You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Recent movies seen

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2005, 12:05 AM   #641
Living with my love

Send a message via MSN to Tobbe

I just ordered:

The Big One
Donnie Brasco
Insomnia
The Escape From Alcatraz
Framom Främsta Linjen – Etulinjan Edessä

Everything for just 30euros!
Old 12-01-2005, 12:11 AM   #642
Just charging up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninth
There's another movie by the guy who made Amelie, which takes place during (or right after) WW1. Title in french is "Un long dimanche de fiancailles. And I liked it better than Amélie. I though it was more subtle, and the main character more attractive (because she's a bit evil).
Thanks for the heads-up, though I've already seen it.
I agree with you on your last statement but I still liked Amélie more...
Audrey Tautou is just soo cute regardless of what role she plays.
Old 12-01-2005, 05:27 AM   #643
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

Quote:
There's another movie by the guy who made Amelie, which takes place during (or right after) WW1. Title in french is "Un long dimanche de fiancailles. And I liked it better than Amélie. I though it was more subtle, and the main character more attractive (because she's a bit evil).

I didn't like it better than Amélie, but it was still an awesome movie, I saw it in January when I was visiting friends in Helsinki. It's always nice to get to see movies in a top quality theater. We don't have those here in Vaasa...

But if you want to see Ms. Tautou in a *really* different role, then you should check À la folie... pas du tout
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 12-03-2005, 10:48 PM   #644
BOss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja Dodo
I really didn't get House of Flying Daggers...

Spoiler:
the love triangle was overdone, the fighting repetitive, the strings showing and what's with the constant attempted raping on the ground? That scene is in the movie like three times. The ending I thought was an exercise in futility. The scene with the drums in the beginning is great but after that it just goes downhill completely. "Are you for real?" she asks. Crappy translation or crappy dialogue... who knows?

I much prefer Hero and Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon.

Some films I recommend though (don't know if you've seen these): Garden State, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Les Visiteurs (hilarious French comedy)... and kinda new but also Madagascar and Batman Begins. Are they out of cinemas yet where you are?

A good Swedish film btw is "****ing Åmål" directed by Lukas Moodyson. It was released under the lame title "Show me love" in the US, I believe. On that note, "Jägarna" is pretty damn good too.
What the hell!?? How can you say that you liked Madagascar, that movie was horrible, it was a pathetic attempt at an animated movie (well, not so pathetic, just a waste of time and money). All of the other movies you listed are good though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkgothic
Haven't yet, but am going to see Madagaskar today
Don't bother with Madagascar, it's terrible.

Who else besides me thinks that Martin Scorsese and Steven Spielberg are going dry and stail in terms of movie making, they are only making complete and utter rubbish that feed dumb, ignorant audiences. Gangs of New York would have to be one of the most overrated movies I have ever seen, as does the Aviator. I can't say any recent Spielberg movies are overated, as nobody liked them, sure, War of the Worlds, was alrite for 5 minutes of entertainment, but other than that, it completely insults the world's intelligence, it does H. G. Wells' book no justice at all. Another thing that drives me insane is the fact that Martin Scorsese loves Leonardo Dicaprio so much, he must be one of the most untalented actors ever to vomit all over the silver screen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolzig
I didn't like it better than Amélie, but it was still an awesome movie, I saw it in January when I was visiting friends in Helsinki. It's always nice to get to see movies in a top quality theater. We don't have those here in Vaasa...

But if you want to see Ms. Tautou in a *really* different role, then you should check À la folie... pas du tout
I agree, it wasnt better than Amelie, not by far, that is a hard movie to top, simply to do its sheer brilliance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mares
I just watched Stealth on DVD. 'Tis a very entertaining movie that got shit grades. Compare that to Red Eye, a piece of cinematic diarrhea that got excellent reviews. What is this world coming to?! Does it seem like lately, a whole buncha directors are getting "A" for effort, even though their products are mediocre at best?
What did I just hear, "redeye got good reviews" I must be going insane, all I have heard is crap about redeye, which doesn't surprise me because Wes Craven is one of the worst directors in the world. Please don't say anything good about Stealth ever again, it was not entertaining, it insulted my intelligence, it had no story. Redeye and Stealth were both crap, period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake
Everyone should see the Wallace and Gromit movie. It's great.
That it is, I loved it and I can't wait to see it again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seebaruk
Saw the Manchurian Candidate this weekend, it was alright but I wasn't really in the mood for it. The idea is a pretty frightening one though. Also saw Sympathy for Mr Vengeance, good film although I don't think it quite had the overall impact of Oldboy.
For everyone who reads this, don't bother with the Denzel Washington Manchurian Candidate, see the original 1962 version, with Frank Sinatra, Janet Leigh and Angela Lansbury, it is almost as brilliant as Richard Condon's book, which I also suggest you read.

