You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Recent movies seen

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-04-2005, 11:45 PM   #121
merely human

Hey Ninth! Am viewing some Earthcams of Paris right now. Overcast. Pantheon looks really atmosphere at this moment.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 08-05-2005, 12:02 AM   #122

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
Hey Ninth! Am viewing some Earthcams of Paris right now. Overcast. Pantheon looks really atmosphere at this moment.
The area surrounding the Pantheon (le "quartier latin") is my favorite place in Paris.
Old 08-05-2005, 12:06 AM   #123
merely human

Nice. Also, I'm now eating a slice of quiche lorraine (which I made myself). You French are annoying in conversation sometimes, but damn, you give good edibles!
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 08-05-2005, 12:10 AM   #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
Nice. Also, I'm now eating a slice of quiche lorraine (which I made myself). You French are annoying in conversation sometimes, but damn, you give good edibles!
Well, you US people are annoying in conversation sometimes, but damn, you give good edib... oh wait.
Old 08-05-2005, 01:09 AM   #125
OUATIJ Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninth
I like your sig. (A bout de Souffle was great, too bad Godard indulges in self-centric, obscure, pseudo philosophical movies nowadays)
Thanks! Yeah, it is definitely too bad that Godard sucks these days. But it honestly might be an age thing. A lot of filmmakers lose their skill as they get older. Kurosawa lost his. Unfortunately he assumed he had lost his skill even earlier than he actually did and attempted suicide by multiple razor slashes... Luckily for film fanatics, he survived and went on to make Dersu Uzala, Kagemusha, and Ran before he finally decide to suck for real. Heh.
Old 08-05-2005, 10:58 PM   #126
OB

Quote:
Originally Posted by temporaryscars
So...blood and black smoke equals fertilizer? Blood doesn't fertilize anything!
Why not? It's fantasy, fiction, not real. Who says the aliens haven't developed a way to do so? You know, alien technology. I really didn't give this a 2nd thought after seeing it the first time...it was all pretty cut and dry and obvious.

Quote:
War of the Worlds will never be considered in the same league as 2001.
I hate 2001. I love Kubrick, but my God, I hate 2001. Bleh. I thought the homage in Charlie in the Chocolate Factor was clever, though. I wonder how many of the little people realized what that was? WoTW blows it away. Pure escapism fun and I change my mind...it is Spielberg's best film. He can cringe all he wants. It's a masterpiece.

Last edited by Orange Brat; 08-05-2005 at 11:08 PM.
Old 08-05-2005, 11:15 PM   #127
OUATIJ Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange Brat
I hate 2001. My God, I hate 2001. Bleh. WoTW blows it away.
A fine, detailed bit of criticism there. It doesn't change what I said though. War of the Worlds will never be considered in the same league as 2001. 2001 is a work of art, while War of the Worlds is EXACTLY what you said...just mindless escapism. Perhaps you prefer mindless escapism over movies that promote thought, and that's fine. But in twenty years when no one remembers War of the Worlds (except as the name of a film in Spielberg's body of work), 2001 will still be studied, loved, etc. It could definitely be considered a slow film, but it's so damn brilliant.
Old 08-05-2005, 11:40 PM   #128
SamNMax

Agree.

Old 08-06-2005, 04:46 AM   #129
Feind der Anonymitaet!

Send a message via ICQ to pinkgothic Send a message via AIM to pinkgothic Send a message via Yahoo to pinkgothic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Once A Villain
However, Michael Bay has never made a film that is even close to being good, so, I have my doubts.
I didn't much mind Armageddon, but I've not seen others and heard negative things about most titles - so when I heard it was from the same director, I was doubting, too. All I can say is, forget the previous stuff, and enjoy the ride.
Winner of the Second-Best-Dressed and Non-Specific awards in the Unbiased Impostor Awards™, amongst many others.

Non-Conformist to Non-Conformism™
Internet Explodifier™ - the best weapon of mass destruction!!!11one
Trademark Overuser™
Old 08-06-2005, 04:49 AM   #130
Feind der Anonymitaet!

