You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Recent movies seen

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2005, 07:42 PM   #681

I saw Syriana today, and here are my thoughts:

The trailer gives a fairly good idea of what to expect in terms of subject matter, but the pacing is not the same. Think of Traffic, but more drawn out. It was boring, and at some points I felt like I paid to sit around doing nothing. I don't have anything against slow movies, but I didn't feel any connection to the characters, so I wasn't interested. I could never remember which of the old guys was which, and some of their dealings I didn't understand at all.

The movie was done the same way as Traffic, so there are different stories part of a larger whole. A couple of them I actually did like. The movie had a good ending, and some of the issues brought up were nice. But as a whole, it was too long and boring.

And if the trailers are the same for everyone, they suck ass. Don't see this at a theater. Renting it or watching it on TV would be good enough.
Old 12-10-2005, 08:05 PM   #682

One thing I forgot to mention is that the parts in the Middle East are good. The two stories there that I liked were sad and gave a good perspective from their side. The movies worth watching for that and the ending, but like I said above, not in a theater.
Old 12-11-2005, 05:03 AM   #683
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

I saw Turner & Hooch yesterday.
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 12-12-2005, 01:57 AM   #684

I saw "Three Times", by Hou Hsio Hsien (taiwanese, I believe).

That's three love stories set at three different times, the first in 1966, the second in 1911, and the last in 2005. The lovers are the same each time, but apart from this, each story is completely different from the other, each of them reflecting its time's conception of love. Of course, the way each story is filmed differs a lot depending on the time, and each atmosphere is unique.

To make a long story short; it's a great movie, and Hou Hsiao Hsien didn't disappoint me, after the almost as great Cafe Lumière (sorry, don't know the english name, it was HHH's last movie, in homage to Ozu), the magnificient "Les fleurs de Shangai" ("The flowers of Shangai", I'd guess), and a bunch of other gems.
Old 12-12-2005, 12:01 PM   #685

I saw the movie March of the Penguins. They have one of the most unique rituals for having a baby in one of the harshest enviroments.
Old 12-12-2005, 12:03 PM   #686
woof

Send a message via AIM to Karmillo Send a message via MSN to Karmillo

Just seen the "new" Harry Potter, mainly cause we turned up not knowing what was on and there wasnt anything else on for another hour...

Dam that ending was cruel
Old 12-28-2005, 09:20 AM   #687
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

I've just finished watching Andrew Lloyd Webber's The Phantom of the Opera on DVD (a Christmas present from my brother).

I have some mixed feelings. In some respects I loved it - I'm not a great fan of Lloyd Webber's music, and yet love the main themes from Phantom, while Joel Schumacher turned in some clever directing (!) and the acting is better than I'd been led to believe.

On the other hand, watching the film reminds me how useless the music at the end is - the sheer number of theme repetitions begins to wear after a while - and the direction seems to become less interesting as the film goes along. I also felt that there were about three too many black-and-white scenes.

I notice that the MetaCritic score for this is 40, but I wouldn't take too much notice of that. Essentially, and looking at the reviews listed there confirms this somewhat, people who liked the musical will like the film and people who didn't won't. I fall into the former category, and so enjoyed it, though it was feeling like a guilty pleasure by the end.

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 12-28-2005, 09:24 AM   #688
Super Moderator

I saw Walk the Line yesterday with my Mom. Incredible film. Johnny Cash has always fascinated me and it looked at his life up until he married June Carter. Joaquin Phoenix and Reese Witherspoon (who looked fantastic as June Carter) both did their own singing which was superb.

I'll be seeing King Kong tonight with my Dad.
Old 01-06-2006, 07:48 AM   #689
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

My copy of Twelve Monkeys arrived today, so I might finally get around to watching it soon. I've heard good things, and it is by Mr Gilliam, but who knows...

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 01-06-2006, 07:56 AM   #690

Aha, good to see this thread bumped...

So I saw...

Narnia. Not bad, even poetic in parts, but too mellow in others to warrant much enthousiasm on my part. And most of the kids can't play.

Where the truth lies. That's Atom Egoyan's last movie, and I'm a big fan of his (Exotica is one of my all time favorites).
Well, this one is closer to Exotica than to his other movies (the ones I've seen, that is : Felicia's journey and the one about the bus accident), so I loved it.
Not much of a story, but great characters, and a classy, warm, sexy, even steamy atmosphere.
Old 01-06-2006, 08:06 AM   #691
Hitch-Hiker

Send a message via MSN to Dasilva

I saw Narbia a week ago and you can count on me to get it on DVD, great film!