Quote:
Originally Posted by [toj.cc]Phantom
The Longest Yard (new one)
My god, that movie was terrible, I really do not know why people keep bothering to list movies that they saw if they are dreadful pieces of sidewalk scum.

Quote:
I saw "Kiss kiss bang bang" and I liked it. Funny stuff.
Brilliant comedy with a great storyline, the movie was bloody awesome and appeals to nearly all audiences (except small children), I suggest that anybody looking for a good bit of entertainment that will keep you laughing for a long while to go see this movie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalia
Just watched The Insider last night. Terrific movie, which made me stay up way past my bedtime and now I’m so sleepy. I’m sorta in the journalism business (trade magazine), and of course have witnessed the sticky, murky dance between edit and advertisers. Ever since mainstream news orgs became profit centers rather than acknowledged cash losers, determining what news stories are really being ignored because they’d be unflattering to advertisers or bring unwanted attention to corporate becomes more and more difficult. Thank god for the internet and blogs.

Russel Crowe was fantastic. And Christopher Plummer was great conveying that little bit of vain posturing by Mike Wallace perfectly. Great movie all in all (although I wished Michael Mann had toned down the music in some parts – it added a terrific feel and mood to most of the movie, but there were a very few parts where I thought it was a little much).
That is one of the best movies I have ever seen in my entire life, after seeing that, I have gained a lot of respect for Michael Mann and have even more respect for Russel Crow, brilliant performances By Pacino and Crow, and every one else in the movie for that matter, corruption in cigarette companies and the media, rent it or buy it, just see it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huz
Oh man, Doom. I can hardly wait.

Some movies I have seen recently and some very brief reviews:

That new "...of the Dead" movie: Zombies. Random telegraphed 'scares'. Less funny than the originals. All in all, not bad if you like zombies and cliche.

Red Eye: completely implausible but enjoyable thriller type thing. An average movie, not one I'd make a special effort to see.

Serenity: I enjoyed this more than any sci-fi movie in a long time. Original, entertaining and compelling. A bit overpopulated though.

The League of Gentleman's Apocalypse: what the hell was that? I can only assume that the writers were lobotomised between writing the television series and making this. How they came up with such a bone-crunchingly unfunny (and, for that matter, self-agrandising) movie is beyond me. (To be fair, I could only stand the first half. I'll watch the second half through gritted teeth tomorrow, since I've paid for the rental and all.)

Office Space: PC Load Letter? What the **** is PC Load Letter? Brilliant stuff, spot on.
How can you find stupid toilet bowel residue entertaining, they bore the life out of an audience with at least half a brain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by t_manelius
Saw Gangs Of New York, for the first time, great movie, but I had great hopes to, because it´s Martin Scorseses works..
No, not a great movie, overrated boredom, Scorsese hasn't been any good since goodfellas, he hasnt done anything even watchabel since then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by t_manelius
Yep, it´s really memorable...And I LOVE the fighting firemen!
I hate the whole movie, well actually, I loved the closing credits *a sigh of relief*

Last edited by AFGNCAAP; 12-04-2005 at 02:50 AM. Reason: Merged.
Old 12-04-2005, 12:11 AM   #645
OUATIJ Creator

Holy smokes murderhouse...consolidate your posts a bit next time.
Old 12-04-2005, 12:14 AM   #646
BOss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Once A Villain
Holy smokes murderhouse...consolidate your posts a bit next time.
Sorry
Old 12-04-2005, 01:33 AM   #647
Epinionated.

Yeah, and it helps not to call other peoples opinions "crap". Try and play nice next time!

... uh...

... even if I agree with you on a lot of your points... 'Cept Mancurian Candidate. Haven't seen the original, but the remake was a good, if totally disturbing, thriller in its own right.
Old 12-04-2005, 01:37 AM   #648
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by murderhouse
Don't bother with Madagascar, it's terrible.
I liked it, and my GF loved it.
Old 12-04-2005, 01:46 AM   #649
Epinionated.

I've yet to see Madagascar. I rather enjoyed Robots, oddly as not many people did (then again, I was probably looking for different things than another audience member), only thing is this whole snappy comedy thing that American studios seem to be favouring right now is really wearing thin on me. Animation CAN be used for other things, but no... every 3D animation has a script that's rapped out at 100mph these days.

Sky Blue

I bought the Sky Blue 2-disc SE a week back and watched it yesterday. For any animation that has some kind of depth to it, I look to the east. Whilst Sky Blue had some incredibly cliché characters and sudden, awkward plot twists, at least it invested even the comedy characters with humanity. Plus I actually got really emotional towards the end.

