You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Recent movies seen

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-29-2005, 08:46 PM   #621
OUATIJ Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snarky
Yojimbo ain't that great, either. Kurosawa made plenty of much better movies.
Yojimbo is pretty damn good. It's John Sayles' favorite movie of all time, and he doesn't exactly have poor taste (at least I wouldn't think so if he could make a film like Lone Star). Yojimbo is brilliantly shot (by Kazuo Miyagawa, the best cinematographer Japan ever had), filled with delightful moments, and features a splendid main character that helped invent "cool" in cinema. Mifune is electrifying in the movie. Period. I think Kurosawa has only made five superior films to Yojimbo, and with a director as good as Kurosawa that still places Yojimbo pretty high as movies go.

Quote:
And acclaiming Peter Jackson is so trendy these days that I think a fair number of elitists are being swept up. (Besides, real snobs don't rate the original that highly, anyway.)
You've got a point, but at the same time, I was a Peter Jackson fan back before he had even made The Frighteners. I became a P.J. fan around the time he made Heavenly Creatures in 1994. I remember skipping school one day to go rent Bad Taste and Meet the Feebles at a cult video store. So there's no "jumping on the bandwagon" for me. I was already there over a decade ago. Also, the original Kong gets plenty of love from film snobs, but most of them still address the flaws of the movie as they praise it. And there's no denying it has some major flaws...

Quote:
I don't get what the fuss is all about, though. All the clips so far have looked terribly computer-generated. And I could just about excuse a three-hour bloat in the Lord of the Rings movies, but for King Kong?!
The NBC exclusive preview is what sold me. It's a 4 minute uncut sequence from the film. It was great stuff. Amazing CG effects. Best I've seen thus far.

Last edited by Once A Villain; 11-29-2005 at 11:20 PM.
Old 11-30-2005, 01:37 AM   #622

Quote:
Originally Posted by Once A Villain
You've got a point, but at the same time, I was a Peter Jackson fan back before he had even made The Frighteners. I became a P.J. fan around the time he made Heavenly Creatures in 1994.
And, of course, you stopped being his fan after the utterly unimaginative Lord of the Rings trilogy?
Old 11-30-2005, 04:30 AM   #623
OUATIJ Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninth
And, of course, you stopped being his fan after the utterly unimaginative Lord of the Rings trilogy?
Ha ha, well I actually drifted away from him before the LOTR trilogy, but I still like him. In other words, I don't absolutely adore his work like I did when I was younger (I was also a huge Sam Raimi fan in those days). As far as LOTR goes though...I must say I like the trilogy quite a bit. They might be overrated to some extent, but I find them quite enjoyable regardless. Also, I can't stand the "Peter Jackson is God" fans these days that emerged in the wake of the LOTR trilogy. Nerds who had never even heard of Peter Jackson before were suddenly following his career religiously. Ugh...
Old 11-30-2005, 04:56 AM   #624

Quote:
They might be overrated to some extent, but I find them quite enjoyable regardless.
They are incredibly overrated. I mean, even the Harry Potter movies are more interesting...
But yes, quite enjoyable fits them.
Old 11-30-2005, 07:56 AM   #625
OUATIJ Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninth
They are incredibly overrated. I mean, even the Harry Potter movies are more interesting...
But yes, quite enjoyable fits them.
Hmmm, I think the Potter films are equally overrated. Perhaps moreso.
Old 11-30-2005, 07:58 AM   #626
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Quote:
At least the Potter films make sense to those who haven't read the books...

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 11-30-2005, 08:28 AM   #627
OUATIJ Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLacey
You may have a point there. The extended cuts help a bit in that regard I think. Over two hours was cut from the entire trilogy if one only views the theatrical cuts. However, one thing that still wasn't explained to my satisfaction in the films was the return of Gandalf, gone from Grey to White. If memory serves, this wasn't thoroughly explained in the books either until The Silmarrion. It bothers me, but I'll live...
Old 11-30-2005, 08:31 AM   #628

Quote:
I never heard anybody claiming that they were masterpieces, but I've heard some saying that for Lord of the Rings.
So I'd say LotR is much more overrated, in my limited experience.
Old 11-30-2005, 09:47 AM   #629
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Could you give an example in what way LOTR movies don't make sense? I don't think I've heard such a complaint before.
Old 11-30-2005, 10:27 AM   #630
Just charging up

Yesterday I saw A Tale of Two Sisters

A really good Korean "psychological" horror movie IMHO.
It does get off to a slow start and it could very well go over your head the first time you see it.
But all the pieces pretty much fall together in the end.
It's still one of those movies where watching it a second time really pays off though.
I especially liked the fact that while the main storyline leaves little room for discussion not all is disclosed or explained like Hollywood tends to do.

Fans of more subtle horror should definately give it a try...
Old 11-30-2005, 10:33 AM   #631
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFGNCAAP
Could you give an example in what way LOTR movies don't make sense? I don't think I've heard such a complaint before.
Well, admittedly I'm not sure that the books make sense, but let's take the random moment from the first film that finally convinced me it wasn't worth trying to follow the plot...

There's a bit where the heroes are wandering through the mountains, and Evil Christopher Lee Wizardâ„¢ magically causes an avalanche.

