You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Recent movies seen

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2006, 03:20 PM   #741

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoofa
I just watched You, Me, and Everyone We Know. I loved it. I could watch movies about weirdos all day.

I am going to watch 2046 tonight, then I might rent Chungking Express (if I can find it).
You should rent In The Mood For Love and As Tears Go By first, it just seems right to view them in that order
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLacey
I just saw The Bourne Identity (I'm watching my way through a triple pack, y'see, with The Bourne Supremacy still to come).

What a letdown.

Can someone tell me why this film is supposed to be good? The plot made no sense and went absolutely nowhere. The camera work went with the "let's make everything shaky and impossible to see" style I hate (apparently the sequel does this even more) and the whole thing just felt... dull. Anyone want to explain what I'm missing?
Is it (supposed to be good that is) ? It's simply a decent action flick, if you can suspend your disbelief at all the brainwashing super assasin type stuff The sequel is a bit better, but I still can't understand what all the fuss was about at the time. So you're not missing anything
Old 01-26-2006, 05:24 PM   #742
Translate Me

Just watched Memoirs of a Geisha to see what all the fuss is about. I'll post my impressions over at the Geisha topic we already have going.
Old 01-27-2006, 12:47 AM   #743
Grah! Grah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacob
You should rent In The Mood For Love and As Tears Go By first, it just seems right to view them in that order
Ach! Gash! Days of Being Wild is the movie you watch before 2046. In the Mood for Love requires only a quick listen of the soundtrack and a browse through some stills... maybe a clip of one of the slow motion smoking shots... then you'll be set for 2046.
Old 01-27-2006, 01:36 AM   #744

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkface
Ach! Gash! Days of Being Wild is the movie you watch before 2046. In the Mood for Love requires only a quick listen of the soundtrack and a browse through some stills... maybe a clip of one of the slow motion smoking shots... then you'll be set for 2046.
Why is that?

In fact, I found In the Mood for Love far better than Days of Being Wild (which was also really good, mind you), plus 2046 is a kind of answer to In the Mood for Love.
Old 01-27-2006, 03:54 PM   #745
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Just finished The Bourne Supremacy. It's a better film than its predecessor in terms of plot, but the direction used so much close up, shaky camera work than in about 90% of the action scenes I had absolutely zero idea what was going on. The way they killed off one of the characters in the first ten minutes, meanwhile, just made me go "oh. fine." .

Fun, but flawed.

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 01-27-2006, 04:23 PM   #746
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

We just watched Arnie's Commando.
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 01-27-2006, 05:03 PM   #747

Quote:
The way they killed off one of the characters in the first ten minutes, meanwhile, just made me go "oh. fine." .
Of course, that's the only character I liked in the first one. which is one of the reasons why I didn't go and watch this movie.
Old 01-27-2006, 05:08 PM   #748
Epinionated.

Supremacy was fantastic. I cried like a frigging baby when they did that, and that was the idea. He's never safe, but then again, he's never safe either. If you see what I mean. And this really drove it home, and it's not as if they didn't really fight to escape either or that the death didn't impact heavily on Bournes character, otherwise he wouldn't put his foot down quite so hard.
Old 01-27-2006, 05:14 PM   #749
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninth
Of course, that's the only character I liked in the first one. which is one of the reasons why I didn't go and watch this movie.
Heh. I liked the character, which is why it surprised me that the death was so badly handled. It reminded me of the beginning of the second Austin Powers film, actually...

Old 01-27-2006, 05:19 PM   #750

Quote:
Heh. I liked the character, which is why it surprised me that the death was so badly handled. It reminded me of the beginning of the second Austin Powers film, actually...
I know what you mean. By the way, I had found Austin Powers 2 reasonably funny the first time I saw it, but watching the first half of it on TV the other day proved to be a painful task.
Old 01-27-2006, 05:20 PM   #751
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

The Austin Powers films would be good if they kept all the spy-spoof stuff and cut out the juvenile sex gags. Of course, then the film would be about twenty minutes long, but at least I wouldn't feel mildly embarassed when watching it .

Old 01-27-2006, 05:31 PM   #752

Quote:
The Austin Powers films would be good if they kept all the spy-spoof stuff and cut out the juvenile sex gags. Of course, then the film would be about twenty minutes long, but at least I wouldn't feel mildly embarassed when watching it .
Last time, I saw the first 30 minutes with my parents. That was indeed mildly embarassing.
Old 01-27-2006, 05:55 PM   #753
Super Moderator

Isn't that where he's running around nude and there are things artfully covering the privates but there are also phallic objects everywhere?
Old 01-28-2006, 02:11 AM   #754
A Servicable Villain

Austin Powers walks a fine line indeed. There's a lot of inspired comedy in there, but an equal amount of meh sexjokes. The best parts in my opinion the ones in the first movie where Dr. Evil is spoofing the secret agent genre, with elaborate deathtraps and sharks with fricking laserbeams attached to their foreheads
Old 01-28-2006, 03:54 AM   #755

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanie68
Isn't that where he's running around nude and there are things artfully covering the privates but there are also phallic objects everywhere?
Yep.

But really, as is the case which most films, the most obscene part of it were the french voice-overs.
Old 01-28-2006, 04:48 AM   #756
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flux
Austin Powers walks a fine line indeed. There's a lot of inspired comedy in there, but an equal amount of meh sexjokes. The best parts in my opinion the ones in the first movie where Dr. Evil is spoofing the secret agent genre, with elaborate deathtraps and sharks with fricking laserbeams attached to their foreheads
I agree. That's what I watch the films for, and I only wish Myers would realise this .

Old 01-28-2006, 06:45 AM   #757
capsized.

Assault On Precinct 13. Oh man, Carpenter's self written scores are so simple and kick so many butt, it's way 2 cool. Imo,imo,imo. Looking for a Midi file now.
Old 01-28-2006, 11:15 AM   #758
Psychonaut

Munich - Stephen Spielberg.

Man this film was fantastic. Bana was brilliant as the family man turned assassin. He's also a fantastic chef. The acting was superb throughout I thought.

The scene with the PLO agent on the stairs and then the look they give each other later was priceless. I was also nice to see that speech on the stairs mirrored by Bana's mother in the movie showing that both sides are after the same thing. A place on earth for their people to live.

I'm sure the political side of it will be endlessly discussed, but I thought it was handled pretty well without being overly biased.

The hostage scene being nicely shown at the start and in a couple of flashback sequences later in the movie.

Of course how much is fiction and how much is fact is debatable, but this is Spielberg at his best and for once he doesn't put in a soppy ending to highlight that the events in the movie have never ended. Especially as it takes place in Brooklyn with the twin towers in the background.

A must see.
Old 01-28-2006, 11:42 AM   #759
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucien21
Of course how much is fiction and how much is fact is debatable, but this is Spielberg at his best and for once he doesn't put in a soppy ending to highlight that the events in the movie have never ended.
I'm sold. Now, if only Spielberg could avoid doing that in all his films...

Old 01-28-2006, 06:47 PM   #760
capsized.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucien21
Munich - Stephen Spielberg.
Especially as it takes place in Brooklyn with the twin towers in the background.

Uh, wait a minute....