It also has some interesting use of models, CG, 2D and even video - which works in its favour. Some of the sequences aren't as well animated as others, occasionally the direction gets a bit sloppy, but other than that a much better film than I'd anticipated with some utterly beautiful scenes and great ideas. The soundtrack is also quite pretty, and unlike a more typical Japanese Animé this Korean animation, although heavily inspired by japanimation, is actually more focussed on the drama than any heavy-handed action.

Worth a try if you're after an animation that doesn't rely on stock comedy.
Old 12-04-2005, 02:49 AM   #650
Dungeon Master

Welcome to the Forum, murderhouse.

I know of forums where people are sent warnings for double or triple posting. We're above such idiotic regimes, but thirteen consecutive posts is a bit much. That's why I merged them.
Old 12-04-2005, 04:01 AM   #651
BOss

Quote:
Originally Posted by squarejawhero
Yeah, and it helps not to call other peoples opinions "crap". Try and play nice next time!

... uh...

... even if I agree with you on a lot of your points... 'Cept Mancurian Candidate. Haven't seen the original, but the remake was a good, if totally disturbing, thriller in its own right.
I wasn't doing that, I never said anybody's opinions were crap, I never even used the word "crap" I only stated that my opinions on Madagascar differentiated from that of the person who said it was a good movie. I never said the Manchurian Candidate remake was bad, I simply was implying the original was better, thus making the remake somewhat superfluos, you can't say I'm wrong there, can you?
Old 12-04-2005, 04:24 AM   #652
Epinionated.

It's just by quoting others and then berating their opinions on movies, you are technically doing just that.

Quote:
Please don't say anything good about Stealth ever again, it was not entertaining, it insulted my intelligence, it had no story. Redeye and Stealth were both crap, period.
Aint gonna make friends that way. And look! You said "crap"! Look, man, seriously, I wouldn't say anything if I didn't think your tone was a little unfair.
Old 12-04-2005, 04:35 AM   #653
The Punisher

Send a message via ICQ to [toj.cc]Phantom Send a message via AIM to [toj.cc]Phantom Send a message via MSN to [toj.cc]Phantom Send a message via Yahoo to [toj.cc]Phantom

Walking Tall (new one with the Rock)

I plan on seeing the 3 original ones too. Movies about a guy named Buford Pusser who beat people up with a big stick are good in my book.

Last edited by [toj.cc]Phantom; 12-04-2005 at 04:47 AM.
Old 12-04-2005, 04:38 AM   #654
BOss

Quote:
Walking Tall (new one with the rock)

I plan on seeing the 3 original ones too. Movies about a guy anmed Buford Pusser who beat people up with a big stick are god in my book.
Oh, now that's just mean.
Old 12-04-2005, 04:48 AM   #655
The Punisher

Send a message via ICQ to [toj.cc]Phantom Send a message via AIM to [toj.cc]Phantom Send a message via MSN to [toj.cc]Phantom Send a message via Yahoo to [toj.cc]Phantom

Quote:
Oh, now that's just mean.
Mean? He was a cop and the idiot criminals got what they deserved.
Old 12-04-2005, 04:55 AM   #656
BOss

Quote:
Mean? He was a cop and the idiot criminals got what they deserved.
Mean to me, in relation to the post prior to that of which I said was mean, about how I was finding it ridiculous how people keep saying they like all of these "crap" movies, and then somebody says they wanted to see walking tall, of which is obviously a bad movie because it stars the rock.
Old 12-04-2005, 04:56 AM   #657
Banned User

Now now kids. Fight nice.
Old 12-04-2005, 04:57 AM   #658
The Punisher

Quote:
Mean to me, in relation to the post prior to that of which I said was mean, about how I was finding it ridiculous how people keep saying they like all of these "crap" movies, and then somebody says they wanted to see walking tall, of which is obviously a bad movie because it stars the rock.
No, I said I have seen Walking Tall. I said I wanted to see the three original movies (trilogy) which stared Joe Don Baker as Bufford Pusser.
Old 12-04-2005, 05:08 AM   #659
Epinionated.

@Murderhouse - Do you want to join in discussion and have fun in the presence of a bunch of great folk, or are you just keen on getting shunned and kicked off the forum? 'Cos either you're attempting humour or just want to piss people off. Which is it?
Old 12-04-2005, 05:19 AM   #660
BOss

Quote:
Originally Posted by squarejawhero
@Murderhouse - Do you want to join in discussion and have fun in the presence of a bunch of great folk, or are you just keen on getting shunned and kicked off the forum? 'Cos either you're attempting humour or just want to piss people off. Which is it?
I made note of some of my opinions earlier that were misinterpreted, I apologised to all of whom these opinions may have affected on an emotional level, other than what I have kindly apologised for, what problems do you find?