Now, if the guy has such extreme power of nature, why can't he uproot the trees in the fight in the forest later on in the same film?

Also, the characters in the film really do just wander to a location [cut to nice shot of New Zealand] and then say "We need to go to XXXX!", before moving on again. Possibly with a fight scene first.

I dunno; I never got more than about ten pages into the book, and the film struck me as silly, rushed and unexplained.

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 11-30-2005, 11:13 AM   #632
Dungeon Master

Quote:
There's a bit where the heroes are wandering through the mountains, and Evil Christopher Lee Wizardâ„¢ magically causes an avalanche.

Now, if the guy has such extreme power of nature, why can't he uproot the trees in the fight in the forest later on in the same film?
An off-the-top-of-my-head explanation with no reference to the books whatsoever: Maybe his power are restricted only to some forces of nature? If you had watched Two Towers, you'd find out that flora and him doesn't exactly live on good terms with each other.

Besides, that's a type of thing you can as easily easlier accuse of many, if not most, stories that involve magicians or otherwise superpowerful entities, which seem to forget their abilities when the plot requires it (now playing: Fahrenheit ). And I haven't watched any of the Harry Potters, but judging from the books, they're hardly an exception.
Quote:
Also, the characters in the film really do just wander to a location [cut to nice shot of New Zealand] and then say "We need to go to XXXX!", before moving on again. Possibly with a fight scene first.
While this may be frustrating for avid fans of the original who miss certain scenes and characters and subplots, I don't see how leaving all those details in would make it any less confusing for "those who haven't read the books", which was your main concern.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think the screenplay was perfect. But I felt, and was told so by people who hadn't known the source prior to watching it, it stood rather firmly on its own.
Old 11-30-2005, 11:17 AM   #633
Citizen of Bizarro World

I just watched Stealth on DVD. 'Tis a very entertaining movie that got shit grades. Compare that to Red Eye, a piece of cinematic diarrhea that got excellent reviews. What is this world coming to?! Does it seem like lately, a whole buncha directors are getting "A" for effort, even though their products are mediocre at best?
Under land of no free! Am us home coward-leeee!

~Excerpt from the Bizarro Anthem
Old 11-30-2005, 11:34 AM   #634
OUATIJ Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mares
Compare that to Red Eye, a piece of cinematic diarrhea that got excellent reviews. What is this world coming to?!
I wouldn't say "excellent" personally. It does have an 81% at Rotten Tomatoes (135 good reviews, 32 negative...remember a 2 1/2 out of 4 is considered a good review, same as a 6/10). However, if you look at the average rating over all of the reviews, it's a 6.7 out of 10. One could argue that it deserves a lower rating than 6.7, but in my view, once you get that low it's not worth complaining about anyhow.
Old 11-30-2005, 11:46 AM   #635
Citizen of Bizarro World

That's a huge relief, thanks. I guess I'll keep a closer eye on what Rotten Tomatoes is really saying in the future.
Under land of no free! Am us home coward-leeee!

~Excerpt from the Bizarro Anthem
Old 11-30-2005, 11:48 AM   #636
Epinionated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Veil
Yesterday I saw A Tale of Two Sisters

A really good Korean "psychological" horror movie IMHO.
It does get off to a slow start and it could very well go over your head the first time you see it.
But all the pieces pretty much fall together in the end.
It's still one of those movies where watching it a second time really pays off though.
I especially liked the fact that while the main storyline leaves little room for discussion not all is disclosed or explained like Hollywood tends to do.

Fans of more subtle horror should definately give it a try...
One of my favourite ever films. Really beautiful, a true "anti-Amelie".
Old 11-30-2005, 11:53 AM   #637
Just charging up

Quote:
Originally Posted by squarejawhero
One of my favourite ever films. Really beautiful, a true "anti-Amelie".
and coincidentally Amélie (Le fabuleux destin d'Amélie Poulain) is one of my favourite ever films...

small world isn't it?
Old 11-30-2005, 12:07 PM   #638
Epinionated.

It's a small world aaafter alll, it's a small world aaaafter all...

OK I'll shut up.
Old 11-30-2005, 05:21 PM   #639
Huz
Kersal Massive

Send a message via MSN to Huz

Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang
Very funny and original, if a little sick in places! I think I only laughed out loud once, but the cinema was so empty I felt all self-conscious. The laugh-out-loud moment really was hilarious though!

The Exorcism of Emily Rose
The scariest bits were all seen in the trailer (as usual for horror movies, I suppose), but I really enjoyed this. Courtroom scenes combined with flashbacks are always compelling - when they're not badly done and cheesy - and this got it just right. It was also quite sparing with the jumpy moments, so when they came they were more effective.

Probably laughed out loud more here than in Kiss Kiss Bang Bang - someone in the (absolutely packed) cinema screamed.
Old 11-30-2005, 11:43 PM   #640

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Veil
and coincidentally Amélie (Le fabuleux destin d'Amélie Poulain) is one of my favourite ever films...

small world isn't it?
There's another movie by the guy who made Amelie, which takes place during (or right after) WW1. Title in french is "Un long dimanche de fiancailles. And I liked it better than Amélie. I though it was more subtle, and the main character more attractive (because she's a bit evil).