"If you don't get out of the box you've been raised in, you won't understand how much bigger the world is." - Angelina Jolie

_

<Susan falls through the floor and gets stuck>
<Paco looks at her blankly>
"Whats wrong with you?! Lassy would of had a firetruck here by now!"
- Susan Mayer, Desperate Housewives
Old 01-06-2006, 08:31 AM   #692
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninth
the one about the bus accident
Sweet Hereafter, the only Egoyan's I've seen so far. Didn't captivate me at all, I'm afraid.

Recently seen: Pride and Prejudice. First Jane Austen adaptation I honestly liked. Mainly because quite a few very cinematic sequences were added (but just so many as not to spoil the old-fashioned-romance feel the novel's fan might expect) and the cast delivers their previctorian dialogues naturally and effortlessly. Especially Keira Knightley in the lead is charming beyond words. (almost as much as the person I've been to the cinema with )
Old 01-06-2006, 08:32 AM   #693
Bad Influence

Send a message via Yahoo to Sage

@ Melanie68- I've heard that Ms. Witherspoon's portayal of June Carter (Cash) is a great deal more polished and glamourous than Ms. Carter ever was in real life from a number of people who were fans of the Carter Family gospel group way back when. Perhaps this was a conscious choice on the part of the director, as portraying Ms. Carter the way Mr. Cash saw her rather than the way she actually was would have served the story better. Either way, I want to see this film.

@ RLacey- You are gonna LOVE 12 Monkeys! I didn't take Brad Pitt seriously as an actor until I saw him in that movie...he plays crazy very well!

Share the love.

<3
Old 01-06-2006, 09:57 AM   #694

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFGNCAAP
Sweet Hereafter, the only Egoyan's I've seen so far. Didn't captivate me at all, I'm afraid.
What can I say... On one hand, Sweet Hereafter and Where the truth lies have almost nothing in common, but on the other hand, I loved Sweet Hereafter. So I can't really say: go and see this one, it's much better.
Egoyan has it's own style, and I know of many people who don't like it.
Old 01-06-2006, 10:00 AM   #695
Citizen of Bizarro World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrift Store Scott

@ RLacey- You are gonna LOVE 12 Monkeys! I didn't take Brad Pitt seriously as an actor until I saw him in that movie...he plays crazy very well!
I stopped taking him seriously after I saw Troy.

Most recently, I saw Munich in the theaters. Amazing movie.

Before that, my most notable recent rental was 28 days later, the best zombie flick ever made, imo.
Under land of no free! Am us home coward-leeee!

~Excerpt from the Bizarro Anthem
Old 01-06-2006, 10:04 AM   #696
Citizen of Bizarro World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider Crusoe
I saw Syriana today, and here are my thoughts:

The trailer gives a fairly good idea of what to expect in terms of subject matter, but the pacing is not the same. Think of Traffic, but more drawn out. It was boring, and at some points I felt like I paid to sit around doing nothing.
On a more positive note, Dr. Bashir's in it.

Old 01-06-2006, 10:04 AM   #697
Psychonaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mares
Before that, my most notable recent rental was 28 days later, the best zombie flick ever made, imo.

Hmmmm idea for a thread maybe
Old 01-06-2006, 10:23 AM   #698
Citizen of Bizarro World

Glad I could be of service.

Old 01-06-2006, 11:03 AM   #699
Feind der Anonymitaet!

Send a message via ICQ to pinkgothic Send a message via AIM to pinkgothic Send a message via Yahoo to pinkgothic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLacey
My copy of Twelve Monkeys arrived today, so I might finally get around to watching it soon. I've heard good things, and it is by Mr Gilliam, but who knows...
Ooh. Twelve Monkeys is one of my favorite movies ever. I like gritty realism (well... as realistic as timetravel can be...).
Winner of the Second-Best-Dressed and Non-Specific awards in the Unbiased Impostor Awardsâ„¢, amongst many others.

Non-Conformist to Non-Conformismâ„¢
Internet Explodifierâ„¢ - the best weapon of mass destruction!!!11one
Trademark Overuserâ„¢
Old 01-06-2006, 12:00 PM   #700
Living with my love

Send a message via MSN to Tobbe

I saw a great horror movie, The Creep..