse than Ep 3. Holy shait... I'm never going to watch a movie that has Tara Reid in it. That girl just can't act. And also is ugly as hell. I'm not wondering at all why this movie was put straight-to-DVD.