You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Recent movies seen

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2010, 12:48 PM   #3901
Stalker of Britain

I've been going to the movies a lot lately.

Just saw "Despicable Me"-cute, but not anywhere near "Finding Nemo" classic.
"Sorcerer's Apprentice"-it was fine, nothing earth shattering.
"Dinner with Shmucks"-I thought it would be better than it was. Steve Carrell was adorable as the slightly slow Barry.
Currently Playing-Trine 2
Games I Want-Kings Bounty: Warriors of the North!!!, Asylum, Last Crown, Braken Tor, Testament of Sherlock Holmes
Old 08-07-2010, 12:06 PM   #3902

Inception

Great movie, and the best film I've seen this summer. It's got a great plot, great acting, and some good action. Plus, it's got an ingenious ending, that makes you ponder about it after the movie is over.

By the way, if you're wondering where I've been, in the past few months, I've become a member of Giant Bomb, and I go on the forums there a lot.
Old 08-07-2010, 02:57 PM   #3903
Stalker of Britain

Saw "Predator". It was good, but it didn't really show the predators sense of honor. They kind of look like the elites in Halo. And why do I always fall for the bad guy that we don't know is a bad guy? Enough said. lol
Games I Want-Kings Bounty: Warriors of the North!!!, Asylum, Last Crown, Braken Tor, Testament of Sherlock Holmes
Old 08-10-2010, 11:18 AM   #3904
The Quiet One

My Neighbour Totoro

A little bit disappointed with this one; completely inferior to Spirited Away imo. The animation, considering when it was done, is gorgeous and detailed, the music is very good, and there are some humorous scenes. Sadly, there isn't that much of a story to this one. The two kids were both cute, loud and annoying. As a result, the film felt a bit childish. Also, the main character, Totoro could have been used/featured a bit more than he was. The film had potential, but I felt underwhelmed with what I got.

Now Playing: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut (DS and iPhone), DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All, Silent Hill - HD Collection
Recently Completed: Max Payne, Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
Next: Bayonetta, Devil May Cry - HD Collection, Max Payne 3, Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection, Silent Hill: Downpour

Last edited by DustyShinigami; 08-10-2010 at 11:31 AM.
Old 08-10-2010, 11:40 AM   #3905
The Quiet One

Inception

Now here's a strange, confusing, entertaining, innovative, and clever film. I was a bit lost and confused with some of the first half - mainly because of how the characters were explaining some things - but by the second half, I started to get a bit more of an understanding. And after researching about the film's plot, it all came together and clicked. There's a bit more to it than meets the eye. Overall, I found the movie to be great and I look forward to a second viewing.

A con/heist movie with a clever and innovative twist. Christopher Nolan sure has potential as a director. That's three movies he's done that are great.

Now Playing: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut (DS and iPhone), DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All, Silent Hill - HD Collection
Recently Completed: Max Payne, Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
Next: Bayonetta, Devil May Cry - HD Collection, Max Payne 3, Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection, Silent Hill: Downpour
Old 08-10-2010, 11:43 AM   #3906
BSC, SSC

Death Wish III. Exhilerating vigilante wish fulfillment with Charles Bronson. It has the backbone to take a controversial theme to its conclusion, and while it's not exactly art cinema, action doesn't get much better.

Old 08-13-2010, 11:08 AM   #3907
Stalker of Britain

I just saw "Inception". It was good, although I didn't think it was as amazing as everyone makes it out to be.
Old 08-14-2010, 02:22 AM   #3908

I saw Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World last night. It was great, probably the best movie I've seen in the longest time. Most certainly won't be suited to everyones definition of funny, though. The last third kind of lost some steam along the way too, but by that point it had already endeared itself enough to me.
Old 08-29-2010, 01:26 AM   #3909
Life and times of...

The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou
A rather strange movie, gets better as it goes. Probably gives you a lot more if you know more about Cousteau, but it was still rather fun. Not an outright comedy, but especially towards the end where it gets more absurd it gets really hilarious. And the action scenes are just brilliant.

Inception
Especially for a Hollywood action-film a very good one, and the story is really well constructed (and manages to be unusually logical, where most movies of this kind at some point go into a phase where it's just illogical that things would go like that, the things just wouldn't work like that). DiCaprio isn't at all as annoying as usual and while towards the end the action starts to get a little tiresome, for most part you manage to not lose interest in the movie, as the action scenes are pretty nicely paced; they don't go on for too long and the structure of the movie allows for plot parts to take place in between. They could've cut some action near the end, but for most of the movie the action has a place in it and doesn't get the priority (which almost always makes for a bad move).
Old 09-02-2010, 06:04 AM   #3910
Failed Birthday Elf

Inception

To be honest I didn't think any film with Leonardo DiCaprio could be that good but this is a really great film! There is so much information packed into the film that it took me most of the next day to process it all.

You are really thrown in at the deep end watching this, but I think that's a good thing, an action movie you actually have to think about. Certainly there are some plot holes and inconsistencies but the idea and the way it is presented more than make up for it. Also the bar is set at a new height as effects go, and I don't doubt the hotel corridor fight scene will be much copied and parodied in films for the foreseeable future.

Good acting, idea, effects, execution, well... pretty much good everything.

5/5 Schattenjegar talismans!
Old 09-03-2010, 10:59 AM   #3911

Step Up in 3D--Nothing spectacular now that all movies are in 3D.
Old 09-08-2010, 09:30 PM   #3912

It's interesting to see what everyone thinks of Inception in here

I think the one thing most people I've come across overlooked (including myself until I thought it through a little more) is how much subtext there is in the first half. I used to tell people that the first half was just exposition and the movie only began in the second half, but after long consideration I began to realise just how important so many of the signs really are...

