You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Recent movies seen

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-04-2005, 06:35 AM   #101
S.P.E.C.I.A.L.

Send a message via MSN to Talas

I saw Manos: The Hands of Fate yesterday. Some people say is the worst movie ever... and some people are correct.

At least it was good for a laugh, it ranged from "so bad it was funny" to "so bad it was really reallly bad"
Old 08-04-2005, 06:55 AM   #102
Feind der Anonymitaet!

Send a message via ICQ to pinkgothic Send a message via AIM to pinkgothic Send a message via Yahoo to pinkgothic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange Brat
[...] How would he know there are more coming and how would he know they buried the machines 1 million years ago? He doesn't... [...]
I know, that's exactly my point! None of the humans in the movie had a clue. It seems a bit naive to me that people think the folk in the movie will be the ones delivering the answers. At best, they can help us come up with answers. Glad you think so, too
Winner of the Second-Best-Dressed and Non-Specific awards in the Unbiased Impostor Awardsâ„¢, amongst many others.

Non-Conformist to Non-Conformismâ„¢
Internet Explodifierâ„¢ - the best weapon of mass destruction!!!11one
Trademark Overuserâ„¢
Old 08-04-2005, 08:36 AM   #103
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkgothic
That's because there aren't Don't listen to the heathens who try so bad to find plotholes and expect the movie to tell them things the protagonists don't know (e.g. where the aliens came from) and/or assume that everything said in a movie by a friend of a protagonist must automatically be correct.

*/gripe, whine, bitch*

In all seriousness, though, there are two camps in this as far as I see it. Those who are determined to stick to their version that the movie is full of loopholes, and those who have somehow managed to fill in what the movie does not say (or do not ask those questions in the first place), and find it perfectly sane and inspiring.

It's hard to outline them without supporting my side. *banners fly reading: "War of the Worlds has no plotholes, you morons!"*
Ok then, answer me this! If they have been watching us since the beging of man, why didn't they take us out when we were cavemen? Why did they wait for us to develop? If they had been watching us for that long, this advanced race of aliens, how could they not know about our blood being deadly to them? What were those veins for and what were they connected to? Why were they spraying blood all over the earth? For what purpose?
Old 08-04-2005, 09:25 AM   #104
OB

They waited so there would be billions of us to harvest for food. The blood spray, along with the black smog/fog/smoke, is fertilizer for the red weed which is the end result of the harvest and their food source.

In the end, the invaders made a "human" mistake when it came to our germs; thus they got their asses kicked and rightly so. They don't know the history
of psychology but Ray does. It's all in the book.

No, the reason isn't spoon fed to the audience(no pun intended) nor should it be. It's easy enough to figure all this out from the actions and visuals in the movie.

Last edited by Orange Brat; 08-04-2005 at 09:33 AM.
Old 08-04-2005, 11:25 AM   #105
Banned User

So...blood and black smoke equals fertilizer? Blood doesn't fertilize anything!
Old 08-04-2005, 12:36 PM   #106
OUATIJ Creator

These aren't even the plot holes I was ever referring to (the ones mentioned so far in this thread)... It's more the bullshit Hollywood coincidences that drove me nuts anyway. This was very generic "formula" moviemaking. Period. Look, I love movies where everything isn't explained and the audience has to "fill in the blanks" based on what is inferred by the visuals and story. Some of the best films ever made are like that, I've already mentioned 2001: A Space Odyssey.

War of the Worlds will never be considered in the same league as 2001. War of the Worlds didn't leave me with any questions, there was no mystery to it. It was all very straightforward. It left me pretty entertained, but it also left me upset that there were so many dumb coincidences and plotholes that literally don't make sense because they lack any inferences to ways in which they would make sense.

Last edited by Once A Villain; 08-04-2005 at 12:45 PM.
Old 08-04-2005, 12:46 PM   #107
merely human

spoiler tags, please!!

