You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Recent movies seen

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2005, 08:56 AM   #501

The new Harry Potter movie is coming out soon and that will become the most recent movie normally I wait until the movies come out on DVd before seeing them but this time I'll make an exception.
Old 11-16-2005, 01:37 PM   #502
Chris Barraclough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattsius
Hope I was at least of some help.
Cheers mate, that was very helpful! I'll prob leave The Jacket til it comes on TV, but I'm an action junkie so Cellular will prob be checked out when I'm feling braindead.

Just saw Saw 2 at last, good film, especially that screwed up intro.

Check out www.chrisbarraclough.co.uk for promotions and giveaways. Twitter: Seebaruk
Old 11-16-2005, 02:23 PM   #503
Feind der Anonymitaet!

Send a message via ICQ to pinkgothic Send a message via AIM to pinkgothic Send a message via Yahoo to pinkgothic

Corpse Bride

Awesome! Just awesome. I loved it. There's really not much more to say

Well, that's not true. I should mention that parts of it scared me much more than a horror movie ever would. Not many bits, and usually just details... but yikes. Skincrawling. I love it.
Winner of the Second-Best-Dressed and Non-Specific awards in the Unbiased Impostor Awardsâ„¢, amongst many others.

Non-Conformist to Non-Conformismâ„¢
Internet Explodifierâ„¢ - the best weapon of mass destruction!!!11one
Trademark Overuserâ„¢
Old 11-16-2005, 03:39 PM   #504

The last movie I saw was Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith. It fills in some of the blanks like who Darth Vader really was and how he became evil and how come Luke Skywalker never knew the identity of his father.
Old 11-16-2005, 04:07 PM   #505
Hoopy frood

I honestly cannot remember the last movie I went to. I remember going to see Star Wars Episode III, until my friend decided at the last minute that he didn't want to see it so we went and saw Kingdom of Heaven instead. And I think that was it.

Unfortunately, the next movie I'm going to see is Harry Potter 4, because I promised to take my girlfriend out of love. Blech. If love is taking people to see Harry Potter, I'll choose hermithood, thank you.
Old 11-16-2005, 04:17 PM   #506
Banned User

Rules of Attraction, Kingdom of Heaven.
Old 11-16-2005, 04:20 PM   #507
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

I have a Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith DVD sitting here waiting to be watched .

And I'm off to see Harry Potter on Saturday (which I expect to mock afterwards). I should be ashamed of how mass-market my film tastes appear to be ...

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 11-16-2005, 04:39 PM   #508
Vigilant

Haha, do not feel ashamed. Everyone has succumed to the propaganda of the Hollywood. Even halfway around the world where I live, people die to see American made movies because of all the glitz and glamour. I expect to see Harry Potter with my children, as they are avid readers of the damned books, I myself do not care for them much. They are creative and psuedo-innovative, but I would take the Lord of The Ring books any day. Is it just me, or is American film becoming a slave to what sells: sex, violence, and swearing? I don't mind any of it, but it tends to ruin the concentration of effort on the part of the film makers, eh?
Old 11-16-2005, 04:52 PM   #509
Banned User

I don't get people who shun Hollywood movies because they're a nice and shiny package. You all try so hard to be cool and "indie" by watching films from like...friggin Siberia or awful French films like Amalie...ya know, films that are odd for the sake of being odd.

If a movie is good, then it's good. It doesn't matter what its budget is.
Old 11-16-2005, 05:02 PM   #510

Quote:
Originally Posted by temporaryscars
I don't get people who shun Hollywood movies because they're a nice and shiny package. You all try so hard to be cool and "indie" by watching films from like...friggin Siberia or awful French films like Amalie...ya know, films that are odd for the sake of being odd.

They're not good.

And what I mean is, some of them are really bad, most of them are tolerable, but have always the same inherent flaws (stupid happy endings, Punisher syndrome - the law isn't up to it, so I will kill all the evil doers - , marriage is the only acceptable way for two people to be together syndrome, evil evil evil bad guys, and sickeningly nice good guys, etc...), and a very few manage to somehow escape those flaws, or at least some of them.
Like Master and Commander (if that's a Hollywood movie).

Take Gladiator, for example, what could have been an excellent movie what ruined at the end by turning history on its head for the sake of morals. Hollywood has that effect on movies. On most of them, anyway.

EDIT: And I wish people would stop assume that people watch so-called weird movies because the want ot feel indie and cool. These movies focus on creativity instead of following established recipes for success. That makes them, you know, more interesting, and sometimes *shock* far better.
Old 11-16-2005, 05:15 PM   #511
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Quote:

Actually, Amélie is an ace film, and I'm not just saying that because it's French and done in a slightly crazy, offbeat style. Also I too tend to find it tiring when people dismiss Hollywood films for not being low-budget, edgy and "different". Mind you, I'm talking about the people who can only possibly like a film on the grounds that nobody else has heard of it ...

Old 11-16-2005, 05:16 PM   #512
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninth
EDIT: And I wish people would stop assume that people watch so-called weird movies because the want ot feel indie and cool. These movies focus on creativity instead of following established recipes for success. That makes them, you know, more interesting, and sometimes *shock* far better.
I'm not assuming that everyone does - I enjoy a lot of these films myself. What irritates me is when people start assuming that because a film is niche it must be better.

