You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Recent movies seen

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-30-2010, 07:37 PM   #3861
A Slice of Fried Gold

Send a message via MSN to SamandMax Send a message via Yahoo to SamandMax

MacGruber. A future cult comedy classic. While the ads marketed it as just another SNL movie, in reality it's an unbelievably filthy, ridiculously silly and just plain weird little film that will instantly gain a following the minute it's released on DVD.

Bruce Springsteen - Wrecking Ball
They Might Be Giants - Dog Walker
The Kinks - Money Talks
Gorillaz - DoYaThing
Old 06-01-2010, 02:13 PM   #3862
handsome

Hana-bi
Not bad, the blood was a bit 'wtf all that from just a punch?!' but i quite liked it.

Naked
David Thwelis was f-ing brilliant in this, loved this masterpiece.

American Werewolf in London
I've seen the 2nd one a few years ago and always wanted to see the 1st one but could find the movie anywhere around here.
Much better than the Paris one (which was an ok movie), i especially liked the awesome transformation scene and the theater part where he's talking to his victims.
Old 06-04-2010, 10:08 PM   #3863

Where the Wild Things Are
I liked it a whole lot, but it didn't quite meet my admittedly high expectations. It left me somewhat depressed.
Old 06-09-2010, 03:02 AM   #3864
Freeware Co-ordinator

House on Haunter Hill followed by House on Haunted Hill

What struck me most was not so much the differences but the similarities. There are still 7 people trapped overnight in an allegedly haunted house. The 7 characters are essentially the same roles (e.g. the test pilot has become an ex-pro baseball player but the part is still strong supportive male) and many of the scenes are at least mirrors of one another.(each guest being given a gun in a little coffin to defend themselves, a tense conversation between millionaire and wife which makes it clear they now hate each other)

The 1959 version is very much a slow psychological horror. The scary happenings are all things that could be supernatural or man-made in origin and the film's refusal to confirm either way (even at the very end there is still some space for doubt) makes it fascinating. By contrast, the 1999 film goes for set-pieces with dramatic, shocking and ocassionally gory special effects. It also firmly confirms the supernatural is in the chair for this one by the end.

Apart from the differences in technology, the main reason for the changes is the need to explain plot points.

In the original there is a house with only one exit locked from the outside (by the caretakers as arranged) where a millionaire invites 7 disparate people to stay overnight (if they dare) Whilst the house has a gruesome history (7 bizarre murders up to the start of the film) no explanation as to why is given. It is also accepted that the lead character is a millionaire wihout explaining how he came by his forture. Similarly, the guest list are simply people he picked who needed money but with no special link to him or the house.

In the remake the house was the site of a mental hospital where horrible experiments were conducted. One day the patients broke out and the head initiated a lock-down, resulting in almost eveyone dying in a subsequent fire. The millionaire is an amusement park owner so we are meant to assume that the "scares" are engineered by him with his background knowledge (though that never really comes off properly) The guest list is also picked by the house rather than the millionaire (though we won't know why until well into the film) so they do all have something in common. This back-story takes over, swamping much of the latter section of the movie.

They are both decent films in their own way. You want sedate and elegant (Vincent Price is wonderfully smooth and sinister) then go with the first. If you want shocking and dark go for the second. If you want an interesting experience watch both back to back like I did.

Inflation is a terrible thing though. In the 40 years between the films the prize for staying the night escalates from $10,000 each to $1,000,000 each, an eye-watering 1,000% increase.
No Nonsense Nonsonnets #43

Cold Topic

A thread most controversial, that’s what I want to start
Full of impassioned arguments, of posting from the heart
And for this stimulation all will be thankful to me
On come on everybody it won’t work if you agree
Old 06-09-2010, 12:28 PM   #3865
handsome

Fellini's I Clowns
t'was interesting... i guess

Vertigo
Soooo how did he figured out their plan (all of it)? how did she fell when she was clearly far from the edge? what happened to the other girl? what was her purpose in all this? How come the beautiful girl liked him that much when they just had a few walks here and there? wth Hitchcock, wth

Tron
Oh Tron, only you can show us how it would be like if 2 programs kissed each other . Had to watch it again before the 2nd one.
Old 06-10-2010, 01:41 AM   #3866
Life and times of...