Spoiler:
to me, there are so many things which portray Leo's world as a dream - his wife's dream, that he never woke up from. His father telling him to come back to reality, the way things seem to occur somewhat randomly, the way people are even talking (yes, the exposition) are all elements of this reality. I particularly like the moment when he becomes jammed in between the walls, a very surreal moment that when you think about it doesn't really make sense in reality, but as a dream represents the pressures he has and the world closing in on him. Then of course out of nowhere he gets saved. Even the fact that the dream within a dream the go to is without their children, something they would have created for the dream world he's in the majority of the film. Why go to a dream world without their children to be happy unless they were never really their children to begin with?

Those are my considerations at least...

EDIT: Predators was absolutely terrible! A lame attempt to better great and iconic moments from the original...

Now playing: The Longest Journey, Gray Matter, Lost Horizon
Recently finished: Sanitarium
Looking Forward To: Deponia, Resonance
Old 09-12-2010, 12:31 PM   #3913
BSC, SSC

Tombstone, the 1993 western about events before and after the O.K. Corral shootout.

Though it's technically flawed and perhaps not a "great" movie in an artistic sense -which probably isn't the point anyway- all the intangible aspects, driven by a nice script and good acting, come together to make the film so very likeable. Val Kilmer, in particular, puts in a DAZZLING Doc Holliday. Never saw one of his roles before, but this was impressive. What a great character.

It strays a little wide of the main plot at times, but it's a classic Western if you can look past the pacing issues to enjoy the meat of the film.

Last edited by haptsonir; 09-12-2010 at 01:15 PM.
Old 09-13-2010, 07:38 PM   #3914
Lovable rogue

I watched Julie & Julia the other day, I'd never heard of Julia Child before, but Meryl Streep's performance made me take a shining to this woman. I'm almost tempted to buy her book and attempt to cook something.

"My mental image of Jat is a gentleman sitting in a leather armchair, wearing a robe. The light in the room is dim and strangely he's not sitting in front of a computer, but next to a small, round table with a box of cigars on." - Jelena

Old 09-17-2010, 09:54 PM   #3915
Hitch-Hiker

Send a message via MSN to Dasilva

Saw Avatar the Extended Edition in 3D for the first time in the cinema. Was quite nice, I liked the extra footage. Awsome film look forward to the next 2 films in the series.

"If you don't get out of the box you've been raised in, you won't understand how much bigger the world is." - Angelina Jolie

_

<Susan falls through the floor and gets stuck>
<Paco looks at her blankly>
"Whats wrong with you?! Lassy would of had a firetruck here by now!"
- Susan Mayer, Desperate Housewives
Old 09-17-2010, 10:36 PM   #3916
Freeware Co-ordinator

If you're looking for subtle nuanced characters and complex well-rounded story then Resident Evil Afterlife (in 3D) will disappoint you in all aspects. Whilst everything else is in 3D, the characters are strictly two-dimensional (and even that is going too far for some of them) It would also be wrong to say that this film is full of plotholes. You have to have something resembling a plot in the first place to have plotholes. What it does have is enormous, spectacular setpieces (stunts, explosions, shooting, zombie hordes, lots of slo-mo) and it makes great use of it's 3D. Bullets, water droplets, glass shards, knives, zombie body parts, and in one truly over-the-top moment, a 10-foot axe/hammer combination, all fly out of the screen at the audience. If you like completely gonzo horror/action flicks and aren't worried that absolutely nothing will make sense then this is one to see at the cinema. Even with a large HD TV I can't see the experience being the same at home.
No Nonsense Nonsonnets #43

Cold Topic

A thread most controversial, that’s what I want to start
Full of impassioned arguments, of posting from the heart
And for this stimulation all will be thankful to me
On come on everybody it won’t work if you agree
Old 09-26-2010, 11:08 AM   #3917
Psychonaut

The Town

Proving that Gone Baby Gone wasn't a fluke and that Ben Affleck maybe a decent director this is a brilliant character piece and heist movie.

Affleck plays an ex hockey player who is now the brains behind a heist crew that robs banks in Boston.

After falling for one of the witnesses on his last job, can he pull off one last heist, get the girl, avoid the FBI who are closing in and break free from his life in Boston.

Fantastic crime movie that has been described as Heat meets The Departed.

I loved it.
Old 09-26-2010, 12:16 PM   #3918
In an evening of July...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucien21 View Post
The Town

Proving that Gone Baby Gone wasn't a fluke and that Ben Affleck maybe a decent director this is a brilliant character piece and heist movie.

Affleck plays an ex hockey player who is now the brains behind a heist crew that robs banks in Boston.

After falling for one of the witnesses on his last job, can he pull off one last heist, get the girl, avoid the FBI who are closing in and break free from his life in Boston.

Fantastic crime movie that has been described as Heat meets The Departed.

I loved it.
Seeing how it has both Jon Hamm and Jeremy Renner really makes me wanna watch it.
Old 01-07-2011, 10:34 PM   #3919
tsa
Playing character

Yesterday I watched most of Food, Inc. I didn't like it at all. In the first minute the director shoved his opinion down your throat, and the rest was a very one-sided view on the food industry. It played far too much on emotion, with far too much attention to the kid who died of salmonella, and some completely irrelevant shots in which animals were kicked and otherwise mistreated sprinkled throughout the film. And they completely ignored the consumer, who wants the cheapest food he can get.
Old 01-08-2011, 02:11 AM   #3920
Lazy Bee

Yesterday evening I watched The Queen. Great film!
I wonder how close to the truth (of how the queen and prince Philip reacted after Lady Di's death) the writers came.
Afterwards I watched the 'real' queen's speech on youtube and read facts about both her and prince Philip. Fascinating in a strange way.