Old 11-16-2005, 05:25 PM   #513

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLacey
I'm not assuming that everyone does - I enjoy a lot of these films myself. What irritates me is when people start assuming that because a film is niche it must be better.
Hm, niche films are not always better, certainly, but almost always more interesting. I'm almost never surprised by Hollywood, and not being surprised gets boring after a while.
I'd even go as far as say I'd rather see a lousy obnoxious indie movie than the average ok hollywood movie. Because at least you'll remember the first for years, while you'll forget the second in hours.
Old 11-16-2005, 05:26 PM   #514

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLacey
Actually, Amélie is an ace film, and I'm not just saying that because it's French and done in a slightly crazy, offbeat style. Also I too tend to find it tiring when people dismiss Hollywood films for not being low-budget, edgy and "different". Mind you, I'm talking about the people who can only possibly like a film on the grounds that nobody else has heard of it ...
Oh, and by the way, Amélie is the closest you can get to a "hollywoodian french movie".
Old 11-16-2005, 05:28 PM   #515
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninth
They're not good.

And what I mean is, some of them are really bad, most of them are tolerable, but have always the same inherent flaws (stupid happy endings, Punisher syndrome - the law isn't up to it, so I will kill all the evil doers - , marriage is the only acceptable way for two people to be together syndrome, evil evil evil bad guys, and sickeningly nice good guys, etc...), and a very few manage to somehow escape those flaws, or at least some of them.
Like Master and Commander (if that's a Hollywood movie).

Take Gladiator, for example, what could have been an excellent movie what ruined at the end by turning history on its head for the sake of morals. Hollywood has that effect on movies. On most of them, anyway.

Of course there are a ton of bad American movies. Shit, throw a rock and you're bound to hit a "romantic comedy" and they all suck, minus The Wedding Singer, but there are a ton of shit French movies as well (hello, I Stand Alone ring a bell? Baise Moi? I rest my case.) not to mention other countries as well. But those countries also have good movies, like City of Lost Children (I think...I haven't decided yet...). So you can't say "OH MAN! IT'S A HOLLYWOOD MOVIE!? IT MUST SUCK!" because it applies to movies from everywhere.

Oh, and your comment about happy endings and characters who are all good or bad, that's complete crap. I haven't seen a movie like that since the 60's. The majority of characters from movies today have some sort of flaw/redeeming quality unless it's a childrens movie. And you see bad endings just as much as you see happy ones. Look at your friggin avatar.
Old 11-16-2005, 05:49 PM   #516
OUATIJ Creator

Quote:
So you can't say "OH MAN! IT'S A HOLLYWOOD MOVIE!? IT MUST SUCK!" because it applies to movies from everywhere.
Sure, movies from anywhere can suck. But Hollywood movies seem to suck just a bit more often. Not in the old days, mind you. Hollywood used to be a force to be reckoned with.
Old 11-16-2005, 05:52 PM   #517
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Once A Villain
Sure, movies from anywhere can suck. But Hollywood movies seem to suck just a bit more often. Not in the old days, mind you. Hollywood used to be a force to be reckoned with.
Maybe that's because they make more movies? It's like saying America has more fat people than Holland. Well, yeah, America has more people.
Old 11-16-2005, 07:16 PM   #518
Elegantly copy+pasted

Quote:
Originally Posted by TangentBlack
Haha, do not feel ashamed. Everyone has succumed to the propaganda of the Hollywood. Even halfway around the world where I live, people die to see American made movies because of all the glitz and glamour. I expect to see Harry Potter with my children, as they are avid readers of the damned books, I myself do not care for them much. They are creative and psuedo-innovative, but I would take the Lord of The Ring books any day. Is it just me, or is American film becoming a slave to what sells: sex, violence, and swearing? I don't mind any of it, but it tends to ruin the concentration of effort on the part of the film makers, eh?
Of course, the Harry Potter movies aren't actually from Hollywood. Made in the UK, with a British cast and (now) an English director...
Old 11-16-2005, 07:29 PM   #519

Default lu

Quote:
Of course there are a ton of bad American movies. Shit, throw a rock and you're bound to hit a "romantic comedy" and they all suck, minus The Wedding Singer, but there are a ton of shit French movies as well (hello, I Stand Alone ring a bell? Baise Moi? I rest my case.) not to mention other countries as well. But those countries also have good movies, like City of Lost Children (I think...I haven't decided yet...). So you can't say "OH MAN! IT'S A HOLLYWOOD MOVIE!? IT MUST SUCK!" because it applies to movies from everywhere.

Oh, and your comment about happy endings and characters who are all good or bad, that's complete crap. I haven't seen a movie like that since the 60's. The majority of characters from movies today have some sort of flaw/redeeming quality unless it's a childrens movie. And you see bad endings just as much as you see happy ones. Look at your friggin avatar.
I'm confused. What's being american has to do with it? Most of my favorite movies are american, just not hollywoodian, like Requiem for a Dream, which you strangely used as an example.

Hollywoodian movies have shitty characters, shitty endings, shitty values, with some extremely rare exceptions. And don't give me the "hero has flaws" argument, the "I look and behave like a badass but really deep inside I'm a good guy" hero is as old a cliche as the righteous hero.

I have no idea what "I stand alone is", by the way. In any case, french movies are more often than not trying to be something more than pretty and shiny dumb things (although it's more and more the case these days). They end up shitty as often as hollywoodian movies, but at least, like I said, they're interesting.
Old 11-16-2005, 07:31 PM   #520

Quote:
Maybe that's because they make more movies? It's like saying America has more fat people than Holland. Well, yeah, America has more people.
They have more fat people than China, too, but I don't think this proves anything. And no, Hollywood doesn't make more movies, they just have enough money to choke everyone to death with their blandness all over the world.
Plus, and what's worse, other country are trying to follow their path, making atrocious "Hollywood-like" movies. Next time I see a bullet-time effect, I'll probably scream.