Musica Cubana
A documentary in the style of Buena Vista Social Club - only this time focusing on young Cuban artists. Though I'm not sure if it's so much even a documentary - it's just a trip (of forming a band from younger Cuban musicians (and an old "legend") who are combining the old with the new) through good music, great views and just the Cuban mentality. It was an interesting movie with great music (not quite as great as BVSC, but still) and after I had watched I just felt irresistibly happy. And had to listen to more BVSC
Old 06-11-2010, 12:32 PM   #3867
tsa
Playing character

The A-Team

I had a very good evening watching the A-Team movie. Granted, it didn't much look like the real A-Team, the characters were great, there were many many very funny things in the movie. The only thing I didn't agree with was that people were killed in the movie. That never happened in the series. You always saw all the bad guys get out of their wrecked cars, or run out of burning buildings or whatever. That made the series so much fun. But apart from that I had a lot of fun. Sometimes there was so much chaos going on that I really didn't know what to look at. And don't ask me about the story; I haven't discovered anything resembling that.
Old 06-11-2010, 06:29 PM   #3868
The Major Grubert.

Splice I'm not typically a fan of this genre, but this one moved me.
Old 06-12-2010, 11:18 AM   #3869
handsome

Three...Extremes
3 shorts from: Takashi Miike (The Box), Fruit Chan (Dumplings) and Park Chan-Wook (Cut)

The Box - the ending was interesting but getting there was just boring
Dumplings - DISGUSTING ... and AWESOME!
Cut - quite predictable

A-Team
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsa View Post
The A-Team
The only thing I didn't agree with was that people were killed in the movie. That never happened in the series. You always saw all the bad guys get out of their wrecked cars, or run out of burning buildings or whatever. That made the series so much fun.
They took the campy out of A-Team and without that (and Mr. T, which i saw none!) it's just not THE A-TEAM.
Old 06-13-2010, 04:59 AM   #3870
Life and times of...

Plus, it has the unbelievably annoying (and rather bad actor) Bradley Cooper.
Old 06-13-2010, 05:01 AM   #3871
handsome

Who? Face? He wasn't that bad, he actually did a pretty good job.
Old 06-16-2010, 09:30 PM   #3872
Stalker of Britain

Just saw Gamer with Gerald Butler. Man, I loved this movie. Yeah, it was just lots of guts and gore, and I definetely could have done without so many boobs, but I loved the idea, of it not just being a game, etc. I loved the communication between the character and the player, and it just really lit up some fires in my brain that have been dormant for far too long.
Currently Playing-Trine 2
Games I Want-Kings Bounty: Warriors of the North!!!, Asylum, Last Crown, Braken Tor, Testament of Sherlock Holmes
Old 06-16-2010, 11:36 PM   #3873

"Soooo how did he figured out their plan (all of it)? how did she fell when she was clearly far from the edge? what happened to the other girl? what was her purpose in all this? How come the beautiful girl liked him that much when they just had a few walks here and there? wth Hitchcock, wth "

All of these questions are answered within the movie.
Coincidentally I watched this movie not too long ago too.

Other movies I watched for the first time:

-Cube
Awesome psychological sci-fi.

-Timecrimes
A spanish sci-fi about a man who has to travel some hours back in time. Can't spoil too much about it but it's awesoem.

