You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Recent movies seen

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-22-2005, 08:04 AM   #581

Send a message via AIM to imichaelj

Quote:
Originally Posted by seebaruk
I'll probably check it out, I'm a big horror fan. Although they are playing up the 'Quentin Tarantino Presents...' bit, which is kind of worrying, since 'FamousDirectorX Presents...' almost always results in a huge pile of shite. Last one I remember was Wes Craven Presents Wishmaster.

I'll prob also check out Final Destination 3, it looks like a carbon copy of the last 2 but I liked em so that's not necessarily a bad thing. Trailer for that is on the web now too. Big nasty accident involves a rollercoaster this time.
The Final Destination trailer looked alright. At least it didn't leave me feeling sick to my stomach after watching it. Hostel more or less looked like 90+ minutes of graphic torture. I'm okay with horror films like FD, Scream, The Frighteners, etc (maybe these aren't really horror films?), but things like Hellraiser, Feast, Hostel, and so on seem more revolting than entertaining or interesting.

evolve - quit playing with yourself
"jesters do oft prove prophets." - william shakespeare
Old 11-22-2005, 08:20 AM   #582
Chris Barraclough

Quote:
Originally Posted by imichaelj
The Final Destination trailer looked alright. At least it didn't leave me feeling sick to my stomach after watching it. Hostel more or less looked like 90+ minutes of graphic torture. I'm okay with horror films like FD, Scream, The Frighteners, etc (maybe these aren't really horror films?), but things like Hellraiser, Feast, Hostel, and so on seem more revolting than entertaining or interesting.
Yeah, think you're right mate. The trailer does give the impression that it's lots of torture sequences strung together to make a film. And if it is then it'll be rubbish, just going for shock value with squeamish people. I suppose Final Destination isn't much more than a string of people getting killed off, but they're done in an inventive (and sometimes comic) way, so I like em

Spoiler:
FD2 had some brilliant deaths, my favourite was probably the kid going squish under the huge pane of glass, although the guy getting sliced apart by the flying barbed wire fence was quality too

I wouldn't class Hellraiser in the same group as the likes of hostel, I thought that was a fantastic film, pretty gruesome at times definitely, but went beyond that.

Check out www.chrisbarraclough.co.uk for promotions and giveaways. Twitter: Seebaruk
Old 11-22-2005, 08:34 AM   #583

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalia
We saw “When We Were Kings” last night. Fantastic documentary following the famous “Rumble in the Jungle” fight between Muhammad Ali and George Foreman in Zaire. Ali was such a charismatic man – a pleasure to listen to, to watch; his athleticism was absolutely beautiful. And that fight. Now, I’m not a fan of boxing at all, but watching the sleeping elephant wake up was amazing. Also, I think I’m little bit in love with George Plympton. I aspire to eventually be credited as he was in the movie (George Plympton: Actor/Writer/Adventurer).
Incredible documentary, that.
Old 11-22-2005, 08:35 AM   #584

Send a message via AIM to imichaelj

Quote:
Originally Posted by seebaruk
I wouldn't class Hellraiser in the same group as the likes of hostel, I thought that was a fantastic film, pretty gruesome at times definitely, but went beyond that.
Touche. I agree with you. I was improperly basing my opinion of Hellraiser on the few times I looked at the (sixth) film (it was playing on a t.v. that I wasn't really watching). Of course the only times I looked at it were based on the audio, and that just so happened to correspond to the rather ... umm ... disturbing death sequences. It did seem to have a far better plot than Hostel.

My favorite bit about Hostel so far is the "inspired by true events" tagline. These, uhh, "true" events didn't take place in Slovakia. They didn't involve backpackers. It was really just one "event." And it was more a rumor than anything else. Apparently (at some point) there existed a website where one could pay a fee and then show up at an address and shoot someone bound to a chair. Or something like that. I somehow doubt this website ever existed.

evolve - quit playing with yourself
"jesters do oft prove prophets." - william shakespeare
Old 11-22-2005, 08:42 AM   #585
Mrs. Bear

Send a message via AIM to natalia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninth
Incredible documentary, that.
Definitely. It was amazing that Gast had that footage for more than 20 years. Seeing the video from that time period just made it crackle with energy.
Old 11-22-2005, 11:28 AM   #586
Chris Barraclough

Quote:
Originally Posted by imichaelj
My favorite bit about Hostel so far is the "inspired by true events" tagline. These, uhh, "true" events didn't take place in Slovakia. They didn't involve backpackers. It was really just one "event." And it was more a rumor than anything else. Apparently (at some point) there existed a website where one could pay a fee and then show up at an address and shoot someone bound to a chair. Or something like that. I somehow doubt this website ever existed.
Hehe, sounds like Wolf Creek, inspired by true events that actually didn't happen, a couple of people went missing, certainly no one was
Spoiler:
impaled on a wall or had their fingers cut off and their spinal cords slit.

Check out www.chrisbarraclough.co.uk for promotions and giveaways. Twitter: Seebaruk
Old 11-23-2005, 12:09 AM   #587
Living with my love

Send a message via MSN to Tobbe

Movies seen yesterday:

Windtalkers

Have been waiting a long time to see this movie, and I must say, I really loved it, great performance, especially Nicholas Cage

The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (the original)

Had my hopes up for this movie, and they really paid off, creepy guy that Leatherface, and I love the fact that Tobe Hooper misspelled Chainsaw!

