Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   Chit Chat (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/chit-chat/)
-   -   Recent movies seen (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/chit-chat/9181-recent-movies-seen.html)

42yoMan 03-18-2006 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Huz
What was the comedy moment? I had the misfortune of seeing the film in a cinema packed with about three other people (I think it must have been the late screening), which kind of defeated the object of seeing it at the cinema. There wasn't much general laughter, as laughting in an auditorium that empty is generally fairly embarrassing...

Spoiler:
The scene when they take the black guy as a hostage and try to extract information from him. Harry decides to try and look tough by attempting to play a little game of Russian Roulette with him and of course you know what happens next...

I just loved how well timed the reactions were. You could what was going to happen, but the anticipation also made it even funnier. (I also recently discovered that this scene was infact shown on the theatrical trailor, but as the movie recieved little to no advertising when it was shown here, none of the audience saw it coming...)

Lucien21 03-19-2006 12:11 AM

V for Vendetta

In the not-too-distant future, Britain has become a fascist, totalitarian state, its population cowed and apathetic. But the nation receives a wake-up call when mysterious masked terrorist "V" (Weaving) blows up the Old Bailey and calls for the citizens to rise up against their oppressors.

Excellent film that makes you think about just how trustworthy people in power can be in an England portrayed as God-fearing, racially ‘pure’ and purged of all its sexual ‘deviants’. Is this where we are heading post 9/11? Scary.

Fantastic.

"People should not be afraid of their Government. Governments should be afraid of their people."

insane_cobra 03-19-2006 02:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucien21
Excellent film that makes you think about just how trustworthy people in power can be in an England portrayed as God-fearing, racially ‘pure’ and purged of all its sexual ‘deviants’. Is this where we are heading post 9/11? Scary.

Um, it's an excellent graphic novel, but since its creator disowned the adaptation after reading the script, I don't have much faith in it. Especially since it's writen by the dreadful Wachowsky brothers who haven't been involved in anything worth watching since the first Matrix movie, Animatrix included. Judging by the trailer, they made it into an action movie sprinkled with their characteristically "deep" thoughts, this time on politics. I'd pass on it entirely, but it has this huge traffic accident appeal so I guess I'll have to watch it. :)

Lucien21 03-19-2006 08:30 AM

The trailer is very misleading. There are only a couple of short action sequences in the whole film.

And Alan Moore gets his knickers in a twist about any adaption of his comics so I wouldnt read much into that.

Ok some ofthe dialogue is a bit trite especially the alliteration speech near the start, but overall it was fine.

It copies one of the more powerful parts of the comic word for word i've heard (the letter written on toilet roll that is simply heartbreaking)

I enjoyed it anyway so :P

After a brisk nap 03-19-2006 09:23 AM

Quote:

And Alan Moore gets his knickers in a twist about any adaption of his comics so I wouldnt read much into that.

That could have something to do with the fact that those movies to date include League of Extraordinary Gentlemen ("LXG" :r ), From Hell, and Constantine (characters and bits of plot). I would disown them, too.

Melanie68 03-19-2006 09:27 AM

This is Wikipedia so take it with a grain of salt but...

Quote:

Moore is a practising magician, and claims to worship a Roman snake-deity named Glycon
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_Moore

He sounds quite eccentric.

lumi 03-19-2006 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Melanie68

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_Moore

He sounds quite eccentric.

He looks it, too.

insane_cobra 03-19-2006 10:47 AM

Quote:

It copies one of the more powerful parts of the comic word for word i've heard (the letter written on toilet roll that is simply heartbreaking)

Tell me about it, it made me cry. Well, at least that's good news...
Spoiler:
But the army of V-s? :frusty:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Melanie68

No, he's really like that. :)
But he's not as weird as that makes him look, read Promethea for his views on magic, excellent stuff. And also one of the most beautiful comics graphically.

Lucien21 03-19-2006 11:14 AM

As much as I like Moore's work he is a constant winger.

He's never happy unless he's pissed off at someone be it Hollywood, DC comic, Marvel or whoever.

Just wait until they try to make Watchmen (Which I think is unfilmable anyway)

Just go see the movie and make up your own mind

[toj.cc]Phantom 03-19-2006 11:26 AM

V for Vendetta

insane_cobra 03-19-2006 12:15 PM

Quote:

He's never happy unless he's pissed off at someone be it Hollywood, DC comic, Marvel or whoever.

