You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Recent movies seen

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2006, 07:38 AM   #721
Chris Barraclough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninth
It is. Come on, it features Ben Affleck! The man has one (lack of) emotion painted on his face that never falters no matter what he's supposed to be doing. I don't think I've ever despised an actor as much as I did him in Paycheck (and possibly in Daredevil, which was even worse).
I dunno, he showed some supreme acting skills in Jay And Silent Bob Strike Back.

Check out www.chrisbarraclough.co.uk for promotions and giveaways. Twitter: Seebaruk
Old 01-25-2006, 07:40 AM   #722
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninth
It is. Come on, it features Ben Affleck! The man has one (lack of) emotion painted on his face that never falters no matter what he's supposed to be doing. I don't think I've ever despised an actor as much as I did him in Paycheck (and possibly in Daredevil, which was even worse).
Heh. Ben Affleck came across too much as a Tom Cruise wannabee (and if you're going to aim that low is there any point in acting?). I still enjoyed the film, though, albeit not enough to watch it again in a hurry.

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 01-25-2006, 07:54 AM   #723
Super Moderator

I liked Ben Affleck in Kevin Smith's movies - I believe he was in Mall Rats and he definitely was in Chasing Amy.
Old 01-25-2006, 08:14 AM   #724
Chris Barraclough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanie68
I liked Ben Affleck in Kevin Smith's movies - I believe he was in Mall Rats and he definitely was in Chasing Amy.
Yeah, he was the bad dude in Mallrats and had a dodgy goatee thing in Chasing Amy.

Check out www.chrisbarraclough.co.uk for promotions and giveaways. Twitter: Seebaruk
Old 01-25-2006, 08:42 AM   #725
OUATIJ Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanie68
Agreed. Ben Affleck can die for all care since he has already made Chasing Amy. That movie alone keeps me from absolutely despising him.
Old 01-25-2006, 08:44 AM   #726
Psychonaut

Just don'e mention Reindeer Games.

*shudder*
Old 01-25-2006, 08:55 AM   #727

Quote:
Originally Posted by seebaruk
I dunno, he showed some supreme acting skills in Jay And Silent Bob Strike Back.
Uh, yes, my mistake.
Old 01-25-2006, 11:24 AM   #728
Feind der Anonymitaet!

Send a message via ICQ to pinkgothic Send a message via AIM to pinkgothic Send a message via Yahoo to pinkgothic

The last movie BoyToy and I saw was The Constant Gardner. I'm not sure if I would recommend it, though, I'm unsure what I feel about it.

The movie started out as incredibly boring (in my opinion) and I was half tempted leaving. However, the moment
Spoiler:
his wife was out of the picture (as in, backflashes stopped)
, the movie turned around and began to utilise atmospheric elements and music to create a believable and very gripping mood.

I was rather irritated by the way that the camera was used. To me, it seemed as though someone was trying to be smart with focus and defocus - it didn't add to the mood at all how the movie was filmed, if anything, it was anti-climatic.

Spoiler:
To top it off, the story was not very believable to me. I cannot imagine that corporations would be that ignorant to the power of the media that they would rather make a conspiracy for ten bucks less than bothering going back to the drawing boards with a product...

Despite that, the second half of the movie moved me greatly in parts, and the acting was superb. If it had been two movies - say, the first being a prequel or something - then I would rate the first with one star, and the second with four (of five) stars,
Spoiler:
with my only gripe being believability, though a lot of the "conspiracy" can be explained with paranoia.
Winner of the Second-Best-Dressed and Non-Specific awards in the Unbiased Impostor Awardsâ„¢, amongst many others.

Non-Conformist to Non-Conformismâ„¢
Internet Explodifierâ„¢ - the best weapon of mass destruction!!!11one
Trademark Overuserâ„¢
Old 01-25-2006, 11:45 AM   #729

Well, it is a John le Carre adaptation, which, after all, can't be that easy to translate to the big screen But I kind of agree with you on the cinematography point, some scenes were overstylized, when there was no need for it. City of God (recommended x1000 ) was alot better as a film.

But also consider that the most entertaining movies of all times had stories that required you to suspend your disbelief to an almost infinite degree

That being said, it's still a well known fact that big drug companies keep supplying third world countries with malaria (etc.) drugs long after it's been proven that the mosquitos have developed a resistance to the drug, and that's not all they do wrong by a longshot.
Old 01-25-2006, 02:33 PM   #730
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

I want to see The Constant Gardner at some point, if only because it has Ralph Fiennes in it .

Old 01-25-2006, 03:10 PM   #731
Feind der Anonymitaet!

Send a message via ICQ to pinkgothic Send a message via AIM to pinkgothic Send a message via Yahoo to pinkgothic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLacey
I want to see The Constant Gardner at some point, if only because it has Ralph Fiennes in it .
T'was the reason we went to see it, and in that regard - Ralph Fiennes' acting - the movie is awesome. Go take a look attit!
Winner of the Second-Best-Dressed and Non-Specific awards in the Unbiased Impostor Awardsâ„¢, amongst many others.

Trademark Overuserâ„¢
Old 01-25-2006, 03:16 PM   #732
Citizen of Bizarro World

Take a look at tit...check.
Under land of no free! Am us home coward-leeee!

~Excerpt from the Bizarro Anthem
Old 01-25-2006, 03:17 PM   #733
Feind der Anonymitaet!

...eek! *backhands*

Trademark Overuserâ„¢
Old 01-26-2006, 11:34 AM   #734
Chris Barraclough

Quote:
Nooooo, it's rubbish! The woman in it makes me want to punch small babies, she's so annoying!

Old 01-26-2006, 12:26 PM   #735
Feind der Anonymitaet!

Quote:
Nooooo, it's rubbish! The woman in it makes me want to punch small babies, she's so annoying!
Good to see I'm not the only one who got that impression.

Trademark Overuserâ„¢
Old 01-26-2006, 12:30 PM   #736
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Looks like a case of "wait for it to be on TV"...

Old 01-26-2006, 12:39 PM   #737
woof

Send a message via AIM to Karmillo Send a message via MSN to Karmillo

Quote:
I saw Paycheck yesterday. I don't think that it's as bad as the reviews made out, but I equally don't think it's particularly good. Aside from the obligatory dove scene ( ) it didn't play like a John Woo film, instead feeling like a second-rate version of Minority Report...
I couldnt help of thinking of adventure games when whating that movie, it kinda felt like one

Like the scene in the subway
*Use gun clip on Train tracks*

and he starts out with an envelop full of random items, kinda like the average adventurers inventory
Old 01-26-2006, 01:09 PM   #738

Quote:
Rachel Weisz? I actually thought she was pretty good, didn't she also receive a GG nomination for best supporting actress?
Old 01-26-2006, 02:42 PM   #739
Roar?

I just watched You, Me, and Everyone We Know. I loved it. I could watch movies about weirdos all day.

I am going to watch 2046 tonight, then I might rent Chungking Express (if I can find it).
Old 01-26-2006, 03:07 PM   #740
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

I just saw The Bourne Identity (I'm watching my way through a triple pack, y'see, with The Bourne Supremacy still to come).

What a letdown.

Can someone tell me why this film is supposed to be good? The plot made no sense and went absolutely nowhere. The camera work went with the "let's make everything shaky and impossible to see" style I hate (apparently the sequel does this even more) and the whole thing just felt... dull. Anyone want to explain what I'm missing?