Cat´s Eye

Now THAT was a dull movie!
Old 11-23-2005, 01:07 AM   #588
OUATIJ Creator

I've been working on getting through a 16 hour British miniseries from the mid-80's called The Jewel in the Crown. I'm 9 hours in, and the ending of the last episode I just saw was disturbing as hell (the "Ring of Fire" part if anyone has seen it)...
Old 11-25-2005, 06:25 PM   #589

Default Skeleton Key

I just saw the Skeleton Key and overall, I thought it was really creative. I've never heard of "Hoodoo?" before so it was a completely new idea to me. I do hate that creepy cult/voodoo/demon/posessed stuff. But I liked the twist in the end even though it became quite predictable. It unraveled slowly so there wasn't much shock at the end.

It was very clever- but I won't be watching it again.
Old 11-26-2005, 12:17 AM   #590
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

Hahhah!

I saw Avenging Angelo last night. Oh, what a bad movie that was...
Starring Sylvester Stallone and Madeleine Stowe.

It was the last movie that Anthony Quinn acted in before he died.
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 11-28-2005, 12:03 AM   #591
Elegantly copy+pasted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattsius
As for The Jacket I'm extremely divided. On the one hand Adrien Brody showed once again that he's a very talented actor, Keira Knightley in my opinion does her best job ever (that's not to say that it's very good though), the amazing camera work and the complexity of the plot. On the other hand there are some serious plot holes and you might end up a bit, in lack of a better word, stunned at the end of the movie, not really knowing if you just saw a severely flawed movie or a masterpiece.
But personally I would recommend you to watch it, if just for the experience. The movie is quite unique. You don't see this every day.
Wow, I couldn't agree less. I just saw The Jacket on DVD, and my reaction is very simple: I'm pissed that I wasted my money and my time on this derivative piece of garbage.

Take two parts The Butterfly Effect and one part 12 Monkeys, add a dash of Jacob's Ladder, and make sure you get a nice happy ending, and you have The Jacket. I almost think the filmmakers were trying to give viewers a sense of what time traveling is like by inducing a constant sense of déj* vu: I don't think there was a single element or scene in this film that wasn't lifted from a better movie.

The characters are one-dimensional, the acting questionable, the plot so straightforward and predictable that you could recite the whole thing after the first third (not to mention full of holes and obvious contrivances). The only thing that surprised me, given the excess of clichés on display, was that there isn't a dog for Adrien Brody to befriend. And stupid American test-audiences had the sex scene cut to shreds, so there's not even any prurient reason to watch this film.

If you like time-traveling films with a psychological edge, but for some reason haven't seen any, you might excuse The Jacket's lack of originality. If you don't mind a plot that can't withstand ten seconds' worth of scrutiny, you might even enjoy it. Otherwise, steer clear!
Old 11-28-2005, 01:11 AM   #592

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snarky
Otherwise, steer clear!
Well, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
Old 11-28-2005, 03:06 AM   #593
capsized.

Last Exit To Brooklyn. It seems that you can't go wrong with a movie that has a prostitute called Tralala in it....
Old 11-28-2005, 07:43 AM   #594

Default The Jacket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snarky
I just saw The Jacket on DVD, and my reaction is very simple: I'm pissed that I wasted my money and my time on this derivative piece of garbage ... steer clear!
I couldn't agree more. You said everything I thought about this movie.
Old 11-28-2005, 07:56 AM   #595

The story of Jacket is not really what's interesting in this movie. It's more the atmosphere that's compelling, and the way the mystery unfolds itself (the narration).
Plus, Snarky mentioned an happy ending... Didn't seem very happy to me.
Old 11-28-2005, 08:15 AM   #596

Default The Jacket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninth
The story of Jacket is not really what's interesting in this movie. It's more the atmosphere that's compelling, and the way the mystery unfolds itself (the narration). Plus, Snarky mentioned an happy ending... Didn't seem very happy to me.
Welllll... I guess I didn't like the atmosphere or the mystery then. I just remember hating the movie. Didn't they catch the bad lady in the end? I don't really remember- but maybe that's the happy ending he was talking about.
Old 11-28-2005, 08:32 AM   #597

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIDance
Welllll... I guess I didn't like the atmosphere or the mystery then. I just remember hating the movie. Didn't they catch the bad lady in the end? I don't really remember- but maybe that's the happy ending he was talking about.
Spoiler:
The guy dies. The girl gets a better life.

I guess that's not exactly unhappy, but...
Old 11-28-2005, 08:52 AM   #598

[QUOTE=Ninth]
Spoiler:
The guy dies. The girl gets a better life.

Oh yea, that's right. Wasn't Ewan McGregor in that? He was also in a movie called The Island with Scarlet Johanson(sp?) that isn't out on DVD yet. That was really good. It has a twist and a mystery- much better thank The Jacket. Have you seen it?
Old 11-28-2005, 10:07 AM   #599
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

Nope, Ewan McGregor wasn't in The Jacket, but Adrian Brody was.
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 11-28-2005, 10:20 AM   #600

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolzig
Nope, Ewan McGregor wasn't in The Jacket, but Adrian Brody was.
Oops. Can you tell I didn't like the movie? Nothing about it stuck in my mind. Now that I'm thinking about it none of Brody's movies have tickled my fancy. The Dummy was especially AWFUL.