I don't care much about the man personally, but it's not like he has no reason to be pissed off at any and all of them, now is it? He just cares about his creations.

Kolzig 03-19-2006 12:18 PM

I just watched Almost Famous the DC version. It's been 6 years since I last saw this one, and then it was the theatrical version.

This was supposed to be 40 minutes longer than the original, but I'm not sure what was new in it. :)

Huz 03-19-2006 06:22 PM

Quote:

V for Vendetta

Fantastic.

"People should not be afraid of their Government. Governments should be afraid of their people."

I saw this earlier this evening, too. I've never read the graphic novel it's based on, and I'm not really interested in how faithful an adaptation it is - as a film, I thought it was excellent. As Lucien says, some of the dialogue could be too trite for its own good, and the words spilling from British-accented mouths were clearly written by an American. Those are really my only complaints, though, and the dialogue was high quality overall. Some of it was really quite chilling!

And of course, as I list 1984 as my favourite book of all time, I couldn't help loving the concept. As with when I read 1984 recently, the issues raised are very relevant to the world we find ourselves in today. The filmmakers didn't shy away from making some of these aspects more explicit - see the 'Avian Flu' stories in the news and the O'Reilley Factor style TV show!

There was also one scene where the 'Chancellor' looked a lot like Blair, but I will generously assume that this was unintentional and/or all in my head. ;)

If you're put off by the thought of it being an action film, don't be. There are a few Matrix-y moments - some bullet-time knife-throwing action springs to mind - but overall it was much more low key, really more of a thriller. Not quite sophisticated enough to be called a 'political' thriller, though.

And the ending is probably the best sequence ever committed to film. ;)

Speaking of political thrillers, did anyone in the UK see The Plot Against Harold Wilson on BBC2 the other night? Man.

Jayel 03-19-2006 10:14 PM

Howl's Moving Castle.
It showed no evidence of coherent plot. Miyazaki was definitely on crack.

Huz 03-20-2006 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jayel
Howl's Moving Castle.
It showed no evidence of coherent plot. Miyazaki was definitely on crack.

Is that a bad thing? :)

Some of the best art is made on crack*.

* probably

pinkgothic 03-20-2006 01:41 PM

Quote:

I really want to watch V for Vendetta, and I'll give it a review when I do (I, too, have never actually read the novel), but I just wanted to dive in for a quick comment on this - I don't think either side ought to be afraid. Respecting, certainly, but both ways, please; and by golly, if the government was afraid of the people, then it would never dare do the more unpopular, but neccessary things. So yeah. The quote irked me and I had to get that off my chest.

(Agreed that the first sentence holds 100% truth, though.)

Thread digressing! I'll be good now :) *staples mouth shut*

Karmillo 03-20-2006 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pinkgothic
I really want to watch V for Vendetta, and I'll give it a review when I do (I, too, have never actually read the novel), but I just wanted to dive in for a quick comment on this - I don't think either side ought to be afraid. Respecting, certainly, but both ways, please; and by golly, if the government was afraid of the people, then it would never dare do the more unpopular, but neccessary things. So yeah. The quote irked me and I had to get that off my chest.

(Agreed that the first sentence holds 100% truth, though.)

Thread digressing! I'll be good now :) *staples mouth shut*

I think both sides should be afraid of me :D

Jelena 03-20-2006 01:51 PM

Today just wasn´t a good day. (I´m sick and tired of this state I´m in.)
Luckily I borrowed some DVDs from my sister. I saw The Shawshank Redemtion today. I´ve seen it before and I still like it a lot. Morgan Freeman´s voice is like velvet to my ears. And the story has hope in it all the way. Not very realistic, but a very good story.

Jayel 03-20-2006 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Huz
Is that a bad thing? :)

Some of the best art is made on crack*.

* probably

Oh it's not a bad thing at all. I wasn't bored watching it, so on the whole, it was a successful movie.

jjacob 03-20-2006 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jayel
Oh it's not a bad thing at all. I wasn't bored watching it, so on the whole, it was a successful movie.

His movies are always so oddly paced, especially Howl's Moving Castle :crazy: One moment they're sipping tea and small talking, the next something magically explodes and they're flying high in the sky being shot at with magic fireworks or something :P Still, great movie, that calucifer guy was sheer brilliance :D