Send a message via ICQ to pinkgothic Send a message via AIM to pinkgothic Send a message via Yahoo to pinkgothic

Quote:
2001 is a work of art, while War of the Worlds is EXACTLY what you said...just mindless escapism.
Ooh, the art debate again. *steps aside, doesn't have time for version 2 of it (s'pposed to be learning for exams), but will note she strongly disagrees in the line you've just drawn*

IMO, 2001 stopped being fun when it started to try surrealism. I'd love to cut off a good deal of the last bits from the movie, and then it'll be a favorite. Right now it's just a good movie in my book.
Winner of the Second-Best-Dressed and Non-Specific awards in the Unbiased Impostor Awards™, amongst many others.

Trademark Overuser™
Old 08-06-2005, 01:43 PM   #131
OUATIJ Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkgothic
IMO, 2001 stopped being fun when it started to try surrealism. I'd love to cut off a good deal of the last bits from the movie, and then it'll be a favorite.
That's why you aren't Stanley Kubrick. But then, neither am I... Still, without the "last bits" of 2001 it wouldn't be as brilliant as it is. The last 30 minutes are poetry. The movie would be ruined without it because that's where the rebirth takes place. It's what all of the monoliths and all of human evolution have led up to. It's basically the whole point. We can't just lose it...

Last edited by Once A Villain; 08-06-2005 at 02:26 PM.
Old 08-06-2005, 03:13 PM   #132
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

I just watched Manos Hands of Fate with my friends.

"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 08-06-2005, 07:37 PM   #133
merely human

Time for me to now cook up a couple smoked franks in dog buns with homemade corn relish, a tall icy glass of soda water, and finally watch Spirited Away!!! (latest movie Netflix sent me) WOOOOO!!!!

Last edited by Intrepid Homoludens; 08-06-2005 at 10:38 PM.
Old 08-06-2005, 07:49 PM   #134
capsized.

I HAVE THE POWER!

Okay, I've not watched it recently. But I'd like to. Sort of. Haha, and Courtney Cox was in it.
Old 08-06-2005, 10:40 PM   #135
merely human

I want me one of them faceless spirits!!! They're awesome!
Old 08-06-2005, 11:46 PM   #136
The Reggienator

Quote:
Originally Posted by samIamsad

I HAVE THE POWER!

Okay, I've not watched it recently. But I'd like to. Sort of. Haha, and Courtney Cox was in it.
Frank Langella is actually very good in this one.
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 08-07-2005, 01:19 AM   #137
capsized.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolzig
Frank Langella is actually very good in this one.
He'll return in Superman Returns.
Old 08-07-2005, 04:01 AM   #138
The Reggienator

Yeah, as Perry White, I know.

He got the role after Hugh Laurie had been first casted as Perry.
Hugh had to go to make 2nd season of House and Frank Langella stepped up.

Old 08-07-2005, 04:18 AM   #139
Feind der Anonymitaet!

Quote:
It's basically the whole point.
It looks like Kubrick was on crack, actually. If that's his point, then millions have missed it. Though, in all seriousness, I'm aware that's the point, I just disagree the movie needs it. As odd as the statement may sound.

Coincidentially, most other Kubrick movies make me want to strangle someone. Kind of like Pulp Fiction.

If my tastes are alternative to the alternative, what does that make me?

[Honestly, I don't mind if anyone agrees with me on Kubrick or not, or on Pulp Fiction, both tend to bore me senseless, but if the art entertains you, kudos. Just not my cup of tea.]

Trademark Overuser™
Old 08-07-2005, 04:28 AM   #140
OUATIJ Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkgothic
Though, in all seriousness, I'm aware that's the point, I just disagree the movie needs it. As odd as the statement may sound.
Doesn't sound odd at all. You just don't think the movie needed a point. Movies without a point can be fun stuff, like War of the Worlds.