You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Recent movies seen

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2010, 02:27 PM   #3721
Not like them!

Send a message via AIM to MoriartyL

My father and I went to see Avatar a second time last Saturday night at 8 PM. We got to the theater (a good one this time), and the entire floor was packed with people who wanted to see Avatar. Naturally the tickets for the 8:30 PM show were sold out. The next showing was 9:50, but I didn't know whether to buy tickets for that - it would late, so I'd need my father's approval, but he was parking the car and I didn't have my cell phone. So I waited two minutes for him, and then they were sold out for the 9:50 showing as well. And more people were still coming, wanting to buy tickets for Avatar. (There was no later showing that night.) I have never seen Israeli theaters that packed.

So we went again tonight, but this time we ordered the tickets a day in advance over the internet. They let you choose the seats that way, and all the good seats in the middle had already been taken so we picked the two that were closest to the middle (though that wasn't saying much). We went there, the room was entirely sold out. (And this is with tickets 150% the price of a 2D movie!) But we saw the movie, and it was awesome.

Sitting there, seeing that world in front of me with all its depth and texture, I wished I could smell it, and feel it. We'll get there someday.
Old 01-05-2010, 04:14 PM   #3722
Random

Quote:
And more people were still coming, wanting to buy tickets for Avatar. (There was no later showing that night.) I have never seen Israeli theaters that packed.
Ohh, same here. I'm trying to watch it about 1 week. I think I'll be, finally, able to watch Avatar tomorrow, 3D I hope.

Le Fabuleux Destin d'Amelie Poulain

Interesting and Unique. Yann Tiersen music fits perfectly to this movie!

Playing: Alan Wake
Last Finished: Black Mirror 2 (4/5)
Favorite: Grim Fandango, The Lost Crown, Twinsen's Odyssey, Metal Gear Solid series, Outcast, Syberia I & II.
Old 01-06-2010, 08:37 AM   #3723
the midnight rambler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denaron View Post

His soundtrack was wonderful for Amelie. So whimsical and appropriate for such a quirky little film!
Old 01-09-2010, 06:46 AM   #3724
handsome

Memories of Murder
Loved it, now waiting for Mother (Madeo)

btw here's a great review of Paranormal Activity - http://video.ign.com/dor/articles/99...ty_111809.html
Old 01-10-2010, 02:25 AM   #3725
Pixiehunter

Quote:

One of my favorite movies, just because it is so weird!
Old 01-11-2010, 04:24 PM   #3726
handsome

Tales from Earthsea

Not Studio Ghibli's best work, far from it. Style over substance all the way.
Old 01-23-2010, 10:57 AM   #3727
handsome

Waltz with Bashir

This one shows us that you can in fact look good and still have a good story, you hear that James Cam?

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 231
Size:  48.0 KB
Name:  2.jpg
Views: 233
Size:  17.8 KB
Name:  3.jpg
Views: 242
Size:  49.6 KB

yeah it looks this good - Trailer
Old 01-23-2010, 02:17 PM   #3728
Not like them!

I hated that movie. Not for any political reasons- I just thought the animation was hideous. It looked like what might be cutscenes in a cel-shaded game. I wonder whether I might have enjoyed it with actually good animation; I know that the director of it was one of the writers of a TV show I like a lot. ("B'tipul", which was later translated into English as the inferior "In Treatment".)
Old 01-24-2010, 05:31 AM   #3729
In an evening of July...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoriartyL View Post
I hated that movie. Not for any political reasons- I just thought the animation was hideous. It looked like what might be cutscenes in a cel-shaded game. I wonder whether I might have enjoyed it with actually good animation; I know that the director of it was one of the writers of a TV show I like a lot. ("B'tipul", which was later translated into English as the inferior "In Treatment".)
Have I ever mentioned that you seem to hate everything I love and vice versa?

I loved Waltz with Bashir, for the story as well as the presentation, some scenes were very powerful, sometimes because of this particular animation technique and style.

EDIT: Oh, and In Treatment (HBO) is rather awesome, too - but I admit I haven't seen the original.
Old 01-24-2010, 09:40 AM   #3730
Headbanger

Hunger

Finally got it on DVD. This one is probably on my top 10 list of best movies of all time. Michael Fassbender does the performance of a lifetime. Highly recommended.
Old 01-24-2010, 01:10 PM   #3731
Not like them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuze View Post
Have I ever mentioned that you seem to hate everything I love and vice versa?
I searched through the thread a bit to back up what you're saying. There's something to it, but we both liked District 9, Juno and The Sopranos.