You dorks! I haven't even seen the damn movie yet!
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 08-04-2005, 03:43 PM   #108
Pink fluffy Xmas bunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
Wot the hell kind of girls do you and your bro go with that don't get all mushy now and then? If I were a girl I'd swoon at your feet to see you shed even a single tear. Hell, I'd swoon at you anyhow!

< swoons >

Don't get me wrong - they could both cry for England if they wanted to!
Maybe it's just that one film that appeals more emotionally to men
Old 08-04-2005, 05:45 PM   #109
Feind der Anonymitaet!

Send a message via ICQ to pinkgothic Send a message via AIM to pinkgothic Send a message via Yahoo to pinkgothic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange Brat
The Island - Bay's best work. I loved it...too bad it's a flop
I just saw that today and I have one thing to say: OMGWTFWOOOOOW.

Except, I didn't like the end, or rather, the atmosphere of the end. It carried on a bit too long for my taste. But lordy, what a lovely movie!

Warning, though, I can only say: Strategic product placement Very obvious. But t'was at least not obscenely out of place when it did happen. I couldn't help but grin in parts, though.

Really lovely, mind. Very lovely. Very recommendable. [Though I'm positive someone out there will hate it ]
Winner of the Second-Best-Dressed and Non-Specific awards in the Unbiased Impostor Awardsâ„¢, amongst many others.

Non-Conformist to Non-Conformismâ„¢
Internet Explodifierâ„¢ - the best weapon of mass destruction!!!11one
Trademark Overuserâ„¢
Old 08-04-2005, 06:13 PM   #110
OUATIJ Creator

Hmmm... I haven't seen The Island yet and I won't judge it until I do so, obviously. However, Michael Bay has never made a film that is even close to being good so, I have my doubts. I like the cast though, maybe it'll be a lot better than his previous work...
Old 08-04-2005, 10:57 PM   #111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Once A Villain
Hmmm... I haven't seen The Island yet and I won't judge it until I do so, obviously. However, Michael Bay has never made a film that is even close to being good so, I have my doubts. I like the cast though, maybe it'll be a lot better than his previous work...
I like your sig. (A bout de Souffle was great, too bad Godard indulges in self-centric, obscure, pseudo philosophical movies nowadays)
Old 08-04-2005, 11:13 PM   #112
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninth
I like your sig. (A bout de Souffle was great, too bad Godard indulges in self-centric, obscure, pseudo philosophical movies nowadays)
Well, what else could YOU do being an old man?
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 08-04-2005, 11:17 PM   #113

Quote:
Well, what else could YOU do being an old man?
I don't think he's that old (Probably 70 or something), at least not older than many other film-makers who don't do this kind of stuff.
Old 08-04-2005, 11:19 PM   #114
merely human

He's FRENCH. What else CAN he do but be indulgent in self-centric, obscure, pseudo philosophical things?

< runs >
Old 08-04-2005, 11:22 PM   #115
Banned User

Quote:
He's FRENCH. What else CAN he do but be indulgent in self-centric, obscure, pseudo philosophical things?

< runs >
Heheheh, whureeddddddddd.
Old 08-04-2005, 11:24 PM   #116

Quote:

< runs >
He could try to do awesome movies like he used to.
Old 08-04-2005, 11:26 PM   #117
merely human

BTW, what's Claude Chabrol up to these days?
Old 08-04-2005, 11:32 PM   #118

Quote:
BTW, what's Claude Chabrol up to these days?
He does some decent movies.
His last one, "La Demoiselle d'honneur", with actress Sandrine Bonnaire and the younger Benoit Magimel, is supposed to be quite good. I haven't seen it, mainly because I'm not a huge fan of Chabrol (I do like him, though, and I really appreciate the man he is).
Old 08-04-2005, 11:33 PM   #119
Banned User

Ok come on, his movies can't be that bad!
Old 08-04-2005, 11:34 PM   #120

Quote:
Originally Posted by temporaryscars
Ok come on, his movies can't be that bad!
Noe deals in provocation, but he also has a style, even if it's a style I don't like.