-The devil's backbone
Another spanish movie. A horror/fantasy/drama. A beautiful and rich movie
Old 06-17-2010, 05:32 AM   #3874
kamikaze hummingbirds

'The Devil's Backbone' is a great film; I heartily recommend 'The Orphanage', too, which is somewhat similar.
Old 06-17-2010, 07:21 AM   #3875
handsome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Origami View Post
All of these questions are answered within the movie.
Coincidentally I watched this movie not too long ago too.
Then by all means tell me:
Spoiler:
1- how did he figured out it was all a plan from ze husband?
2- the other girl just vanished after her visit to the hospital, whys dat?
3- her purpose besides being creepy with the paiting? come on im waiting
4- really how come the babe liked him soooo much? the dude was clearly becoming a psycho AND they only had some walks which btw were just to confuse him by lying everything about herself
5- aaand its obvious she fell cause of the nun but she was just too far away from the edge, how did she fell then?

___

Funky Forest
wow dang and i thought 'The Taste of Tea' was weird. Speaking of that movie .. their wierd song still haunts the hell out of my dreams

Mystery Science Theater 3000: Chicken of Tomorrow and The Brute Man
Dunno if this counts has a movie but ... IT WAS AWESOME!! i need to see more of this stuff
Old 06-17-2010, 10:06 PM   #3876
Stalker of Britain

Just saw Shutter Island. It was pretty awesome. I've always loved asylums, for some reason, and all of the things they did there for "science". This was a good mystery, and I loved that they threw conspiracy in there. The ending shocked me, although I saw it coming for a little while, but not since the very end, so they did a good job. The whole story fits (pretty well) together, and I definetely enjoyed it. I'll have to watch it a second time.

It kind of reminded me of "Overclocked".
Currently Playing-Trine 2
Games I Want-Kings Bounty: Warriors of the North!!!, Asylum, Last Crown, Braken Tor, Testament of Sherlock Holmes
Old 06-17-2010, 11:57 PM   #3877
Freeware Co-ordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantasysci5 View Post
I definetely could have done without so many boobs
I have a terrible urge to take that quote out of context somewhere.

Red Mist (Freakdog in US)
A group of medical students are partying with some recreational assistance "liberated" from the pharmacy. Unfortunately, Kenneth, the loner caretaker has caught their pharmacy activities on cameraphone and threatens to expose them. To get him on their side they make him part of their partying but inadvertently induce an epileptic fit that puts him in a coma. In a fit of remorse (never a good thing to have in a horror movie) one of the students uses an experimental drug on him to try to bring him out of the coma. This gives him the ability to temporarily take over others from within his coma to enact his grisly revenge.

The "psycho takes revenge on those who wronged him" story is a stock of horror films but it's handled really well here. The possession plot device means the police have no interest (never surprises me how incompetent the police are in looking for the typical slasher killer) because they know who committed the murders early on. There is also a brilliant scene in which the do-gooder, realising from various clues what her experimental drug has done, goes to kill Kenneth and is herself taken over. Cut to completely black scene with the sound of her panicking. She's in a body bag out (zipped from the inside fortunately) in the woods in her underwear. It is only in pieces that she finds out what her body has been doing in the interim.

Definitely a cut above the cookie cutter slasher flicks that Hollywood churns out.
No Nonsense Nonsonnets #43

Cold Topic

A thread most controversial, that’s what I want to start
Full of impassioned arguments, of posting from the heart
And for this stimulation all will be thankful to me
On come on everybody it won’t work if you agree
Old 06-18-2010, 09:28 AM   #3878

I've just watch a wonderful German movie called Kirschblüten - Hanama (Cherry Blossoms in English). The film tells the story of a man who've lost his wife, travelling to Tokyo in order to find himself. A ver moving film, I found.
Old 06-24-2010, 04:34 AM   #3879

Toy Story 3 was amazing. Randy Newman's You've Got A Friend In Me brought a manly tear to the eye.
Old 06-24-2010, 11:43 AM   #3880
Psychonaut

I saw 2 great movies in Times Square this week.

Toy Story 3D was brilliant.

Knight and Day was a hell of a lot of fun.