Quote:
EDIT: Oh, and In Treatment (HBO) is rather awesome, too - but I admit I haven't seen the original.
In Treatment is translated from the Hebrew almost word for word, except for taking out references which are clearly Israeli. There are two major differences in quality. First, the American one looks a lot more professional, you know, better directed, better lit, much more impressive sets and props and the like. I think it also had a better soundtrack, though I can't remember. (I do know that they kept the Israeli theme music, though shortened.) As far as production values go it makes the original look downright amateurish. But the acting is where the new show doesn't hold up compared to the original, and since the entire show is just a bunch of people talking, that's crucial. The characters as written are very Israeli. They're direct to the point of rudeness, they're friendly at the expense of professionalism, they question assumptions and have rebellious attitudes. They're ordinary people I might see every day here, and the Israeli cast is so great that it never seems like they're acting. When they gave the same characters to an American cast, something went wrong. My theory is that, not knowing any Israelis well themselves, the actors probably had a hard time getting into the heads of the characters. What seems normal in Israel seems takes some suspension of disbelief if the characters are American. But whether I'm right about the reason or not, the American cast rarely comes close to the quality of the original. I tried watching a few episodes back-to-back between the two versions, and the American actors looked like they didn't know what they were doing by comparison.

I am actually looking forward to the third season of In Treatment, because the Israeli show only had two seasons. That means that they're going to have to write the episodes from scratch, with American characters acting like Americans. I expect that to turn out better.
Old 01-24-2010, 01:55 PM   #3732
handsome

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuze View Post
(...) story as well as the presentation, some scenes were very powerful, sometimes because of this particular animation technique and style.
Although in the end he kinda "cheated".

Withnail & I

..no, nor women neither, nor women neither
Old 01-24-2010, 05:36 PM   #3733
In an evening of July...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoriartyL View Post
I searched through the thread a bit to back up what you're saying. There's something to it, but we both liked District 9, Juno and The Sopranos.
I believe I disagreed with you on quite a few things in other threads as well (but haven't always been vocal about it). But that's just an observation, you always back up your points and I enjoy reading it.

The soundtrack in In Treatment is indeed fantastic, and I'm sure HBO's production tops anything else out there - but now I'd like to watch a few episodes of the original. Have they ever been subbed or dubbed?
Old 01-25-2010, 06:40 AM   #3734
Not like them!

I very much doubt they've been dubbed. But you can probably find subtitles on the internet somewhere.
Old 01-25-2010, 09:13 AM   #3735
Random

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henke View Post
Hunger

Finally got it on DVD. This one is probably on my top 10 list of best movies of all time. Michael Fassbender does the performance of a lifetime. Highly recommended.
I didn't enjoyed it the first time I watched, but I gave it a second chance, and then I realized how interesting that movie is!

I've just finished watching to Estômago (Estomago: A Gastronomic Story), the opposite of Hunger, hehe. It's one of my favorite brazilian movies. Highly recommended, too!

Favorite: Grim Fandango, The Lost Crown, Twinsen's Odyssey, Metal Gear Solid series, Outcast, Syberia I & II.
Old 01-25-2010, 09:52 PM   #3736
Headbanger

Quote:
I didn't enjoyed it the first time I watched, but I gave it a second chance, and then I realized how interesting that movie is!

I've just finished watching to Estômago (Estomago: A Gastronomic Story), the opposite of Hunger, hehe. It's one of my favorite brazilian movies. Highly recommended, too!
I think I've read something about Estômago but I haven't seen it yet. It's the one where some prisoner starts cooking food in prison, right? The best Brasilian movie I've seem so far is without a doubt Cidade de Deus (haven't seen Cidade Dos Homens yet). But then it must be added that I haven't seen that many, I will check out Estômago.
Old 01-26-2010, 07:22 AM   #3737
Random

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henke View Post
I think I've read something about Estômago but I haven't seen it yet. It's the one where some prisoner starts cooking food in prison, right?
Yes, it's exactly that one!

Quote:
The best Brasilian movie I've seem so far is without a doubt Cidade de Deus (haven't seen Cidade Dos Homens yet). But then it must be added that I haven't seen that many, I will check out Estômago.
Cidade de Deus is a good one, I haven't seen Cidade dos Homens either. My favorite brazilian movies:

- O Auto da Compadecida (A dog's will)
- Tropa de Elite (The Elite Squad) If you've enjoyed cidade de Deus, probably will enjoy this one, too.
- Besouro

And Estômago, of course. Tell me your thoughts when you watch it!

Old 01-26-2010, 08:35 AM   #3738
Headbanger

Another friend of mine has also recommended Tropa de Elite so I will definitely see that one.

Have anyone seen 12 meter ohne kopf yet? It should have been released in Germany by now. I'm going to Hamburg next week and I'm thinking about seeing it if it's any good (I will also visit Hamburg Dungeon and the Störtebecker punk club of course ).
Old 02-05-2010, 02:33 PM   #3739
Random

Amadeus - 1984

One of my favorite movies of all time. I think it was the fourth time I've seen it!

The outstanding story of Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, told in flashback by Antonio Salieri. Excellent acting, music and costumes. This film was responsible for awakening my interest in classical music. Recommended!

Old 02-06-2010, 12:57 AM   #3740
Homer of Kittens

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiAgUh View Post
Waltz with Bashir

This one shows us that you can in fact look good and still have a good story, you hear that James Cam?

Attachment 1948
Attachment 1949
Attachment 1950

yeah it looks this good - Trailer
Being from Lebanon, I really can relate to this movie. It was a tough year, the year of 1982.

Firefox rules